Okuma Cavalla Mooching reels (review?)

PNW

It's not an Islander, I know. But it's in my pricepoint and it cranks left hand like the MR3. Not much of brand name guy, but usually do like to support the local companies. Higher priced Okuma fly reels have served me well so...

I've ordered one. Any body own one (or more)? Let's hear the good, the bad, and the ugly (about the reel, not the brand).

Thanks in advance.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15122&SearchTerms=okuma

I've tested the mooching reels for them i couldn't get one to last 5 days of hard fishing they get very grindy quickly.The drag is very touchy as well.I hope your is better than the few i tried.

Thanks Dogbreath for the link, but I says nothing about the Cavalla mooching reels (don't care about the brand itself). It only talks about conventional/spinning reels and I'm asking about the mooching reel because I've had good luck with their higher end fly reels.

http://www.okumafishing.com/family/284094

quote:Originally posted by PNW

Thanks Dogbreath for the link, but.....says nothing about the Cavalla mooching reels.....

quote:...There (sic) center pins</u> and seemed to be well built.

The original question is about the very reel you're asking about-but it's referred to twice as a centre pin</u> not a mooching reel.

NOTE-Okuma only makes the one moocher.

I used to sell Okuma and would own one unless you paid me to use it-even then......[V]

I've read on other site that people who run a maintenance intensive regimen have decent results-that is to say tearing it down and re-greasing/re-oiling/cleaning after each use.YMMV

dfd1a01998c45a411685f796b21db6ca.jpg

I bought two of them and have yet to try them. I have to say, they look very well engineered. Will provide update after July 1rst long weekend after 4 days in Sooke....

Pescador

That's what I was thinking pescador, and why I bit.

Again thanks dogbreath. When I skimmed through that thread, my brain didn't catch "cavalla" or "moocher". "Centre Pin" to me means a castable steelhead float fishing reel for streams as it does to most steelheadfisherman (Okuma's Aventa for examaple). Tomato, Tomato. That thread seemed more like an Okuma bashfest than usefull info on the particualr reel that show up this week. My question is does anyone own/regularly use the $369.99 USD suggested price Cavalla (not a 60 dollar throw away lodge/charter specials)? Doesn't sound like many have.

Apprieciate the help.

Reel showed up today and will see action in the morning. Hopefully a worthwhile chinook will make it break a sweat.

Pssst........if you want a cheaper reel Trophy QR4.5!!

Just got one....just got back from using it for a week....very pleased for the price point.

Now....converting it to LHR.....that may be a bit tough. What hand do you hold your beer with when you drink it? This really could be the deciding factor.

the Okuma is about the only higher price point mooching reel that converts from right to left hand easily. That and the lever drag feature are what makes the reel sort of unique in the market place. So far most reels sold stay sold unlike some of the other new this year, not quite so expensive reels out there.

No fish on the Cavalla. Just us two anglers went 2/4. Switching from right to left was infact a breeze. Drag seemed smooth and solid without a fish test. Lever will have to grow on me, but probably would work better for a right hand cranker. Wish the free was free'er. Wish it had finer drag adjustment. I'm liking it so far overall, but only time will tell. Really like the silent one way clicker.

Used my two new Cavalla's for 4 days in Renfrew last week. The drag adjustment takes a while to get used to. I found that there was line creep at one setting and the next up was too tight for my liking. Maybe it will improve over time and usage. I lubed them up and that still didn't seem to change anything. I still think the overall engineering looks solid.

Pescador

Back