Overnighting on a Gulf Stream

Brian Reiber

Have any of the Grady folks overnighted on their Gulfstream's? Michael and I really like them and think they are near perfect for our needs. However, there is one pretty big trade off....that weird bunk bed cuddy configuration. The highlight of my fishing season is our 4 night trip to WH where we sleep on the boat, scatter our crap all over the docks, and just have an awesome time. I worry that the Gulfstream will limit our overnighting making it difficult for 2 people and impossible for 3. Coming from our 20' DE where the cuddy was huge and my 2 boys and I could squeeze in there in a pinch. I'd love to here what others have found for solutions. No suggestions about just rent a cabin please lol. I love spending the night on the boat whether it is dockside or on the hook. Absolutely love it.

Cheers

My wife and I have slept on a couple times & usually I spend 20 plus night a year in it when I'm guiding.. PM me your numeber and i can give you a call and let you know what works for me :) storage can be a issue on the Gradys

They work but you might be saying sorry to your back for many days after your sleep if you sleep. I have seen guys re-configure the cuddy by ripping out stuff inside and making beds bigger. I have a 24 foot Wellcraft and it works for two people but barely. Not to hijack your thread but it might give you answers as well.. has anyone installed some type of "bunk bed" in their cuddy? I was thinking of suspending via strap a hanging type top bunk? Wonder if you can do this as well on a gulf stream? Me and the wife can be on the bottom and kids on top. Just be nice to bring the whole family out and sleep on the boat

They work but you might be saying sorry to your back for many days after your sleep if you sleep. I have seen guys re-configure the cuddy by ripping out stuff inside and making beds bigger. I have a 24 foot Wellcraft and it works for two people but barely. Not to hijack your thread but it might give you answers as well.. has anyone installed some type of "bunk bed" in their cuddy? I was thinking of suspending via strap a hanging type top bunk? Wonder if you can do this as well on a gulf stream? Me and the wife can be on the bottom and kids on top. Just be nice to bring the whole family out and sleep on the boat
Racing sailboats have that sort of system, called a pipe berth. Not known for their comfort.

Have any of the Grady folks overnighted on their Gulfstream's? Michael and I really like them and think they are near perfect for our needs. However, there is one pretty big trade off....that weird bunk bed cuddy configuration. The highlight of my fishing season is our 4 night trip to WH where we sleep on the boat, scatter our crap all over the docks, and just have an awesome time. I worry that the Gulfstream will limit our overnighting making it difficult for 2 people and impossible for 3. Coming from our 20' DE where the cuddy was huge and my 2 boys and I could squeeze in there in a pinch. I'd love to here what others have found for solutions. No suggestions about just rent a cabin please lol. I love spending the night on the boat whether it is dockside or on the hook. Absolutely love it.

Cheers
I have overnighted many times on my gulfstream with my gf. Done a few overnighters with 3 people also . As derby said storage space is an issue but the fold down bunk is great for that purpose .

I’ve slept on mine with me and one of the kids on the bunk.. best set up I’ve seen is to remove the bunk, build a platform that makes the cuddy level and get a foam mattress for the whole width custom cut foam to fit. Then put a small pup tent on the back deck, which is huge, and another two people easily fit there. Mount a storage rack on the hard top for lighter smaller items and you’re all set.

I don't know why they didn't make the bottom a full bed with storage underneath. I've been thinking about a conversion for a couple years but always just end up leaving it. The sink, cooler, cooking area is just an awful design and a waste of space for our use. You could sleep across beam the boat is so wide if it was a full berth.....

Anyone done a modification?

I had an idea the other day about how to sleep more people on a smaller walk around style boat. Has anyone tried mounting one of those small rooftop tents you see on Jeep’s these days on the hardtop of their boat? I’ve never seen it done but it may work. The smaller ones will lay flat in a 6” hard shell when not in use, weigh 80 to just over 100lbs depending on which one you get and can sleep 2 people when open. Pull it off when not in use. Just an idea

Last edited:
I had an idea the other day about how to sleep more people on a smaller walk around style boat. Has anyone tried mounting one of those small rooftop tents you see on Jeep’s these days on the hardtop of their boat? I’ve never seen it done but it may work. The smaller ones will lay flat in a 6” hard shell when not in use, weigh 80 to just over 100lbs depending on which one you get and can sleep 2 people when open. Pull it off when not in use. Just an idea
The Grady is such a beamy boat that I think you could easily set up a small tent on the dance floor or even just lay on a mat under the stars if you wanted to squeeze a couple extra on the boat. The problem for us is we fish the West Coast and weather can be very unpredictable. Even if it isn't raining you will still have to deal with a wet tent in the morning during the month of Fogust.

We routinely sleep 3 on our 23' Hourston - 2 in the cuddy, one in the galley. There's room for a 4th on the motor cover and stern seats - with a slope canvas securing the space - but we hardly ever try to manage 4 on the boat. Its just a bit too much for all aspects of life aboard.

Back