Options for Silver Streak Challenger

Crabs420

I'm looking to purchase an 18' 6" Silver Streak Challenger center console. There are alot of upgrades they offer and i'm not sure which to consider. I will run this boat around the San Juans for dungenous, salmon, and ling cod. Would appreciate any feedback.

Do you want the T top option? It looks pretty good, self bailing is important of course.
One of the members here had his built so he could use it as a charter boat if he desired, is yours going to be built to whatever those standards are?
Is there a kicker bracket in place, or an inline area to mount one so those offset kicker tie rods don't need to be used?

Do you want the T top option? It looks pretty good, self bailing is important of course.
One of the members here had his built so he could use it as a charter boat if he desired, is yours going to be built to whatever those standards are?
Is there a kicker bracket in place, or an inline area to mount one so those offset kicker tie rods don't need to be used?
Thanks for writing back, it looks like the self bailing is included (you can't see it in the attachments I added). I think the T top would be nice to keep out of the weather. Great question about the kicker i'm going to look into it.

I have the 18’6” Gambier. Same hull with a cabin.
add anything you might need - if it’s part of the boat it will be cheaper that way.

Trim tabs ( or at a minimum the mounting plates),
Dual batteries,
power socket,
upgrade switches,
upgrade wiper,
scotty plugs,
ask about larger fuel tank - they got mine to 200 litres under the self bailing deck.

my use is likely much different than yours. I went as basic as I could and added things later but some would have been cheaper from the factory.

i would look at a hewescraft instead. silversteaks are built very heavily and have reduced payload capacity as a result. also center console for BC is meh. for that kind of money you can get an ocean pro which is a far more capable boat with the same amount of deck space.

I have the 18’6” Gambier. Same hull with a cabin.
add anything you might need - if it’s part of the boat it will be cheaper that way.

Trim tabs ( or at a minimum the mounting plates),
Dual batteries,
power socket,
upgrade switches,
upgrade wiper,
scotty plugs,
ask about larger fuel tank - they got mine to 200 litres under the self bailing deck.

my use is likely much different than yours. I went as basic as I could and added things later but some would have been cheaper from the factory.
I bought a new Challenger HT just over a year ago (after a year long wait). I love the boat - it's great for fishing and family time. HT makes a huge difference for comfort in all weather conditions. It bangs a bit when waves are on the quarter, but it's a tin boat! I've been in some serious snotty weather and I've never felt unsafe (only maybe a bit queezy).

Assuming others here have convinced you of the HT, I'd agree with Whistler's comments. Suggest you get the washdown and pantographic wipers. A 9 inch chart plotter would have been nice too. Dual helm makes fishing solo totally doable, and is great for when you're just cruising with friends. I chose no rails on the gunnels and transom - I like the look better and like to sit up there. I wouldn't have bothered with the upgraded bow roller (unless you're going to get a tensioner) or swim ladder. There's a design flaw (in my opinion) with the swivel chairs they scrape the window frames and they're not particularly good quality anyway so eventually I'll upgrade to a Shockwave set up. If you're going with the stock seats, at least get the folding armrests. It might be obvious to more seasoned trailer boat people, but drum brakes are a no no if you're putting in to salt water regularly; suggest disk brakes only.
Attached a few photos for fun!

Attachments

• b9880414-32b0-430f-bcfa-a5fcf46b895b.JPG
    b9880414-32b0-430f-bcfa-a5fcf46b895b.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4127.jpg
    IMG_4127.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 68291669563__058AAF89-73F5-48D6-8243-C0790B576CAB.jpg
    68291669563__058AAF89-73F5-48D6-8243-C0790B576CAB.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Nice looking challenger!

I agree 110% with the dual helms, makes my challenger super easy to fish solo.

I bought a SS Gambier 18.6 as well, in 2019. One thing I requested and received was extra reinforcement of the hull forward of the fuel tank. Happy I did as it's held up really well. I wish I'd increased the size of the fuel tank, but I still have a normal range of about 190km with the 35 gallon tank.

My wife really wanted the transom door for ease of access at the dock for her and the dogs. I wasn't too keen especially at the cost, but in hindsight I love having the transom door because when I'm loading/unloading the boat after using it I can easily walk in and out of the boat in the driveway, no ladder, just a small step stool required.

My wife really wanted the transom door for ease of access at the dock for her and the dogs. I wasn't too keen especially at the cost, but in hindsight I love having the transom door because when I'm loading/unloading the boat after using it I can easily walk in and out of the boat in the driveway, no ladder, just a small step stool required.
Pisses me off too when the wife is always right.

Back