Ok who hit the Tyee mark this year ???

Last one (and only) tyee was a 33 pound hog caught off five finger island in Nanaimo. Took two netting attempts but finally got her in the boat. Nice to catch a tyee but I'll probably be releasing the next one I catch.

Attachments

• 20190531_111232.png
    20190531_111232.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 153
I think there are a few guys on this forum that think tyee means 30 inches and have been saying they got 35's and 40's lol. My biggest to date is still a 27 right off the bell in late August. Every "25 pounder" I caught this year turned out to be 19-20 after using a real scale. But like everyone else I lost a dozen 40 pounders RIGHT AT THE BOAT!
Caught a few 40's years ago and a few 30's in Port Renfrew. 1st fish this year was really nice. I told my friend and boat hand that if "that isn't 25 lbs I'll kiss your butt". Being the Capitain is all that saved me from this an embarrassing event brought on by me and my 19 pounder.

my recent goal in fishing world is to land a solo tyee,, I had it on the deck one morning at Keeha, pumped and exhilarated I thought I had done it... back to the dock, unbled and on the scale. nope 28.5.. several solo efforts put in, but could not crack the tyee mark on my own...
guided a 34.5 out on big bank.

the solo quest will continue...

Was just talking with an old fishing buddy I use to fish with a lot before he move up island and he was down recently and could not get a hold of me (I was fishing) but he did get out with another friend for his first trip of the year and nailed a legitimate verified 31lber at Otter that put him in the #2 Chinook position on the Island Outfitters leader board. He said he lost another similar size Chinook that day. There are a few around. Fishing spoons and plastic.

Last edited:
My dad has not ever caught a tyee and he has been salmon fishing off and on since the 1980's. He did loose in the 1980 a 45 ponder out of Campbell river after him and his dad fought it for 45 plus mins on an old style knuckle buster. Grampa missed netting in the first time and the second time it came to the boat it rolled on its side and spat the hook. it laid on its side staring at them exhausted and my grandpa went to net it by its tail and it shot off like a rocket. My dad has hand lined multiple 200+ size halibut but the tyee still remains elusive.

Nice one. What year was that?
Pretty sure that was 3 years ago.
Just realized OP was asking for this years fish. Biggest for me this year has been a 27 pounder we let go to make babys.....15-18 pounds gets the bonk! Better eating by far.

Pretty sure that was 3 years ago.
Just realized OP was asking for this years fish. Biggest for me this year has been a 27 pounder we let go to make babys.....15-18 pounds gets the bonk! Better eating by far.

That is a gorgeous Tyee you got, especially for this end of the Island in the modern era. I posted one that was 4 years ago.

most of my fish mid teens to low 20’s. Did release an upper 20’s in late July before 80 cm rule came off but didn’t have a scale so wasn’t sure but lot bigger than others I caught. To tell you the truth I really don’t need anything bigger than the mid to upper teens. Plenty of fish for me and good eating and easy to handle. Past the trophy fish stage.

I had a 37 pound fish get into my gear at Otter Point on August 3rd. It was a friends fish and luckily I was able to lift all my gear, get another boat that was going to troll between us to do a quick u turn and not run over the line...then keep the line tight until the friend was ready to take up any slack that me letting go of the line was going to create. Watched him finish it off and saw a nice big tail break water just ahead of it being scooped into the net. The next time we passed he had weighed it and confirmed 37 pounds. Biggest I know of this summer.

I had a 37 pound fish get into my gear at Otter Point on August 3rd. It was a friends fish and luckily I was able to lift all my gear, get another boat that was going to troll between us to do a quick u turn and not run over the line...then keep the line tight until the friend was ready to take up any slack that me letting go of the line was going to create. Watched him finish it off and saw a nice big tail break water just ahead of it being scooped into the net. The next time we passed he had weighed it and confirmed 37 pounds. Biggest I know of this summer.

Jay Jandrew I assume.

2 in my boat from Renfrew , One just a little over 30 weighed in at the marina and a much larger one released in early July

I think there are a few guys on this forum that think tyee means 30 inches and have been saying they got 35's and 40's lol. My biggest to date is still a 27 right off the bell in late August. Every "25 pounder" I caught this year turned out to be 19-20 after using a real scale. But like everyone else I lost a dozen 40 pounders RIGHT AT THE BOAT!

I agree there is lots of shotty guessing, keep a tape on board , length and girth will give a better representation of the size of the fish , 41 inches plus you’re in the territory

I agree there is lots of shotty guessing, keep a tape on board , length and girth will give a better representation of the size of the fish , 41 inches plus you’re in the territory
I looked at that fairly close this year when lots of barely tyees were being called 45 and 50! Found several known examples of larger fish that were weighed in past and measured and it seems over about 45, that formula is seriously hit and miss - I mean /800 works ok for some, but considering its just as easy to be out 12-13lbs, whats the point?

Some documented examples I have found fyi - obviously the fatter they are, the bigger the error.

Actual .............................. /800
58.5" x 37" = 97...................100
54 x 31 = 63 ......................... 65
55 x 29 = 64 .........................58
47.5 x 31.5 = 47.................... 59
48 x 35 =62.5 ......................73

Back