Optical Zoom camera

seascene

Crew Member
In my retirement living on a sail boat for nearly 14 years cruising BC waters many wild wonders have gone by without photo. For all those years I have a 1/2 doz pics. Family friends frequently ask about the lifestyle so I decided to learn video editing to post vids on youtube... convenient for all to see and is working out very well. I have a go pro hero7 cam ...does a great job. However there is no zoom and (for example) I missed out recording an eagle kill on a seal which was an unbelievable revelation of the power and guts of an eagle. Just wondering about a (as compact as possible, as I do a lot of backpacking) optical zoom camera without all the wifi crap. I would need this camera only from time to time to catch some of the amazing scenes that the go pro just can't get close enough. Most of the situations that I wish I had a zoom were in the vicinity of under 200 yards. Many thanks in advance....

The job you describe is best done with a DSLR. More bells and whistles than you want in many respects, but really its the only system that gives you optics with capability for wildlife photography.

PS, I too witnessed a golden eagle take and eat a seal pup, was 20-odd years ago. No phone in pocket in those days of course. Could have taken National Geographic quality footage.

Ya - there's a few spots on the coast that seem to attract pupping female harbour seals in the spring. Those areas also attract eagles. Sometimes that is how one can identify these areas that female harbour seals go to give birth - by checking-out the eagles. I haven't yet been there at the time for an eagle to successfully take a newborn pup. You two are lucky guys.

An aside - I have seen an eagle swim a fish back to shore twice. Twice I have seen a pissed-off eagle (unsuccessfully) chase a gull. The gull (both times) was smart enough to keep flying in a tight spiral strait up - where the eagle couldn't match the turning and climbing ability of the gull. Also have twice seen an eagle try to take diving ducks (again, unsuccessfully) - but those chases last quite a long time as the eagle essentially tries to drown the duck. Also seen a group of eagles gang-up on a blue heron rookery and take their young.

Another aside - I was also present when a transient pod of orcas was teaching their young how to smash a seal. Quite the show. Anytime you see a seal on a log and afraid to get off - you know there's a pod nearby.

IMO what you want does not exist - small camera that zooms to 200 yards. You will need a fairly large zoom lens.

In my retirement living on a sail boat for nearly 14 years cruising BC waters many wild wonders have gone by without photo. For all those years I have a 1/2 doz pics. Family friends frequently ask about the lifestyle so I decided to learn video editing to post vids on youtube... convenient for all to see and is working out very well. I have a go pro hero7 cam ...does a great job. However there is no zoom and (for example) I missed out recording an eagle kill on a seal which was an unbelievable revelation of the power and guts of an eagle. Just wondering about a (as compact as possible, as I do a lot of backpacking) optical zoom camera without all the wifi crap. I would need this camera only from time to time to catch some of the amazing scenes that the go pro just can't get close enough. Most of the situations that I wish I had a zoom were in the vicinity of under 200 yards. Many thanks in advance....
What is your YouTube channel?

What is your budget for this camera?
Thanks.... should have been in my post for sure. Hoping to stay under $500. I did a google on compact optical zoom cameras. I am looking into them now....seems to be a few. Thing is... I want just basics. Bang for the buck on camera does not need bluetooth of all things on the newer models.

Thanks.... should have been in my post for sure. Hoping to stay under $500. I did a google on compact optical zoom cameras. I am looking into them now....seems to be a few. Thing is... I want just basics. Bang for the buck on camera does not need bluetooth of all things on the newer models.

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ-300 with a 25-600 mm zoom. It's water resistant and has extremely fast focus, auto exposure, and burst mode. The touch screen is great. All controls are easy to use. But the image quality farther out than about 300 mm is just mediocre. My friend has a Nikon B700 of the same style (non-interchangeable zoom lens, AKA "bridge" camera), which zooms out to 1440 mm. Her pics taken at 1440 mm are much crisper than mine at 600. Both cameras have the same size sensor (1/2.3"); same as most other point-and-shoot cameras. Maybe it's the overall excellent quality of the Nikon, which cost about $500 a few years ago. Mine was $800 back then. I think they're down to $500 or $600 now.

Good luck finding a superzoom camera with "just the basics". I find all electronics these days are loaded with features.

I had a look at your Youtube vids. Very nicely done! Jealous of your lifestyle! Congrats on living the dream!

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ-300 with a 25-600 mm zoom. It's water resistant and has extremely fast focus, auto exposure, and burst mode. The touch screen is great. All controls are easy to use. But the image quality farther out than about 300 mm is just mediocre. My friend has a Nikon B700 of the same style (non-interchangeable zoom lens, AKA "bridge" camera), which zooms out to 1440 mm. Her pics taken at 1440 mm are much crisper than mine at 600. Both cameras have the same size sensor (1/2.3"); same as most other point-and-shoot cameras. Maybe it's the overall excellent quality of the Nikon, which cost about $500 a few years ago. Mine was $800 back then. I think they're down to $500 or $600 now.

Good luck finding a superzoom camera with "just the basics". I find all electronics these days are loaded with features.

I had a look at your Youtube vids. Very nicely done! Jealous of your lifestyle! Congrats on living the dream!
BB.... thanks very much appreciated by this novice in that hobby. A search produced mountains of too much info. I will check out your suggestions.

Looks like a few sales on right now for the Nikon B600 which is basically a bit souped up 500. Of course there is a 700 900 and 1000 but really seems nit picking for my needs. Thanks for helpful reply.
Gary

Back