offshore weather ?

S

saltybeaver

Just wondering what most of you do before running off shore for weather forcast ?what to look for .

Look for a wave duration that is more then the swell hight in feet. Eg 10 ft seas at 8 seconds ia a lot worse then 10 at 12. Otherwise, look for projected winds and direction. Port Renfrew you can count on a Westerly wind which is the norm, but an Easterly is quite bad because it really stacks up against the swell which usually comes in from the southwest. Add an eastery to a hard tide, and you have troubles, Wind, tide and the usual direction of the swell and any large tides factor into my choices.

when theyre curling outside beale and my bow is diving into the side of the waves and the back of the boat is filled with water its time to turn around.....

If I am going a significant distance offshore I suggest keep an eye on reports with wind direction, wind speed, wave period and wave height. In advance, get to know your area and check out the site with the weather bouys for the area near where you fish i.e. look at wave height and period relative to wind direction and speed. You will notice changing wind direction can be as much, or more problematic, than wind speed. While I get a good sense when I am out there I think I am better prepared when I do my homework and know the area.

I typically get a weather report the evening before I go out, compare the conditions to the report once I am out, and if it looks like it's changing, I keep my VHF weather channel on and monitor conditions. If you a venturing significant distances even in the inside passage up the inlets and around Johnston Strait you need to understand wind direction, wind speed, tide, wave height and period.

Back