Ottawa Says No Fish For You

Dfo is allowing up to 5%, First Nations want it all.

So naturally there is non left to have rec fishing open.

FN must be laughing sll the way to the bank got the whole ocean closed so they can have it all.

Unfortunately FN are screwing over their own future generations by raping and pillaging the resource. Nothing left for tomorrow, blame the government, ask for more money because it will be handed over.

Even if more hatcheries were built within the Fraser system who do you think would benefit the most??? It sure as hell wouldn’t be the sporties.

I think the only way forward is getting support from other bands from different parts of the province. I think many of them don't agree with how the FRAFS handles things. They're making a huge rift between them and the rest of the population that depends on that river. All while doing SFA in calling out the illegal netting, selling and ultimately wasting of the resource. Need a whistle blower from within. When the big guy selling the truckloads out of province is exposed to his own people they'll want his head too.

We should not paint all FN this way.
Almost all region 3 and bands upstream on the Fraser use traditional methods and HIGHLY dislike their downstream fellow FN methods.

Almost all of the bands upstream of the Alexandria bridge get the big picture and conservation side of things within the Fraser!

The canadian way eh? Roll over and take the punishment. Keep paying your taxes. Peasants
Well that's productive. I don't appreciate your comment. I for one would rather be a part of positive change than the guy creating further divide. And yes I pay my taxes. Lots of them.

Well that's productive. I don't appreciate your comment. I for one would rather be a part of positive change than the guy creating further divide. And yes I pay my taxes. Lots of them.

Fair enough and how is saying things like we wont win productive and positive? Spade a spade

It's not I making a divide that's a fact. I do my part keeping the FN rolling I can tell you that.

I'm not racist I'm realistic. That's another fact

The FN aren't to blame, it's the government that lets them get away with destroying the resource's fault. It's human nature, let people do whatever they want with no consequence, what do you expect?

Fair enough and how is saying things like we wont win productive and positive? Spade a spade

It's not I making a divide that's a fact. I do my part keeping the FN rolling I can tell you that.

I mean we won't win without doing something different. We won't win without the support of the masses. Everything is politically motivated now, we'll never win being white guys fighting first nations people. We have to be conservationists fighting illegal poaching. Regardless of who the poachers are. Change the narrative is what I'm saying. Imagine how much better the story would be if it was an "Anglers Coalition" which included FN and commercial fighting against the practice of in-river netting, period.

I def agree with the 2 above posts

If something is not done to make equality then kiss the sport fishery good bye in the future. That's my 2c

What do we do going forward? .. let's start by getting as many passionate anglers who care about the future of rec angling and don't want it to dissappear to band together and make noise, callout the ******** that DFO is trying to feed the media.... I noticed the freshwater guys are getting screwed over as well... They can't fish till Nov1 which is basically the end of the season or very close to it from what I understand. Lots of freshwater guys who can join the cause. Regroup and figure out how we fight back.....this **** they are pulling can't go unchallenged.. What I am 100% sure of is let's accept that what has been done in past few years with letter writing and proposals from Sfab don't work... Admitting that sad truth is a good start.... Don't do the same **** over and over and expect a different result. The strategy was to roll a thousand sided dice and pray and hope it magically falls on the 1 magic number. Not a strategy... Anything strategy different than what we've been doing will be progress in my opinion...

I def agree with the 2 above posts

If something is not done to make equality then kiss the sport fishery good bye in the future. That's my 2c

How much meat is left on the bone? It's bare as bare can be. If this isn't a wakeup call I agree we are finished. Mind as well pull the plug as we are as good as a vegetable on life support...

On the topic of FN fisheries, IMO if DFO is taking such drastic measures against us they must enforce serious changes to FN fishing practices. Make all gillnetting in tidal and non-tidal Fraser areas illegal with high levels of monitoring. Install a handful of fish wheels in strategic locations with quota for each band based on population and reasonable needs. Strictly monitor all wheels and publish all data. Carefully release all steelhead and by catch. I realize this is wishful thinking and potentially far fetched, but such measures would make the rec fishery regs easier to stomache.

Well I can say one things for sure I'm game. I will put all of my boats out there and anchor them in the harbour. If I had 200 boats I would anchor them all. Blocking all freight traffic. Causing a stink.

I personally dont even like bonking springs. I'm more concerned about my business and my clients. Not only that biggest issue is human rights. We as tax payers we dont work for the DFO. They work for us. To maintain and regulate the fishery. Period. Not to destroy our coast and take away from economics.

I was going to interrupt this thread by saying happy Father’s Day to the dads on this forum. However, as today is also indigenous people’s day, DFO just announced that we can only celebrate Father’s Day from 10:00 to 10:30 am and the rest of the day must be solely reserved to celebrating indigenous peoples day.

edit: DFO just announced next year, Father’s Day will get the 10:00 to 10:15 slot.

Last edited:
I’ve heard that the lower Fraser bands have asked for priority access to the hatchery fish in local rivers and that DFO is now considering that as an option. If this is true and if some local hatchery streams remain closed to rec anglers but open to FN, there’d be the opportunity to educate the general public on DFO’s politically motivated decisions. This isn’t about SKRW or conservation but all about kissing FN’s a** and pushing for their Corporate Canada agenda.

From hearing how the chief wants the recreational fishing stopped I think that it is hateful. We shouldn't give into hate and do so by discussions with DFO through SFA and maybe do a demonstration or protest. If the chinook population cant handle meager sport fishing than something is clearly wrong. Increase the fee of our sport license build more hatcheries more equipment and better conservation with monitoring all chinook harvesting. I think the reason we saw the large numbers in 2019 was because the commercial part was restricted. In my opinion something has to be done to please the recreation sector sooner than later. We need to be heard and given credit for the conservation that we do and hopefully other parties will look at the way they treat these fish.

Well I can say one things for sure I'm game. I will put all of my boats out there and anchor them in the harbour. If I had 200 boats I would anchor them all. Blocking all freight traffic. Causing a stink
I realize this announcement is upsetting, but there is no need for crap like this.
With all of the protesting going on right now, this cause has the least likely chance of succeeding. A bunch of seemingly “sportsman” (white-ish) babies crying because they can’t fish hatchery fish the government can’t distinguish from the actually endangered ones. It doesn’t matter what the facts are, only what is perceived. This fight has little hope.

Last edited:
I realize this announcement is upsetting, but there is no need for crap like this.
With all of the protesting going on right now, this cause has the least likely chance of succeeding. A bunch of seemingly “sportsman” (white-ish) babies crying because they can’t kill fish hatchery fish the government can’t distinguish from the actually endangered ones. It doesn’t matter what the facts are, only what is perceived. This fight has little hope.

This will happen any ways when 200 boats try to fish the only area that’s open in west van.

Back