OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow today at the sandheads for me. Lost my lucky flasher right off the bat on what seemed to be a nice fish. Got it to the surface then the main line snapped. Should probably check my line more often. Might try again tomorrow.

Ya pretty slow lost one hoho and were still here and its still dead. O well the two seals that surface next to the boat with 15 lbers hanging out of there mouth, least means there are fish here, lol

Put in a full shift at the Sandheads today...rough morning and the tide was pumping with 40+ boats...a few shakers and one jack before lunch...the water calmed down and hit a low red teen on a army truck teaser at 35ft. By the afternoon there were half the boats but a slow day out there and lots of seals

anyone try the mouth of the Cap lately? Seemed to be a bunch of boats fishing out there today. Didn't bother going out today after not even a nibble at Sandheads yesterday....

Fished All day today, 630am to 530pm.
Started at the North Arm, 1 Jack, 1 Shaker around 900am, left at 1030...
Next T10 till 1230pm, nothing...
Sandheads till 530pm, nothing...
Fished in all depths from 25-70...anchovies and hootchies...mainly anchovies, ran a hootchie for the last 3 hours...
At the dock, 4 boats, only one with a fish at 18lbs...
Might give it a try next weekend of things pick up...

I did hit west van in the afternoon. Worked from Pt Atkinson down to the Cap. A little bit windy, so thought it might be worth trying the north shore for a change, and to get out of the wind. Cut a couple strip from what wasn't grade A bait, but all I had and trolled it aimlesslessy for the afternoon. All it attracted was one strike and a dogfish. I was trolling it super slow looking for a big spring, but no luck. First time in a long time that I couldn't even scare up a small Salmon.

Didn't see much on the sounder, and I only saw one fish caught. It was a coho at Ambleside. I didn't work the cap mouth area for very long because no sooner did I get there than the Cops showed up and started nudging guys out of there. So I can't really say if there was any action at the Cap but because I wasn't around there long enough.

There were a fair number of boats working the north shore to stay out of the wind, but really only saw the one net out for a coho. Looks like it's a little early yet for the Cap run, but I figured it was worth a try. Should be happening fairly soon though.

I did hit west van in the afternoon. Worked from Pt Atkinson down to the Cap. A little bit windy, so thought it might be worth trying the north shore for a change, and to get out of the wind. Cut a couple strip from what wasn't grade A bait, but all I had and trolled it aimlesslessy for the afternoon. All it attracted was one strike and a dogfish. I was trolling it super slow looking for a big spring, but no luck. First time in a long time that I couldn't even scare up a small Salmon.

Didn't see much on the sounder, and I only saw one fish caught. It was a coho at Ambleside. I didn't work the cap mouth area for very long because no sooner did I get there than the Cops showed up and started nudging guys out of there. So I can't really say if there was any action at the Cap but because I wasn't around there long enough.

There were a fair number of boats working the north shore to stay out of the wind, but really only saw the one net out for a coho. Looks like it's a little early yet for the Cap run, but I figured it was worth a try. Should be happening fairly soon though.

Thanks for report, I was thinking of doing same thing Tues but hopefully catch something lol fishing in a big pack of boats fighting seals is more a young man's game.

Fished Sandheads from 12 to 730 got 6 fish one 14 lb white 4 undersize and one Sockeye , had 4 decent hits that didnt stick also , watched a boat fight a seal from 7to730 lol

We started at Sandheads around 7:30am. Ran anchovies exclusively using a mix of 'with flasher' and 'without' setups. My plan was to give each location a ~90min effort and move if we had no action. Nothing for us at Sandheads, T10, North Arm, or the Bell. We did see some bait at the Bell but didn't see much on the screen anywhere else. I had a friend out with me today. We were about 3 hrs into the day when he asked me if I wanted a banana - yikes! Naturally, I blamed him for our bad luck :). From the reports it sounds like his damn bananas messed up the day for everyone!

Back at it tomorrow hoping for better success and will ensure the yellow bad luck charms don't find a way on board! ;-)

Good luck out there to everyone who is out today. Fished Sandheads yesterday 7:30 - 11:00. Then T10 11:30 to 1:30. Not even a sniff for us. Only thing caught was a submerged crab trap at Sandheads. 100 feet of rope in 80 feet of water doesn't cut it with those currents. The winter and spring were OK, but it has been a tough July & August for me out there this year. Last year it seemed I could do no wrong. This years slump has me wondering if I can do anything right? Better check the bilge for a rotting banana!

Season is almost over...sniff sniff....trees are starting to turn already and it's blowing SE 15 knots with gusts to 20..... Don't put 'er away just yet because hopefully the whites are coming....but for most the fishing days are limited.... The countdown is on...35 days until the end of the season....more if they open wild Coho off the Fraser in mid-late October.

If you have any Anchovies in the freezer....use 'em up and get out as much as you can.

Fished sandheads 5pm to dark yesterday. Had 4 hits, one long line release, and 3 undersized to boat (one was just undersized). 3 of the 4 hits were on a chovy 35-45 feet. The other hit on a white hootchie. Didn't see much action from any of the other boats out.

I have never seen so many seals as I saw yesterday eve.

9am start this morning at Sandheads on the way back from Saltspring. Two springs in the box and a really, nice big one that snapped my much better half's leader after a good battle. One large wild released also. All in all, ok.

At Sandheads last couple hrs. Hooked into two Springs. Just lost the second to another seal. Second lost this week to seals!! Worst part is he took all my favourite gear!!!

anyone try the mouth of the Cap lately? Seemed to be a bunch of boats fishing out there today. Didn't bother going out today after not even a nibble at Sandheads yesterday....
We were there at first light until Noon. Not a bite. Ripped over to the BB and I think they were shooting "Waterworld 2" over there by the looks of the 100's of boats there. Didn't see one fish caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back