Oh boy!

Those attitudes would slowly fade away by sitting at the same table talking about one another's fisheries and core needs. A lot of what people in our community think is wrong about what other stakeholders say about us generally has origin in their lack of real understanding of the facts around the public fishery and vice versa us about their fishery. For example, some comments about poor or no catch monitoring of FSC fisheries say a lot about what our sector doesn't know about how FSC fisheries are monitored....sitting in meetings with FN's communities we learned that they use the exact same methodology as we use to monitor our catch and effort. Are there bad actors....yes, but I challenge anyone in our sector to show that there are not also bad actors amoung us.

Thanks good perspective and agree.

You expect to work together with other groups while having a 365 day a year ocean chinook fisher? C'mon man you know that's not possible. No other sector has anything even close to that. You must realize in order to create dialog with other groups that C&R and MSF will have to go. No other sector has anything even remotely close to it.

Where have you been? We don't have a 365 day a year ocean fishery anymore. Furthermore, part of establishing these round tables will be enlightening FN groups to the economic benefits of the sport fishing industry. This has worked extremely well on the WCVI in particular and can be replicated all over the province. I have not met one serious person who does not agree with the constitutional right of the FSC fishery. Rather it is the widely abused commercial sale of these fish that drives people crazy. If we can show there is way more economic viability to these fish by legally harvesting them with sport fishing customers by FN operators I believe we can drastically reduce the in river illegal fisheries while at the same time using the data collected by the sport fishing industry to target fish from healthy runs, including MSF designed for human harvest. This would also allow band members to harvest additional fish for FSC purposes, while avoiding the species at risk in river.

Where have you been? We don't have a 365 day a year ocean fishery anymore. Furthermore, part of establishing these round tables will be enlightening FN groups to the economic benefits of the sport fishing industry. This has worked extremely well on the WCVI in particular and can be replicated all over the province. I have not met one serious person who does not agree with the constitutional right of the FSC fishery. Rather it is the widely abused commercial sale of these fish that drives people crazy. If we can show there is way more economic viability to these fish by legally harvesting them with sport fishing customers by FN operators I believe we can drastically reduce the in river illegal fisheries while at the same time using the data collected by the sport fishing industry to target fish from healthy runs, including MSF designed for human harvest. This would also allow band members to harvest additional fish for FSC purposes, while avoiding the species at risk in river.
Have ever been at one of those round tables? It’s a never ending barrage of reverse discrimination and hard edged views. I quit going because there is no give and take. The FN’s will stop at nothing short of the banning of sport fishing on “their” fish

Might be worthwhile to read up on the law and history.

The rights wrt FN access to aquatic resources stem from:
1/ s.35 of the Constitution Act (1982) (the Act that other Acts generate their authority from)
2/ Other Treaties and Acts where they exist,
3/ the Honour of the Crown wrt intent when negotiating Treaties and other agreements w FN,
4/ Case law ruling in detail on the above.

Case Law is actually quite specific about the duties required on both sides wrt actions/negotiations/consultation, and wrt the details of the past laws/Acts and the necessary steps, and checks and balances that need to be wrt the details of FN right to access and assertions of Traditional Territory.

Although often tedious reading (due to the legal language - esp. after a big lunch) case law is available online at: https://www.canlii.org/en/

It's worth punching in key words - sorting for the most relevant & recent court decisions - and reading the logic the judge uses in deliberating.

Back