Outboards: Corrosion under hood. Tips?

Finished Business

Folks,

Was busy getting my girl ready for the water this past Sunday. Upon popping the hood and preparing to fire the engine I noticed that there were a few bolts in particular that had some corrosion going on. As a result there was a light dusting of corrosion 'snow' accumulating under the effected hardware.

It's funny how a manufacturer will spend millions in technological design and improvement, but when it comes to small bolts, screws, and pins, they at times neglect stainless steel components. Maybe engines are so reliable these days that they have to 'add' a defect to get you back into the shop LOL.

Anyways, just looking for tips and products guys are using to clean up under the hood. Is there a water repelling, non-conductive grease available? Possibly a spray on of some sort?

Engine: 2013 ETEC 250 HO. Last year was its first season and I logged about 200 hours on the engine, so it was well used last year.

What d'y'all do to keep dem engines purdy and lookin new?

Cheers!

Folks,

Was busy getting my girl ready for the water this past Sunday. Upon popping the hood and preparing to fire the engine I noticed that there were a few bolts in particular that had some corrosion going on. As a result there was a light dusting of corrosion 'snow' accumulating under the effected hardware.

It's funny how a manufacturer will spend millions in technological design and improvement, but when it comes to small bolts, screws, and pins, they at times neglect stainless steel components. Maybe engines are so reliable these days that they have to 'add' a defect to get you back into the shop LOL.

Anyways, just looking for tips and products guys are using to clean up under the hood. Is there a water repelling, non-conductive grease available? Possibly a spray on of some sort?

Engine: 2013 ETEC 250 HO. Last year was its first season and I logged about 200 hours on the engine, so it was well used last year.

What d'y'all do to keep dem engines purdy and lookin new?

Cheers!

Hey FB, Those are stainless bolts, it's the aluminum that's corroding (galvanic corrosion) because salt got in there. Dissimilar metals and salt = galvanic corrosion in any case.

Just gotta keep the salt water out of there and/or rinse with fresh as often as possible. If someone knows of a good spray on preventative measure that would be interesting.

Merc dealers have this stuff in a spray can that is for anti-corrosion.

WD-40 gets the moisture out but probably won't be a long-term anti-corrosive.

FLUID-FILM (squirt-spray) you can get at CanTire.

Some marina stores have a product called Corrosion-Block..........(squirt-spray)....that works good too.

Yes, soak that thing in that merc stuff after you get the corrosion off. It leaves a sticky film

I have been using a thin layer of silcon spray over everything under the hood for years and have never had any corrosion at the end of every season after I change the oils I give a quick clean to everything under the hood and re spray everything agian I don't have a etec I have a F 150 Yamaha but I'm sure you would have the same results

Yes, soak that thing in that merc stuff after you get the corrosion off. It leaves a sticky film

Will have to look into it. What about if you have to remove the sticky film?

The merc option and Fluid-Film seem like the kind of fixes I'm looking for..

When you want the fluid off just spray with a de-greaser and hose it off and then reapply but once on why would you want to remove it?? WD-40 is a good grease remover as well not a protector
I now use Corrosion Block http://www.westmarine.com/corrosion-block--corrosion-block--P004_129_004_507

whats good about this stuff good for electrical etc sprays on like a foam(Aerosol) a bit I put it on everything scotty plugs,sounder ends anything...and my engine spray the you know what out of it....

If you can find it LPS-3 is also great stuff

Good luck wolf

If you have a Wurth salesman soliciting your shop grab a can of their anti corrosion spray. I have been spraying that on my kicker every spring since 09, it still looks like the day I bought it.

WD40 evaporates and is useless for long term protection. It's not even that good as a penetrating fluid. I really don't like the stuff much. There are so many other good products out there.

Fluid Film
Boeshield
Corrosion Block
PLID (ship to shore)

All of these leave a tacky protective coating. I sprayed my new motor down with Boeshield.

PLID ship to store and where you can get away with it nylon or fiber fasteners where any stainless contacts aluminum. I used these for years in several solar mechanical design projects where the products were exposed on buoys offshore for 10+ years. If you didn't do that no chance to remove the fasteners. I also have done extreme environmental testing in a salt fog chamber and its amazing how fast that corrosion happens/stainless to aluminum. That ship to shore stuff was recommended to us by Victoria CCG they use it on everything. That is cool that was posted....I am putting some on my boat as we speak...

Last edited by a moderator:
never a shortage of help round 'er...

I am picking up some Fluid film in the next two days, along with some other minor maintenance goodies. Look forward to having engine look as new again...

picked up some corrosion block yesterday and gave everything a spray.
looks good nice residual today, says it stops corrosion immediately

+1 for LPS 3 and Fluid Film.

I've found WD40 to be "ok" at corrosion protection. For sure better than nothing

Another I've found to be excellent is ACF-50, typically used on aircraft.

Kleen Slip silicone lubricant for everything in the house and on the boat.. I apply after every oil change, spray everything under the hood. I hate greasy products, fluid film is the worst with the waxes and grease it leaves behind.

ACF-50 all the way. Spray it on everything on aircraft 50 year old airplanes still look new. Saw it being sold at boat shows in Hawaii too. Eats corrosion but does leave a waxy film easily removed with solvent if nedded. Cant find a better product outhere LPS3 is also good.

Back