Opinions wanted: keep the sleeper seats or go with an alternative?

Here is what we did to our DE176

Third and fourth passenger can sit on the lid of the igloo cooler that is getting a new cushion on the lid.

Should be tons of fishing space...

image.jpg

ee3376e1a8cfc0c2f87e30c6b27bcc03.jpg

X2 on the tempress seats. Really comfortable Second season on thoseseats

I did the same . Removed the sleepers and replaced with swivel buckets. Turned the boxes into storage and it was one of the best mods I've done to a small boat.

The original vinyl on the both the port and starboard sleeper seats in my 1986 Double Eagle 16 is completely finished. Cracked and the foam is exposed etc.m Either I pay to get them reupholstered or I do something different.

Reupholstering is not cheap and costs about the same as new sleeper seats, roughly $1000.

The boat rarely has more than 2 people in it and it is a fishing boat. This means I'm thinking of possibly doing what others have done, namely ditching the sleepers altogether and going with two regular boats seats on swivels mounted to the tops of the "boxes" that the sleepers sit on. (Might also need a small pedestal to get enough height.) I could get simple checker plate aluminum tops easily made for the tops of the boxes. Hinged with locks, they would be handier and more secure storage than I have right now. Seats would bolt to the checker plate tops. Another advantage is that stepping on top of the checker plate to get in to the boat won't kill my seats like it has with the sleepers. Swivelling seats also seem better than sleepers for all fishing purposes, especially when trolling. Finally, it will free up a bit of fishing space.

This might be cheaper, but maybe not. But I'm wondering if it's a better option.

I'd be grateful to hear opinions from anyone as to the pros and cons of making this change, whether you have done something similar or not.

If you are mostly fishing from your boat, then I'd go the sleeper and pedestal combination. I haven't done this myself, but I think the pedestal seat might leave you good rod storage space down the inside of the starboard gunwale. With a sleeper, the back rest is tight to the inside gunwale, making this area to short for a full length rod. A pedestal might give you more room. Someone who has this configuration could confirm this though.

Depends if you or wife want to nap while out in the boat. My wife likes the boat and water but does not fish. So she takes a nap at times in the sleeper seat. I have used mine also while night time sturgeon fishing. Mit my boat is a 21' boat, so more room.

@fixit, does the dog ever confuse the bigg butt jigs for his fluffy...:eek:

btw luv your mascot :)

I finally got this project done, just in time for the good weather fishing. Here are some pictures. Lost more fishing room and much easier access to storage.
7e187a115af3f3515fb37cc048e2104a.jpg
07ef091dfd1a9700f6cf20bd120e57c4.jpg
6fc15ff366a808281df2e5a9525094ce.jpg
0e582532240b4856bd22783f9f2d1797.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that looks great! nice design. very functional, especially the way the seat folds up and allows you to fully open! looks like tons of storage room.

Thanks. It turned out well. I thought of making the seat bases hinge in the middle, but that was more complicated and also wouldn't have allowed as much storage or as easy access to the storage area.

It is almost always just 2 of us fishing, so this setup maximizes fishing and storage room. If there are additional passengers, they will sit on padded seat cushions or life jackets for now. I could bolt in 2 more swivel seats later on. Total cost for this was less than $200 for the two seats, the 3/4 MDO plywood (and I've got quite a bit left over), and stainless steel hardware. I had leftover Interlux Interdeck paint from painting my deck. New sleepers would've been between $800 and $1000, so I'm pleased.

I'm looking forward to enjoying the new setup and all the space.

Good job SP.I have a smaller runabout as well and have pondered about getting rid of the sleepers but not losing the
storage underneath.Looks like you have the best of both worlds there.I may have to do something similar on my boat.

I redid the seats in my 17ft DE this spring. Tempress seats and Garelick swivel slides. Way more room and a lot more usable storage not to mention a better sitting height! The Garelick swivels lock and are amazing!

IMG_6174.jpgIMG_6175.jpg

Back