OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
a fitting end to my shortened season at the Cap tonight, only had the boat in the water 10 days and got out 5 times. Got out there at 5:15 tonight and within half an hour had a pretty 5# chrome coho in the box, fished for about 45 mins and was about to call it a season when the top rod hits I could tell it was a spring but didn't think it had a lot of size to it, steered out to the middle to play it out, I usually fish alone and never reel up both lines I just keep fishing the second rod while landing the fish. I got this one close and got a look at the tail and thought Holy **** I've got a tyee here!! still kept fishing the second rod, when the fish ran between the boat and the other rigger and the flasher snap swivel fouled in the second line I was starting to doubt my reasoning for keeping that one down! managed to get the rod under the boom and then just cut the other line I only had a naked herring on it anyway. I finally netted the fish and saw it was definitely over 25# but not 30# Built like a Columbia River fish short and fat like a tank, a nice white male huge, wrist and tail. I could have fished another half hour but decided to end on a high note. Both fish hit the chovie at Frank Mahovilich, or was it Darryl Sittler? Doubt I will ever stop fishing the second rod while playing a fish still looking for the double header with 2 tyees LOL

Very good story. Glad you got it in. Very nice way to end the season. I think I'll still keep at it for a bit as long as the weather isn't too lousy.

Any reports from Sandheads recently? Got a group of newbies out Saturday and don't feel like fishing my boat at the cap with a green crew if I don't have to.

Still good numbers of fish moving into the Fraser so the mouths will fish, just right place right time like all season for the Fraser mouths this year.
Good water and best chances for a bite I think are found at the Cap.

I'm still looking for a big fish off the Fraser so will continue to try until late October,

Wind looks light today, will probably give it a go at the north arm this afternoon. No action and I'll poke around the cap for the evening flood.

Still good numbers of fish moving into the Fraser so the mouths will fish, just right place right time like all season for the Fraser mouths this year.
Good water and best chances for a bite I think are found at the Cap.

I'm still looking for a big fish off the Fraser so will continue to try until late October,

Wind looks light today, will probably give it a go at the north arm this afternoon. No action and I'll poke around the cap for the evening flood.
exactly what I am doing today, heading out about noon to hit the north arm and then finish at the cap, a buddy got 15 1/2 hatchery ho at the cap yesterday afternoon, saw the pic, a real beauty, biggest hatch ho i've ssen caught there.

'Capped' one @ 15#
100' o water 39' on the rig flasher chovy

Last edited:
Good bite off pink apt at 615. 2 hatch hos Jack spring and lost a good nook at the rod tip. Beauty evening.

Edit: two good ones lost...night bite!

Last edited:
Fished the cap 3:30-6:15 tonight. We had one hit right at the mouth but didn't stick. Not many nets out but there was a massive fleet out tonight so I suspect the fish were spooked. Glad I don't fish the weekends, but good luck to those who'll be out this weekend.

Well I said 2 days ago I was done for the year. Found a big container of brined anchovies at the back of the fridge and just couldn't let them go to waste.

Got out solo around 130 this afternoon and fished the North arm for 2 hours with not a sniff. Decided to brave the cap around 345. Stayed out of the pack for the most part to the west along ambleside and out in deeper water. Managed my 2 hatch coho after about 2 hours. Woulda had them much quicker if I hadn't lost 4 of them. Had a real big fish on for a few minutes, would guess a 20+ chinook from experience... But it wasn't meant to be, long line release...

3 or 4 pin poppers with shredded Chovy that didn't stick.

All told probably 12-15 hits in only 2.5 hours, left at 615 to head home. Wish I knew what it was I was doing right this time, nobody else seemed to be getting that much action.

I decided to go prawning and crabbing in Howe Sound, it was great as there were lots of crabs and prawns as well. The Coast Guard showed up and asked me to move my traps as they were sounding for sponge bottom. I spoke to some people on board the boat and we can expect more closures next year in Howe Sound.

Any reports from Sandheads recently? Got a group of newbies out Saturday and don't feel like fishing my boat at the cap with a green crew if I don't have to.

Was there 10- 2:45 today. Probably 25 boats out. Searched and searched 30' - 90' with anchovy and the odd spoon but nothing but little shakers for us.
Saw one guy land one but that was it.

Wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Will be off the dock in 6 hours....may run to SH or run across the Bay for the high change at the Cap first.

Lots of surfacing and jumping coho's yesterday ..packs of em and really nice sized, fished Ambleside 70-80 on the rigger , bring lots of anchovies
i went through 1 and a half packs on the coho's ,get out there before the rains .it's gonna be a busy one there tomorrow ,pretty packed .
all out in 70-100 of water from the launch ... lots of boats hooking up on coho most action was between 12-3pm

Out of the 15 or so boats here....already 2-3 tacking all over the map. Don't think we'll be here thru what will soon be a **** show.

Lol. Yesterday there was a boat tacking diagonally through the whole fleet. I was the third boat with clear right of way that had to take last minute evasive action. As they go by I notice both on board are playing with rods and neither seemed to be looking where they were going. I asked who was driving and they say "the autopilot" proudly. Can't fix stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back