Outboard Water Pump

Red Monster

I had so much fun with the spark plug wires that I may try replacing the water pump.

The last time I had it done it cost big bucks even though I took the leg off and took it in. And I was charged $12 plus tax for "Lube." What's with that? In my manual I don't see any special lube. Do I a need a special lube that cost $12? I would think some 2-4-C would do the trick?

Anyways, I have a water pump kit (which I found for half what I was charged at Mercury). From what I can tell it's just the top of the pump that needs to be changed: the water pump body, the impellor, and some gaskets.

Any words of wisdom? Advice? How to?

Should I for go it? [:0]

I'm a wuss, I never touch my marine engines and leave them in the hands of the experts...

My truck, I do everything on, as if it craps out I'm sitting quietly by the side of the road. But if my boat engine dies in the winter in the middle of an active pass with 10-15 knots of current running, or during a storm with a big following sea, it could be big pine box time...

My humble and cowardly opinion...

Red did mine a couple weeks ago had sombody help that has done it before I would do it my self next time . We just replaced what you listed. Only tought part was getting the shaft back in with the extra long leg. It was pretty basic no suprises.

The lube is probably a dab of vaseline used on the O rings on top of the shaft. helps so they stay in place as you slide impellor on.
$12 should buy you a life time worth.(unless you use lots of vaseline)[:I]

Knuckles, I think I needed a lot more of that lube because when I got the bill for $164 --even though I took off the leg and put it back on-- I felt like I was getting the shaft! [}:)]

Sir, I know what you mean, but I try to do what I can. The boat is sitting in my backyard and I have lots of tools, so I don't mind learning about basic stuff, especially routine maintaince stuff. It helps to be able to trouble shoot for yourself, and my wallet doesn't hurt as much. When I get a new motor, I'll try to keep my hands cleaner.

So I think I've mastered the hard part of the job: getting the leg off and on. That I can do after a lot of trail and error. And I even took notes of what to do and what not to do. Note to self: Remember not to leave the heavier wrenches on the fly wheel because they have a way of finding your head when you're messin' with the leg. [xx(]

But what about the actual pump part? I think I can figure out how to put it back together once I get it apart, and I have a Seloc manual. I have a pump kit. I have grease.

Do I need to use any sealant on the gaskets? Do I need anything else ...other than a hardhat?

Getting the leg ON is the hard part, mainly while aligning the water-pump pickup and the driveshaft at the same time. Re-assembling the waterpump assembly is not such a big deal, just get a whole new housing, plate and seals. Get someone to press the impeller on if you have a press-on style. While the unit is off, get it pressure-tested for leaks, gearcases are expensive.

It is not just vaseline it is a special grease (its blue) so the shaft wont sieze to the inside of the moter,if you miss any thing in putting parts back in you WILL blow up your unit and maybe the moter,I have helped my buddy who is a marine tech. many a time with him in the shop and what I thought looked great he threw out because the water pump itself can have a groove in it or a piece has failed some times you can do more damage "doing it yoursef"on CERTAIN things, I let him do all that moter work for me I do help him alot but why bother he is the professional and a $15,000 boat moter I dont mind paying 164 bucks for a year for matenance is still damn cheap compared to what a new moter costs you.

Good luck Wolf

It is not just vaseline it is a special grease (its blue) so the shaft wont sieze to the inside of the moter,if you miss any thing in putting parts back in you WILL blow up your unit and maybe the moter,I have helped my buddy who is a marine tech. many a time with him in the shop and what I thought looked great he threw out because the water pump itself can have a groove in it or a piece has failed some times you can do more damage "doing it yoursef"on CERTAIN things, I let him do all that moter work for me I do help him alot but why bother he is the professional and a $15,000 boat moter I dont mind paying 164 bucks for a year for matenance is still damn cheap compared to what a new moter costs you.

Good luck Wolf

I know what you mean, but it's not rocket science, and I'm replacing all the pump parts that I'm taking off. Lots of guys replace their water pumps without anyone's help. There's a car in the garage that I completely took apart and restored, and it hasn't blown up. Besides, if I blow up my 28-year-old Merc, I'ld have no excuse not to buy a new one! ;)

I know what you mean, but it's not rocket science, and I'm replacing all the pump parts that I'm taking off. Lots of guys replace their water pumps without anyone's help. There's a car in the garage that I completely took apart and restored, and it hasn't blown up. Besides, if I blow up my 28-year-old Merc, I'ld have no excuse not to buy a new one! ;)

Back