'Over-the-top rant' wrong on salmon farming

islandboy

Letter to the editor in today's Times Colonist;

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/letters/index.html

Times Colonist
Published: Wednesday, March 12, 2008
We'll agree with Terry Anderson ("Sport angler declares war on B.C. fish farms," March 10) that B.C.'s wild Pacific salmon are "magnificent." We salmon farmers also share his commitment to protecting and enhancing this great resource.

But we take exception to the wrong-headed statements in his over-the-top rant against our business. He brings up the long-discounted notion that our industry deposits the equivalent of 100 Victoria-sized cities' sewage into local waters. We regulate the amount of food given to our fish carefully; when they stop eating we stop feeding. Typically, sites remediate within months of fallowing, not five years, as Anderson charges.

He says sea lice transfer is pushing Pacific salmon runs to extinction. Pink salmon runs in the Broughton are increasing and are in line with historical cycles. There is zero evidence for claims of extinction.

He claims "undisputed scientific evidence" supports his inaccurate view. There is considerable dispute within the scientific community. A paper signed by 20 marine scientists and biologists pointing out serious errors in an article published by salmon-farming critics is soon to be published in Reviews In Fisheries Science.

Finally, he says the industry creates "very few jobs." The 500 Marine Harvest employees and the thousands of employees working for other companies and suppliers might disagree.

Efforts to protect and enhance wild runs will be more successful if actions are based on real causes of concern.

Ian Roberts

Marine Harvest Canada

Campbell River

Mr. Roberts, you remind me of a 1950's big tobacco lobbyist trying to tell us that cigarettes aren't that bad. Your family must be embarrassed.

Sounds like the standard schpeel that they spew around here in Oregon. This is a political issue with this being the first shot over the bow, so to speak. Look forward to many more. If they follow the normal tactics they will try to say it often and loud. The idea is that most folks figure it must be right if they print it in the paper. Keep up the good fight boys.

quote:Originally posted by tubber

Mr. Roberts, you remind me of a 1950's big tobacco lobbyist trying to tell us that cigarettes aren't that bad. Your family must be embarrassed.

I am sure Mr. Roberts family is blissfully unaware of the true impact. I was hoping that someone with more knowledge than I would be able to rebut Mr. Roberts with a letter to the Times Colonist.

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/letters.html

Thanks,
Steve

Times Colonist
Published: Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Ian Writes:"We salmon farmers also share his commitment to protecting and enhancing this great resource". Ya - how by lying?

Notice the carefully-crafted PR firm wording: "wrong-headed", "over-the-top", "zero evidence", etc. He then states: "We regulate the amount of food given to our fish carefully" So what? China has what, 1.5-2 BILLION people? I bet they are "carefully regulated". The problem is with the absolute numbers and impacts caused by so many people or fish.

He also states:"Typically, sites remediate within months of fallowing, not five years, as Anderson charges". ********. Many sites never recover.

He then claims "undisputed scientific evidence" supports his inaccurate view. This so-called "paper" purportedly signed by 20 marine scientists and biologists in Reviews In Fisheries Science is merely "submitted" to date - not "accepted", not yet "accepted with reviews". It may or may not be published and with or without any major revisions. Only someone who wants to ******** people would use this as evidence so far, and it is in poor scientific form to even state that it is in review - let alone use it as a reference. They are hoping nobody with a science background will question this news release.

I fully recommend contacting the journal directly and asking if this report has been released. You can contact them at T&F Enquiries Customer Services" <tf.enquiries@informa.com>.

Ask them if:
1) the article has been both accepted (unedited) and released, and
2) if not (which I believe is the case) - Why are the authors releasing details of the report, and that is has been already referenced. Should be an interesting answer.

The article has been quoted as (give this reference to the journal contact perosn):

Brooks, K.M, and Jones, S.R.M. 2008. Perspectives on pink salmon and sea lice: scientific evidence fails to support the extinction hypothesis. Reviews in Fisheries Science 16: 1-10.

Spin doctoring at its finest...Fish farms have hired some of the best to spin their garbage and hood wink us about their industry...
The old saying bs baffles brains isn't going to work with the sport fishing community..
After all, they are talking to the biggest BS artists in the world when they talk to fishermen...
Collectively we have heard some woppers in our time and each told a few as well...;)
Fish Farmers, nice try, ain't workin' with this guy.....[}:)]

Howdy,

Just wanted to take an minute and welcome Agentaqua to the forum.

The knowledge you share here is vital. Thank you!

I know you emailed me already. I urge you to join the Alliance.

Our army is gaining strength - we can do this.

Both Campbell and Harper are going to wear this for a very long time.

Cheers,
Terry

Wild Salmon Alliance

Back