Otter Repellent?

M

Morty

Anybody know of one?The lil ******* keeps popping the snaps on my canvas and ****tin up a storm.I tried some peices of plywood with tons of screws sticking out stategicly placed where he was getting in,but a week later hes back and poopin with a vengence.

quote:Originally posted by Morty

Anybody know of one?The lil ******* keeps popping the snaps on my canvas and ****tin up a storm.I tried some peices of plywood with tons of screws sticking out stategicly placed where he was getting in,but a week later hes back and poopin with a vengence.

Scrub your boat down with a good soap to get rid of any fish smell.

It's Otter Attractant!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:Originally posted by kelly

You could try a mousetrap setup somehow. Might teach him not to come back

Toothy%20Beartrap.JPG

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

you could try a cougar scent. But then your boat may smell worse. I would say give it a good cleaning.

.22 cal subsonic to the bean........ works every time.... right Walleyes........ :D:D My dad had the same problem at Schooner Cove Marina many years ago...... SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Ya SS I was thinkin something along those lines and worse as I was cleaning my boat..twice,but too many eyes around here for that.Dont have to worry about fish smell-itsall otter **** now...even after disinfecting...soaked right through the sleeper coushions-theyre toast.I was talking to a neighbor today that suggested ammonia-supposedly itworks on minks.Ill give that a go tonight.

It's pretty difficult to take sportfishers seriously about ANY conservation issues when the first solution that comes to mind is "shoot the varmint". .

Try dog repellant. Here is a copy of a study done last year to control river otter scat on docks.

Effectiveness of a Commercially Available Dog and Cat Repellent in Reducing River Otter Defecation On Docks

Robert Rorabaugh*, Eric Eisenhardt, Joseph Gaydos, SeaDoc Society, UC Davis Wildlife Health Center

River otters (Lontra canadensis) are widely distributed throughout the marine waters of the Georgia Basin Puget Sound where they primarily feed on numerous species of marine fish and invertebrates. They have a high metabolic rate and defecate at latrine sites on shorelines, playing an important role in the transfer of nitrogen and phosphorus from marine to terrestrial ecosystems. Otters also use docks and boats as latrine sites and offended private citizens have resorted to illegal trapping or shooting of otters in some areas. A commercially available granular dog and cat repellent was tested for its effectiveness in reducing or eliminating river otter defecation on docks. Three docks that contained river otter scat were treated with the repellent and three proximal docks that contained river otter scat were used as controls. River otter scat deposition was measured immediately before and weekly for four weeks following application and differences between treated and untreated docks were compared. Deposition on treated docks was significantly lower than on non-treated control docks, however treatment did not eliminate river otter defecation on docks. Treatment with this commercially available repellent could be suggested as an option to private dock owners frustrated by river otter defecation on docks.

quote:It's pretty difficult to take sportfishers seriously about ANY conservation issues when the first solution that comes to mind is "shoot the varmint".

quote:Just remember, there's a right way and a wrong way to do everything and the wrong way is to keep trying to make everybody else do it the right way. ~M*A*S*H, Colonel Potter

Lighten Up[8D]

.22 Sub sonics would be great on the seals :p if only you could be steady enough with the boat rocking...

J/K but F*ck there are alot of seals around this year, i saw a group of about 45 today off Beachy Head and a dozen more at Big Bedford Rock. Somthing needs to be done eventually!

-Steve

Ammonia seems to work[8D]Its been over a week and no more mess.The first few days it was still popping the canvas buttons, but its not even doing that anymore.I just poured a few capfuls in a shallow bucket with a bit of weight in the bottom and freshen it up every 3 or 4 days.The real test will come next time I check, after getting some halislime in the boat yesterday[:p]

Ha morty, if the problem returns the radio left on a talk show works great. If you don't want the drain on your boat battery get a small pocket radio from crappy tire. A battery lasts a very long time.(months even)

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

Back