OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya Scotty's pretty good that way. Just make sure to clean all the seal fur off the rigger cable before you bring it in for servicing. :)
Scotty should develop a new product and call it 'seal puller'. Have been sealed 7 times this season so far - two of them with complete gear loss :mad:

We seem to have an unusually robust local seal population compared to other areas of the coast.

Yes we most certainly do:

"The highest concentration of Harbour Seals in BC is in the Strait of Georgia, which has an average density of 13.1 seals per kilometre of shoreline. In other areas of the BC coast, densities average about 2.6 seals per kilometre"

"The total population of Harbour Seals in British Columbia was estimated in 2008 to be 105,000, of which about 39,000 were found in the Strait of Georgia region"

"Food requirements of individuals vary by age and sex but average 1.9kg per day."

Quotes are all from Marine Mammals of BC, by John K.B. Ford.

So that means that every day the seals in the Strait of Georgia need to consume 163,000lbs of food!!!! That's almost 60 million pounds of seafood over a year. Mind boggling numbers. As if the Fraser river salmon don't have a tough enough time with all the other challenges - imagine you are a fish and have to run through that gauntlet twice before you can successfully reproduce. Time for a good old fashioned cull (like the one in place up until 1964) in my opinion.

Interestingly, BC Aquaculture facilities (another threat to wild salmon) can get a "Nuisance Seal Licence" to shoot seals that are interfering with operations - from 1990 to 2011 approx 6,000 seals were killed at BC Aquaculture facilities.

Interestingly, BC Aquaculture facilities (another threat to wild salmon) can get a "Nuisance Seal Licence" to shoot seals that are interfering with operations - from 1990 to 2011 approx 6,000 seals were killed at BC Aquaculture facilities.
Maybe that's the answer, get a bunch of "farmers" in front of the rivers and in the strait, then have to it, legally. The diseases might hurt the returns but the federal government is more concerned with doing as little work a possible anyway, they wouldn't have to do all this regulation stuff as they let the "farmers" regulated themselves pretty much already. Just kidding.

The whale song idea is not bad, maybe just have it continuous and the seals will move on their own.

Washington and Oregon saved their salmon by having a seal cull and results have been beyond incredible. They now have record returns going back 100 years and the seals are still plentiful.

Last edited:
So that means that every day the seals in the Strait of Georgia need to consume 163,000lbs of food!!!! That's almost 60 million pounds of seafood over a year. Mind boggling numbers. As if the Fraser river salmon don't have a tough enough time with all the other challenges - imagine you are a fish and have to run through that gauntlet twice before you can successfully reproduce. Time for a good old fashioned cull (like the one in place up until 1964) in my opinion.
That also doesn't count the 4 or 5 thousand sea lions that migrate up this way.

Hooked into 2 large springs at North Arm around 3pm , only saw one and he spit hook 10 feet from boat. Lousy luck lol I did notice the color was darker and not chrome at all.

Hey BM....what depth were you working? Likely will be out on the weekend but given the reports from Sandheads it may have "sealed" :p the deal for me to stay Bell/North Arm area or maybe down to T-10.

Hey BM....what depth were you working? Likely will be out on the weekend but given the reports from Sandheads it may have "sealed" :p the deal for me to stay Bell/North Arm area or maybe down to T-10.
Hit them at 70 feet, I was there for about 4 hours and fished beside Predator and other guides but never saw a net out. I was about to pack it in when it started pouring rain and suddenly fish were biting. I also fished Cap and BB , I had single hook rigs on which is why I probobly lost both fish as those barbless singles come out pretty easy.

Dirty ****** seals is all I'll say. Time to start bringing my .270 out there with me. No time to worry about rookie net jobs when they don't even make it to the boat. Ah well about time to call it a season. Sure been one to "remember". Gunna work my honey hole at the vedder a bit and head to the woods for a moose. Good luck out there boys.

Looks like a good weekend for wind. I'll be out there on 88a. Seals were crazy last weekend at Sandheads. Every fish I saw hooked up ended up sealed.
Two observations, it seems the seals stick with the fleet of boats, push off the fleet and much much less seals are seen.
Second, ran no flashers for a couple fish, no seal problems. Ran flashers and had it sealed.
10" whole herring was the ticket. Awesome fights sans flasher.

Whales where from south arm to north arm i thin it was the j pod i counted over 60 whales so i doubt fishing will be good today

Dirty ****** seals is all I'll say. Time to start bringing my .270 out there with me. No time to worry about rookie net jobs when they don't even make it to the boat. Ah well about time to call it a season. Sure been one to "remember". Gunna work my honey hole at the vedder a bit and head to the woods for a moose. Good luck out there boys.
I know the firs
Looks like a good weekend for wind. I'll be out there on 88a. Seals were crazy last weekend at Sandheads. Every fish I saw hooked up ended up sealed.
Two observations, it seems the seals stick with the fleet of boats, push off the fleet and much much less seals are seen.
Second, ran no flashers for a couple fish, no seal problems. Ran flashers and had it sealed.
A 10" whole herring? I would figure the seals would grab that.

I'd agree. Ive had them bump my line, I'm guessing they test the flasher out to make sure they can't eat it.

We have used whole herring and havent had a issue with seals but the Seaguls just like anchovies see that and grab it a lot quiker then a chovy !!

We were out last weekend and went 3 for 4 all around the green buoy at Sandheads. All about 15 pound red Chinook. I saw seals all around and was really surprised we did not get sealed.
One thing we did was keep our speed up after getting a fish on. Maybe the speed puts them off I don't know. Might have just been the luck of the draw.

Sandheads is going to be epic when several thousand Harrison Whites show up en mass in a week or so... F the Cap!

We used to catch chum at the Cap,Burrard Inlet ,North and South Fraser arms. Where did they go? Makes best salmon candy.

Got a few chum off the Fraser last year. Used to get them fishing the north shore now and then, but I haven't caught a chum there in a while. I think even the Chum stocks have declined in recent years.

Ive heard of a few chum caught. Last year i went to the stave to have a peak in the boat and i seen thousands of them so that system should be good still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back