Oh Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you really want to get into posting negative articles about another country Billy Bob. Having said that I hope you don't see the need to bomb us into seeing things your way. If you do though, maybe you can use environmentally friendly munitions for a change.

Frankly, Reelfast, I'm not sure what your point is but I find it somewhat ironic that you would post that, since many of the oil and mining companies operating in Canada are American.

sounds like the Chinese are the companies involved there bigbruce. just read that article, didn't write it, thought it was most interesting to see the changes occurring just to the north. you are looking more and more like the US as each day goes by, too bad and sorry for yuz.

denial with get you nowhere CK.

BTW, I don't try and defend the idiotic policies and decision my government makes. take a clue, get involved and see what you can do. frustrating as it is, we are all an army of one and I vote, how about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who did you vote for the Tea Party? Might have been better if you stayed at home. You're like an annoying neighbour who stands in his waist high weedy back yard and gleefully points to a dandelion in his neighbours garden.

I vote RF. And I also understand that ours is primarily a resource based economy and if we want to maintain the standards we have achieved for ourselves we need to continue to exploit those resources. I'd suggest you continue to do your bit in your Country - and you apparently have lots to deal with down there - and not worry your noggin about ours. We will do what we can to sort things out without your help.
And yes, there is Chinese money involved in the oil sands up here - as well as American money. And I'm sure you're also aware that the Chinese Government is probably the largest holder of US debt.

ReelFast: are you really trying A weak attempt at a flaming our Great country on it's 146th birthday?? by insulting all of Canada with a article featuring a blacked out Canada flag ..WEAK.. wanna throw facts about China around? how but they fact that they fund their whole military with just the interest they make off of the trillions of dollars owed to them by the U.S... Don't worry bud we will find a good article for you in just mm i dunno 3 days time??:confused:

"Basically, Canada has been the United States -- not as it is, but as it should be."

IMHO, if the article stopped there, it would be about right. However, I must admit that lately Canadian politics seems to be edging a bit towards the not so great side of American politics - e.g. more "conservative" = more sympathetic to big business and less concerned about the environment. Regardless though, I'd take Canadian gov't over what we currently have any day of the week. And BTW - Happy Canada day you lucky Canuckies!

Wasn't it Mulroney that said, when negotiating NAFTA with the U.S.:-

"You can have everything you want and that's my absolute final offer"......

naw, I voted for 'hope and change' and got a pantie wasted incompetent for president. then we add the two do not much senators from WA and we get what we deserve.

your best hope here is that mr. president denies your pipeline request. I really get sick and tired of our country being taken advantage of for pure profit by others. not to mention the rape of the boreal forest you folks are supporting up there.

it is interesting that you can't take criticism by a writer who is pointing out the obvious, pitty. change will never come for you with that sort of old school 'empire' mindset. so instead of responding to the points the author was making, you want to lynch the messenger. down this way, we are quite used to debating our government, the good, bad and ugly. we are also quite used to talking about the stupid decisions and environmental havoc our government continues to create. take a clue, drop the defenses and start having honest discussions.

Tough crowd... It should be pointed out that this article is from "Andrew Nikiforuk is contributing editor to the Tyee," he is a Canadian folks.... We seem to choose to target the messenger and not so much on the message. Why is that?
There are some interesting comments to this article that are worth a read on that link that was provided.

We have a carbon problem and our current solution seems to be more carbon. I don't understand the logic to that. Maybe someone that has posted on this thread can fill me in.

Nice work Reel Fast ....... blow it out your back side or should I say just Blow it UP !

Don't ever forget it was the Great US of A that is the ONLY country to ever use a A bomb matter fact 2 of them that killed Thousands and thousands of people with after effects continuing to this day. Way to go USA.

Happy Canada though.

HT

Tough crowd... It should be pointed out that this article is from "Andrew Nikiforuk is contributing editor to the Tyee," he is a Canadian folks.... We seem to choose to target the messenger and not so much on the message. Why is that?
There are some interesting comments to this article that are worth a read on that link that was provided.

We have a carbon problem and our current solution seems to be more carbon. I don't understand the logic to that. Maybe someone that has posted on this thread can fill me in.

What's your practical solution? Doesn't take much intellect to point out a problem or should I say repost someone else's take on things, which is what got this going. Posting a viable solution on the other hand , does require intellect and the balls to defend your position. The internet is full of experts, self proclaimed as well as actual ones. I have no problem with the message, but I also consider the source and timing. IMHO this was posted as a dig . People who live in glass houses! Perhaps you're a better man and can overlook the hypocrisy.

What's your practical solution? Doesn't take much intellect to point out a problem or should I say repost someone else's take on things, which is what got this going. Posting a viable solution on the other hand , does require intellect and the balls to defend your position. The internet is full of experts, self proclaimed as well as actual ones. I have no problem with the message, but I also consider the source and timing. IMHO this was posted as a dig . People who live in glass houses! Perhaps you're a better man and can overlook the hypocrisy.

It absolutely was a dig and the timing was on purpose and uncalled for IMO. Reelfast started off doing this with every second post on here when he joined. I thought he was doing well lately until now. Just because Canada is in the environmental lime light right now does not mean we should forget about the past or what is currently going on in other Countries.

This quote of his is priceless. "I really get sick and tired of our country being taken advantage of for pure profit by others." I almost fell out of my chair laughing so hard. Probably the most hypocritical thing I have read on this forum.

It's simple really, stop exploring for or expanding carbon sources and start working on solutions. We will need oil, gas and coal for the foreseeable future but we can't burn all we have on the books without burning up the planet.

Nice work Reel Fast ....... blow it out your back side or should I say just Blow it UP !

Don't ever forget it was the Great US of A that is the ONLY country to ever use a A bomb matter fact 2 of them that killed Thousands and thousands of people with after effects continuing to this day. Way to go USA.

Happy Canada though.

HT

yes, Harry Truman had a tough call to make. hundred of thousands of US military had lost their lives in the Pacific theatre. the prospect was for hundreds of thousands of additional lives to be lost. I can't say I envy that president or that decision. do you read the history of WWII, especially the pacific theatre???? my dad was out there defending the free world, including your interests high tide. I might suggest the book 'Unbroken' for a vivid look at what was going on with this part of the world war. once you read that, come back and kick some more sand.

back on topic, alternative energy sources are the only solution we have to reduce the overall carbon footprint we are stamping on the earth. the governors of WA and OR are up to their political eyeballs trying to stop the coal trains from entering these two states. it is in the news frequently and the political struggle often becomes front page headlines. the citizens of the US are not afraid of this debate and certainly recognize the ecological impact our country is making on the world wide stage.

1,000 stream and river crossings with a pipeline that is going to leak seems like a pretty big problem that needs the light of day. and yes, Canada wants to take advantage of a cheap route for another pipeline right through the heartland of the US for sheer profit to your government and the rapists in Alberta. sneer all you want but that is the bottom line here.

not facing up to your impact on the world stage seems the norm for you folks. probably a good reason the net pens have continued to advance and the boreal forests have been destroyed, never to return. deny your role on the world stage is not such a great response from you posters. instead blame the US for everything that is wrong in the world seems an easy way out of your responsibilities.

perhaps you will wake up some day to actually see what you have allowed to be destroyed on your watch.

The Chinese may have their foot in the door but they are having a hard time moving the American foot as it blocks most of the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back