O'Ki vs Hot Spot

I'd sure like to get the shiny smooth silver tape or metal finish I see on a couple of the fishing shows. Never seen them in the stores.

I use HOT SPOT as i have had oki before and have seen then snap right in the middle many times and hence lost both fish not saying its a bad product by any means just like comparing ford to chev... LOL..

Try this test get one of each drop them on the floor listen to the sound then grap each BEND them in half and see how far you can go ..... post your finding .....
I buy the ones from TROTAC as they have sampo swivels on BOTH ends all you do is put a berkley guick change snap on it not a big deal.....

Wolf

Just ordered jack's book from amazon. have read alot about it. 13 bucks shipped.

oh yea, I prefer the spots but beggars cant be choosers.

I'd sure like to get the shiny smooth silver tape or metal finish I see on a couple of the fishing shows. Never seen them in the stores.

PNT!!! i use mirror/chrome flashers quite often

Thanks all, gonna grab a couple and give them a go. I do notice that I have a couple flashers that seem to kick harder than others. This winter I have had 75% of my fish on the Green blade glo tape w orange stripe/silver mylar tape.

Good read, I prefer the hot spot green as first choice, if nothin on first pass few passes. I pull one up and switch to a Abe n al #2 (short one). I usually add 3-4 barrel swivels ahead of the flasher.
Ya ya I know ab n al.... Everyone just fell otta there chairs. Yellow bucktails

Sent from my C625a using Tapatalk

I personally don't care as long as they have sampo swivels-oh and have green on them!!LOL-and I should add late summer I do like the red striped ones but honestly if you have to start worrying about your flasher colours to catch fish- you have more problems than just your flasher!!!

I've noticed that at slower speeds the hot spots will pause and then change rotation direction after 6 revolutions, going from clockwise to counter clockwise, over and over again. Haven't found this to be the caswe with others.

I've noticed that different brands seem to have different characteristics in terms of arc, rotation speed.

Also noticed that some cheapo brands are very flexible thin plastic. Because of this flex, when you pull the flasher through the water, the resistance changes the contour of the flasher at times resulting in erratic operation.

I like a stiffer plastic flasher that will hold it's shape.

I think the original hotspot with it's gnurled indentured metals strips on both sides affects the rotation speed nicely, as opposed to flashers that have shiny surfaces or shiny tape on both sides.

The actual thickness of the plastic flasher affects the rotation and "tracking" characteristics of the flasher.

If you have a flasher with one side that is completely different from the other side in terms of finish (eg:- one side is completely rough-surface glow tape and the other side is silky smooth paint etc).....this will affect the rotation because of the two different surfaces.

Thin,light ,"flexy" flashers will turn faster and be more erratic in tracking.

I have a couple of old Hotspot "Super" Flashers......these look like reg Hotpots except they are thicker and heavier.......they roll slower at troll speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of cheapo imitations I see P-Line no longer makes flashers they were around for a few years but I never did buy one.

Anyone still own a Tomic flasher?

They are great big thick really well made old units that make great dummies-cheap too if you can find one.

I personally don't care as long as they have sampo swivels-oh and have green on them!!LOL-and I should add late summer I do like the red striped ones but honestly if you have to start worrying about your flasher colours to catch fish- you have more problems than just your flasher!!!

lol very true - as long as you're using purple/glow hotspot. 60% of the time, it works all the time.

Back