Opinions on the new Trophy XL Tyee LR Mooching Reels

Reel_Crazy

Just wondering if any of you have had the chance to look at or use the new Trophy XL Tyee LR mooching reels (the small ones)?
Was thinking they might be good for trout fishing paired with a light Trophy 9' rod.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciative.

1619044455365.png

Just wondering if any of you have had the chance to look at or use the new Trophy XL Tyee LR mooching reels (the small ones)?
Was thinking they might be good for trout fishing paired with a light Trophy 9' rod.

View attachment 64607

Didn’t even know those existed lol sorry can’t answer your question but definitely interesting would be sweet for trout I would think.

Interested as well!

I have two of theses fenwick 9’ rods I would like to put them on for Coho fishing.

View attachment 64607
I just bought one the other day, pairing it with my Trophy Titan 2106

Attachments

• 2A719481-5F56-4664-9CBA-1DADF48F7F21.jpeg
    2A719481-5F56-4664-9CBA-1DADF48F7F21.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 3195DD0E-6A5E-4410-BDBB-9959EC57EB5E.jpeg
    3195DD0E-6A5E-4410-BDBB-9959EC57EB5E.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 38
I’ve been using a prototype for a while now. They are great setups for freshwater. I have it paired with the lite mootcher from trophy as well. Caught some nice rainbows on it!

Attachments

• B95377DD-220F-40B4-B0B7-E171AC3D9BDF.jpeg
    B95377DD-220F-40B4-B0B7-E171AC3D9BDF.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 92
  • E0EC8ABB-3F28-4E31-A397-0E23B68332B9.jpeg
    E0EC8ABB-3F28-4E31-A397-0E23B68332B9.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 90
yeah, exactly what I was thinking. Paired with the Trophy TCS590C
Thanks for the heads up on these reels! Just picked up two on sale in black and copper for my Trophy TC590C rods that I use on the lakes, ideal size I'm thinking. Will be posting the larger (QR) full size ones that I was using for sale, can't justify having four with the salt water restrictions we now have to deal with.

Thanks for the heads up on these reels! Just picked up two on sale in black and copper for my Trophy TC590C rods that I use on the lakes, ideal size I'm thinking. Will be posting the larger (QR) full size ones that I was using for sale, can't justify having four with the salt water restrictions we now have to deal with.
Nice! I picked up too if the same abs look forward to using them ASAP. Keep me posted on how you did.
Also I kinda like the copper look

Nice! I picked up too if the same abs look forward to using them ASAP. Keep me posted on how you did.
Also I kinda like the copper look
Normally fish fish in the Caribou for rainbow and kokanee every July and hoping to use them, but right now I can't get there from here. Hope the Covid slows down and we can leave the Island

Kinda bringing this thread up from the dead, came across it while searching google…
‘Seeing if any of the above peps who still own these reels can comment on them. Now they’ve been on the market for a while….
Happy with them?
Any issues?
What are you targeting with them?
That sorta thing…
Couldn’t find much online….

I use mine specifically for bucktailing for rainbows. I’ve got it setup with 2 colors of lead line and have caught lots of fish on it. I wouldn’t recommend using it for that as it’s a metric $hit ton of reeling. It’s a small reel and has a slow pickup rate which kinda sucks. It would work great for fishing off the rigger but I have different setups for that.

I bought two last year and paired them with 9’ HMX rods. Very happy with my purchase.

I initially got them for my kids, they think it’s cool having there own rod to pick gear, depths and catching there own fish. I also added the Scotty tether to them so I have no worries of them loosing a rod and reel. It’s a perfect size for a kids at 6 and 7. This year will even be better as they are a little bit bigger and stronger.

However when the kids aren’t fishing with me I find myself pulling the rods out as well . It’s a a fun fight when you get a 15+ LB spring on one. Caught lots of springs and coho on them last year.

Used mine last summer in the caribou for rainbow and kokanee on down riggers worked very nice. Carbon fiber drag washers as smooth as butter, very happy with them.

I use mine specifically for bucktailing for rainbows. I’ve got it setup with 2 colors of lead line and have caught lots of fish on it. I wouldn’t recommend using it for that as it’s a metric $hit ton of reeling. It’s a small reel and has a slow pickup rate which kinda sucks. It would work great for fishing off the rigger but I have different setups for that.
How much line are you letting out?
I’d be running these on downriggers, but on the lake like 100ft back, plus the distance down…

Back