Osoyoos Lake Sockeye 2020

Caught and released a couple in the river north of Oliver last weekend while trying for a chinook. Was slow going the weekend before (Aug 15) as I was late getting out, grandkids don't do early.

Caught and released a couple in the river north of Oliver last weekend while trying for a chinook. Was slow going the weekend before (Aug 15) as I was late getting out, grandkids don't do early.
You see many anglers targeting Chinook? I guess it’s for ***** and giggles?

Yeah just wanted to see if anything was moving around yet (answer: not that I could see). Some big arches down deep in Osoyoos lake that I took to be chinooks. Dropped a ball down there for a few minutes a week back but didn't get a hit.

Didn't see anyone else on the river that day. It was middle of the day and pretty warm, should be a different story in mid
Sept once water temps drop. Must release all salmon of course, but river fishing opportunities are pretty sparse in the Okanagan and i really miss it.

One more week. Closure posted today in FN0901. The fishery closes an hour after sunset Sept 7. Five weeks all up. Can't complain about that.

You realize that there is absolutely zero targeting of salmon unless it’s an open fishery right?
Posting that image alone isn't the most informative given that it actually says you may retain 4 chinooks a month in that image. I get that there are probably fisheries notices that state there are no current openings for chinook, thus negating the retention limit, but to fully articulate your point, it may be prudent to also post a screenshot of the fisheries notice documentation as well?

Back