OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed out in a while should have lines out by noon. Good luck out there Clint. Can't report from the water but Fishweather.com says 9 off Sandheads. We're going north arm to t ten. Crossing my fingers hoping for big Smiley . Good luck every one.

HT

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what rules the whale watching boats have to follow? Watching a dozen 50 foot whale boats chasing the orcas up and down Sandheads all day long at 10 knots, seems a bit over the top...

thanks for the reports guys and it's nice to see some springs around.

Now that the derby is over I suppose I can contribute a quick report since I was in it and on the water all weekend. Weather was so-so Saturday but fishable and beautiful all day yesterday (Sunday). There were close to 50 boats in the derby which made for some exciting starts to the day with everyone racing around to their lucky starting spots. Fishing was good throughout the weekend for our boat as we had 8 spring hits on day 1 and another 6 yesterday. A handful of dogfish around as well... usually picked those up when fishing deeper (80+ feet). We rocked 4 rods with chovies most of the derby and had most of our hits in the 80-100 ft range which was deeper than most other boats where hitting fish at (30-60) but we were getting fish so why change. We ended up with 6 fish in the mid to high teens but fell just short of the podium with a few of them which was disappointing. I think the top 10 fish entered must have been from 17.0 - 19.8 lbs so lots of boats had a chance.

Overall I thought it was a very well run event and a ton of fun. Great to see the volunteer weigh boats out there and they were all quite quick to react save one time when it seemed to take them far too long to measure and release one of our fish which didn't look to be in great shape when it eventually made it back into the water. The fish we got seemed to be hitting fairly consistently despite what the tide was doing as we didn't ever really have a super hot bite but rather a steady spring hit every hour or so. I liked the new format of $300/person vs the older $1,500/boat and I think most others did as well. I will definitely be entering again next year and based on my conversations with others at the derby they will be too.

thanks again to all of the organizers and sponsors of the event. Nice to get some good weather this year for a change and look forward to next year!

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what rules the whale watching boats have to follow? Watching a dozen 50 foot whale boats chasing the orcas up and down Sandheads all day long at 10 knots, seems a bit over the top...

I believe the provisions are voluntarily not mandatory at this time. The government is supposed to be introducing mandatory regulations because most of these what watching outfits are not following the guidelines. It really makes me sick how close they come to the whales and how they dog them all day in the gulf islands. I really think it is nothing but harassment how close they get. Just my opinion.

thanks for the reports guys and it's nice to see some springs around.

Now that the derby is over I suppose I can contribute a quick report since I was in it and on the water all weekend. Weather was so-so Saturday but fishable and beautiful all day yesterday (Sunday). There were close to 50 boats in the derby which made for some exciting starts to the day with everyone racing around to their lucky starting spots. Fishing was good throughout the weekend for our boat as we had 8 spring hits on day 1 and another 6 yesterday. A handful of dogfish around as well... usually picked those up when fishing deeper (80+ feet). We rocked 4 rods with chovies most of the derby and had most of our hits in the 80-100 ft range which was deeper than most other boats where hitting fish at (30-60) but we were getting fish so why change. We ended up with 6 fish in the mid to high teens but fell just short of the podium with a few of them which was disappointing. I think the top 10 fish entered must have been from 17.0 - 19.8 lbs so lots of boats had a chance.

Overall I thought it was a very well run event and a ton of fun. Great to see the volunteer weigh boats out there and they were all quite quick to react save one time when it seemed to take them far too long to measure and release one of our fish which didn't look to be in great shape when it eventually made it back into the water. The fish we got seemed to be hitting fairly consistently despite what the tide was doing as we didn't ever really have a super hot bite but rather a steady spring hit every hour or so. I liked the new format of $300/person vs the older $1,500/boat and I think most others did as well. I will definitely be entering again next year and based on my conversations with others at the derby they will be too.

thanks again to all of the organizers and sponsors of the event. Nice to get some good weather this year for a change and look forward to next year!
Dam our smallest fish of the 5 would of won it lol Not passing on next years derby ill pay for my guys if I have to lol we fished the North arm didn't really go anyfurther where abouts you fishing!!

Dam our smallest fish of the 5 would of won it lol Not passing on next years derby ill pay for my guys if I have to lol we fished the North arm didn't really go anyfurther where abouts you fishing!!

Too bad about not getting into the derby, well at least you've had some great fishing lately. Thanks for the reports.

Not to rub it in, but it sounds like your crew would have won 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th, no? Can an angler win more than one prize, or are they limited to entering one fish?

I think its one fish per boat i dont want to know though lol time to get the race car ready for the weekend so i wont be able to get out till Monday or so i took the next week off so i hope they keep rolling in !

I think its one fish per boat i dont want to know though lol time to get the race car ready for the weekend so i wont be able to get out till Monday or so i took the next week off so i hope they keep rolling in !
Are you Steve R. at the track?

Put in a full day at sandheads, bobbed around in the morning but calmed down around noon. Couple unders and some coho but nothing in the box until the bite turned on around 3:30pm. Fast and furious till the box was full, nothing big but had a great time.

Well we hit T 10 to Iona for tide change about three thirty yesterday, quite a number of boats out. Used bait, herring and chovies, did inner tack line, then moved out deeper, nothing going on, eventually working our way back to North arm. As said lots of boats out. Fished six hours, always had at least 2 baits down, other two with favourite hootchies and spoons that normally slay for me out there this time of year. Released one small spring. Never saw another fish fought, no nets out. Heard on radio about 5:30 t ten was on ........ Oh well that's fishing, but it's the biggest run in ten years, so they are still coming, I don't think so.

Good luck out there. HT

Our boat was lucky enough to win the derby with a 19.8lb spring hooked at 9am Saturday. Fishing was really steady on Saturday , spoons were out producing the anchovies for us. Cop car and homeland. The killer whales definitely helped our boat out on Sunday, as there where only a handful of boats calling in for the weigh boat. Our boat was in complete silence for the last hour of the derby haha hoping our fish would hold up. It was an awesome event, well organized , great food and lots of awesome fishermen. Looking forward to next year!!

Our boat was lucky enough to win the derby with a 19.8lb spring hooked at 9am Saturday. Fishing was really steady on Saturday , spoons were out producing the anchovies for us. Cop car and homeland. The killer whales definitely helped our boat out on Sunday, as there where only a handful of boats calling in for the weigh boat. Our boat was in complete silence for the last hour of the derby haha hoping our fish would hold up. It was an awesome event, well organized , great food and lots of awesome fishermen. Looking forward to next year!!

Congrats Dan!! I was on the Milltown boat fishing around you on Saturday I think...you were Rox-Ley that won right?

We had one on Saturday morning in the "sporty" water down at Sandheads that would have been in contention but lost it right at the boat. Tide/wind/tugboat/outflow chop made it pretty tossy-turvy water down there...hence why we bugged out and went to T-10.

Enjoyed the event and will definitely do it again next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back