Oxidization on aluminum boats.

TMan

I've been out tinkering on my boat, and I've noticed what I originally thought was salt on my boat. Well since I've rinsed my boat after use, maybe I could have rinsed better... I am assuming I have oxidization going on. Nothing scary. But I notice it. The boat has anodes on it. The battery is out of it. The boat is sitting on bunks on a galvanized trailer. Most every screw in it has Tef Gel on it....so what am I missing? Or is this just normal for relatively new aluminum? Also the boat is 5052 plate.

Attachments

• 20220123_174148.jpg
    20220123_174148.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220123_174622.jpg
    20220123_174622.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 114
I've been out tinkering on my boat, and I've noticed what I originally thought was salt on my boat. Well since I've rinsed my boat after use, maybe I could have rinsed better... I am assuming I have oxidization going on. Nothing scary. But I notice it. The boat has anodes on it. The battery is out of it. The boat is sitting on bunks on a galvanized trailer. Most every screw in it has Tef Gel on it....so what am I missing? Or is this just normal for relatively new aluminum? Also the boat is 5052 plate.
Are your bunks carpet over pressure treated wood? Pressure treated wood doesn’t play nice with aluminum.

Sorry, I posted before I asked my question, Does anybody have experience with this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Trevor.

Are your bunks carpet over pressure treated wood? Pressure treated wood doesn’t play nice with aluminum.
I lay money they are. Will have a look right after I eat here. I had been thinking of putting down some bunk slides to act as insulators. But it could be that they are making my boat act like a battery I guess.

My boat has some of this also. I believe it to be normal. My boat is also newer, and I spend 1-2hrs washing with soap after every use and it still gets it.

My boat has some of this also. I believe it to be normal. My boat is also newer, and I spend 1-2hrs washing with soap after every use and it still gets it.
Good to know. Thanks. Nice to know I'm not alone! I'm going to check my bunks out none the less and take some precautions going forward. Either get slides or swap the bunks out completely. I don't like the idea of having electrolysis issues any more than is necessary.

Wait a minute,all the aluminum boat guys on here have been saying they bought aluminum because there's almost no maintenance compared to fiberglass.That's why you paid those ridiculously high prices for them,RIGHT? :)
I’m offended
Lol that was one of the reasons I went aluminum
No issues for me with this so far

Wait a minute,all the aluminum boat guys on here have been saying they bought aluminum because there's almost no maintenance compared to fiberglass.That's why you paid those ridiculously high prices for them,RIGHT? :)
To be fair my boat is small, home built and relatively inexpensive. No wood in the transom or stringers....I made sure of that...cuts down on maintenance don't 'ya know.

We wrapped the cabin and will let the rest of the boat age over time.

Having the boat in a covered shed and giving it a decent washdown post trip will help..

There are a lot of things that you can do/use to keep the bare aluminum fresh and shiny longer.

I think I would prefer the boat and myself to both have a well used/well cared for patina .

A certain amount of oxidation (patina) is normal - even good as it forms a protective layer. Doesn't look shiny and bright though but it should not oxidize much more beyond this unless there us some kind of problem. If it goes beyond a certain point and gets real bubbly then you may have a bad galvanic reaction. More anodes and isolate all non-aluminum metals on the boat is my advice.

Have you ever wondered how the big rigs you see on the highway keep the all the aluminum looking good after getting hammered with salt all winter? Spray this on, give it a scrub, and rinse off. Then give it a quick once over with polish or wax depending on how much gloss you want.
Most auto parts stores carry it in the back.

Last edited:
Back