Old picture near Sandheads

Coyote Spooner

99DF1390-3C1D-49A5-AD34-5FE4D881E9F8.jpeg
I’m a member of this FB page. So credit goes to them. I enjoy these old pics of BC. This one definitely hits home, as I’ve spent many days fishing here. I guess it’s always been bumper boats out there? Someone commented that the packer boats (the steamship in the pic). Would tow the boats out to the grounds and then back to Steveston to offload.

View attachment 83987
I’m a member of this FB page. So credit goes to them. I enjoy these old pics of BC. This one definitely hits home, as I’ve spent many days fishing here. I guess it’s always been bumper boats out there? Someone commented that the packer boats (the steamship in the pic). Would tow the boats out to the grounds and then back to Steveston to offload.
Anyone know more about this? How they were catching them etc?

Anyone know more about this? How they were catching them etc?
I took a book out of the library, a few ago, that was about a fish hatchery, up in River’s Inlet. It was really interesting. It showed all the aspects of living, in remote areas, and working/ living at the hatchery. The hatcheries were owned by British citizens/Canadians. Alot of the fisherman were Norwegian and Japanese, and FN did a lot of the processing and canning. Tough life!!

I believe the fisherman used the same techniques as The Tyee Club. Rowing with a rod and using an artificial lure.

I’ve been to the Cannery museum in Steveston. But can’t recall what they had on display? I’m sure they have some displays about this history.

I took a book out of the library, a few ago, that was about a fish hatchery, up in River’s Inlet. It was really interesting. It showed all the aspects of living, in remote areas, and working/ living at the hatchery. The hatcheries were owned by British citizens/Canadians. Alot of the fisherman were Norwegian and Japanese, and FN did a lot of the processing and canning. Tough life!!

I believe the fisherman used the same techniques as The Tyee Club. Rowing with a rod and using an artificial lure.

I’ve been to the Cannery museum in Steveston. But can’t recall what they had on display? I’m sure they have some displays about this history.
Thanks!

There are some interesting articles on the fish trap industry in point roberts/boundary bay. I imagine they went from north arm to tsawwassen. Pretty ruthless. Still lots of evidence on the beaches. Like a massive boiler on Mable Beach. I believe it's Goodfellows boiler He boiled salt water down to use the salt to preserve the fish.

Back