Painting Boat

Hey guys looking at painting my boat (the one kelly "the wiener eater") put up the other day. Its a ugly green colour and I want to paint it white. Some people have suggested regelcoating the top (green part) and then sanding it down and buffing it out to give it a shine and then painting the hull with a spray gun (done by pro), reason for this would be gelcoat is a bit tougher and wont scratch as easy, my toughts are this might lead to having two different colour shades and the gelcoat might look aweful haha, what are your thoughts?
thanks alot, and may kelly always eat **** and jeff nish live in eternal internet glory.
bobber jon

Jon, try calling the guys in Port Alberni at Breakers who do the fiberglass work - pretty knowledgeable guys. Let me know when its safe to come over for a gander at the project. Got a little time in next few weeks. Pat

I would paint it with something like Awlgrip a tough polyester urethane topcoat finish.

Great tips...

[ODd7kKQOdyg] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODd7kKQOdyg&feature=related

Try using Interlux Perfection. Do a search on the Hurston I repainted last year -- I posted the pics here. The stuff goes on with a roller and you'd swear it was sprayed on.

Pretty straightforward process. Lots of sanding to remove the old surface -- fill any scratches. Use a primer on the surface, sand again and then roll on the paint.

The prep and sanding is the most time consuming part. Boat looked 100% better when done.

ya i used interlux as well worked great look up my hourston build you can check it out.

Bobber Jon,if you want it painted give me a shout and I'll come take a look at it. Painted more than my fair share of boats and had a few at the vancouver boat show a couple years ago

Alberni, thanks alot for the offer, I might take you up on it. Im in the process of preping it now, sanding with 80 and then 120 grit. Will let you know how she goes. Like everything its a process.

Merry christmas and thanks for all the input.

Ps Pat, Clay and I like lucky ;)
pps the green goes craig, hopefully then ill be aloud to tie up beside your boat.

LOL, it will kill me to buy a Lucky...but I will. That's what Tim got for Christmas, so I can do it. Horrible stuff.

Back