okanagan lake questions

jekern1015

I plan on towing my boat up to Okanagan lake next week in hopes of fishing for the kokanee. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start looking for them. We will be spending a few days in Kelowna. We plan on fishing the morning hours and then hitting up the wineries in the evening. Fresh Salmon and a good bottle of wine sound really good for dinner. I also plan on hitting Stump lake and Kawkawa lake sometime during the rest of the week. I would also be open to any starting points on those lakes. I have also been giving some thought about putting my boat in the harbour and looking for salmon, but not sure if I want to deal with the saltwater. Thanks for any info you are willing to share with me.

49 57' 50" 119 28' 31" out front of McKinley Landing is the only place I try for kokanee because we have family property there.
Launch by the Grand hotel or in Okanagan Centre. Beware of lots of debris in the water after this week's creek blowouts.
Google Earth just north of Kelowna.
Wood Lake has bigger fish but the limit is 2 not 5 and it has been a slow start on Wood this year.

I caught one that was about 3.5lbs on a buck tail that I was fishing for bows right on the surface. They like flashy stop I don't thing there is a better or worse spot just don't fish too deep they are on or near the surface. I think the parking at eldprado and launch is better then the grand. IMO

JAC is right El dor. is better for parking and the biggest fish are in OK. lake. But for every big one the next 10 will be 9-10". In Wood they are all 14-17" it seems most years.

Wood Lake has bigger fish but the limit is 2 not 5 and it has been a slow start on Wood this year.
You got that right, two 8 hour days using everything in the box, not a single hit. Same for 18 out of the 20 boats out there last weekend. Should pick up soon though.

Back