OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You pay for yours?

I've found windyty to be always a lot calmer than conditions are. Nice visual though.

Predictwind seems the most accurate to me, it def shows up the gov site.

Fishweather for current conditions is my go to

X2 for Fishweather, best app ever for local real time conditions.

Great Info FishinMagician .. thats a good share and what this website is all about.

Yup on the ol Tom Macks, Lures and dodgers, Various sizes of both on my boat. Love the dance to a small Mack !

I personally like to roll out a whole dead herring too This time of year, BIG bugger herring too, flasher and no flasher. I Strip it too, In or out of a teaser head ....... smashed some biggies over the years at the Fraser mouth, into October too however a lot of these are Reds right now, the later fish are usually more whites.

Lots of Seals around, sure wish it were old school on the Seals, Bang, Splash, grin, new boots coming up.

Good luck out there, Maybe Thursday : ))

Last edited:
Yup on the ol Tom Macks, Lures and dodgers, Various sizes of both on my boat. Love the dance to a small Mack !

I personally like to roll out a whole dead herring too This time of year, BIG bugger herring too, flasher and no flasher. I Strip it too, In or out of a teaser head ....... smashed some biggies over the years at the Fraser mouth

Ya, I still love the old traditional gear from back when I was a kid. It always reminds me of fishing with my dad, who taught me how to bend up a dodger to get just the right fish catching action out of them. It's a bit of a lost art nowadays with plastic replacing most attractors. Most new spoons and metal dodger/Flashers with a few exceptions have complete junk for plating. The antique gear is so much better quality and like GOLD, you just have to pray you don't lose it.

I also like to fish herring strip, and did ok fishing it last season. It's just a pain having to cut your own strip. I fish bait very little these days, but I will probably go pick up some jumbo herring to cut my own shortly. I've just been hoping the dogfish thin out a bit before I start fishing strip again this season.

Maybe next trip I'll drag some strip off the Fraser mouth. Hopefully there's enough big springs out there this week to make it worth the nuisance of dealing with the dogfish. Usually I'd put a little bit of Mike's herring scent attractant on my spoons, but you can't even do that with all the muds harks around.

Just before I caught that Coho last night I remembered I'd bought a new bottle of Anise oil and covered my spoons in it. I belive the Salmon like the scent, and it doesn't attract the dogfish. Maybe it's just in my head that the Anise scent helped, but hey it can't hurt. And with the way the fishing been this season you need all the help you can get.

Great Info Peahead .... thats a good share and what this website is all about.

I personally like to roll out a whole dead herring too This time of year, BIG bugger herring too, flasher and no flasher. I Strip it too, In or out of a teaser head ....... smashed some biggies over the years at the Fraser mouth, into October too however a lot of these are Reds right now, the later fish are usually more whites.

Lots of Seals around, sure wish it were old school on the Seals, Bang, Splash, grin, new boots coming up.

Good luck out there, Maybe Thursday : ))

There is a well known local guide who still fishes half and half Tom Macks...half brass, half chrome. they are his personal lures. He calls me everytime he gets a good one on them.

My dad showed me the ways of the Tom Macks...I have many of different sizes but 2 sizes seem to be better than most. I came across a few boxes of Coyote colour painted Tom Macks (the old Powder Coated ones) in sport packaging and I bought them all. I fished those and let me tell you the results were so damn good that I no longer fish them with ANYONE other than Dad on board...because they are just THAT good. I was flat out blown away. I was impressed with the half and half brass and chrome ones...

One thing I will say that Luhr Jensen did better than most...is design a lure that worked.....yes...it was developed, tested, tuned, revised and they WORK. One of the oldest tackle manufacturers gets a lot of publicity these days and many of their lures flat out DO NOT work...or there are colours which have no business being fished on this coast....yet there are full selections for sale in tackle shops on this coast.

X2 on the herring. The value of Anchovies converted me...but occasionally herring rocks it so much better than Anchovies.

'67 Canso bought in high school and still have it.
We should start a thread "our other hobbies"

Doing that right now in the General Discussion board...

Hopefully this works attaching a PDF.

Just tested it....but here is the full closure description which you can open or save as a reference.

These are just the shore line coordinates again on 29-9 and 29-10 ..... no offshore coordinates or am I missing something .
I have plotted out these coordinates and DOES NOT GIVE THE OFF SHORE BOUNDARIES

thanks for the try Pippen, had this before
Clint
Am I missing something , like what are the coordinates for the line that everyone is talking about (Point Grey to t10 to Sandhead light , was the last one given)

Came out the S arm today at 830 - MISTAKE , it was really roaring !
Started fishing in the deep water off the green marker - MISTAKE , it was really roaring !
Fished until around 12:30 and couldn't take the pounding (forgot the hockey equipment at home) so packed up and left
1 small 5 lb Chinook was all we got and released, but did see a lot of fish
Went back up the S Arm - MISTAKE , it was really roaring !

It was a real test for the boat and engine and all held together even a tug towing two barges took cover in the S. Arm, never seen that before

S-V II

Went out at 530 to 700 and started fishing close to my old blue dot on my finder that seems to be a very lucky spot for me kinda by the bell lol and we got one in the first 30 min had the old lady with me and the wind was pretty decent and lets just sall hell broke lose lol but we did manage to land it a nice 13 pound red got it on small anchovys at 77 !!

nice, well i did not see you then. it was a bit sloppy out there. i need to get some chovie's

I was only out for hour and half , mostly white boats lol and one older blue boat by the bell. I always have my radio on to bud if ya see me .

Some fish have definitely moved into the harbour. Was out last night and there was a great bite around bell/mile markers just after the evening tide. We got 1 and lost 1 and saw numerous other boats playing fish, including one that had a double header. Get out while you can!!

We had a double header but I thought the first fish was hung up on the line and after all the drama with the wind and the old lady trying to steer the boat lol I realized it was a fish to but with good all barbless hooks they come of easy with a bit of slack and he was gone!!Gonna try to head out tonight again if I can get out of work!!

We had a double header but I thought the first fish was hung up on the line and after all the drama with the wind and the old lady trying to steer the boat lol I realized it was a fish to but with good all barbless hooks they come of easy with a bit of slack and he was gone!!Gonna try to head out tonight again if I can get out of work!!

Don't think I'd bother trying to get off work to go fishing today. It's bowing 22 at Sandheads and 16 in the Harbour. Pretty nasty out there . Winds only going to drop down a little bit tonight around 6 according to the forecasts I've checked. That's not much of a window, and it's still going to blowing for a while yet. I think I'm going to do some work on the boat tonight and plan on going Friday when the wind is going to be a little better. Bad timing for a big blow. At least it's going to drop off by the weekend for the local derby.

Last edited:
Ahh Dam !! but I cant get out of work anyways hoping tomorrow it mellows out with the wind changing direction might have to enter the Derby so I have a exscuse to go fishing all weekend lol!! Thanks for the info Big Guy!

Nope....don't pay.

Ok, you obviously use Windyty because you find it to be accurate enough. So maybe im not using it right.

Everytime ive ever used this service, it -grossly- understates the conditions out there. At the moment its saying we should have 3 knots NW currently, coming down to 1 kt later tonight. If i head out now id get my butt kicked at the north arm mouth for sure.

Only reason I ask is ive heard a few people say they use it. So im wondering whats up?

Ok, you obviously use Windyty because you find it to be accurate enough. So maybe im not using it right.

Everytime ive ever used this service, it -grossly- understates the conditions out there. At the moment its saying we should have 3 knots NW currently, coming down to 1 kt later tonight. If i head out now id get my butt kicked at the north arm mouth for sure.

Only reason I ask is ive heard a few people say they use it. So im wondering whats up?

To be honest....for real time observations I use Env Can's stations. As far as forecasting.....I have found it MUCH more accurate than Env Can.

Windyty was bang on for us in Tofino last month when Env Can had us figuring that we'd be fishing inshore for 3 days.

I did look at it this morning and was scratching my head as to the "real time" weather. :confused:

You can click on the "Display on Map" on the right side of the screen and click on "Weather Stations". Then you'll see what looks like little mouse cursor's on the screen....I just clicked on the Sandheads one and the real time looks to what would be expected out there right now. Problem is they don't seem to have all the Env Can stations....you can see Sandheads and also Entrance Island but there is no Van Harbour or Halibut Bank as a reference.

This is a release from Windyty in the last day.....to be quite honest as I am NO weather expert I don't know what it all means....haha.

https://forum.windyty.com/uploads/files/1471261530892-windyty-implements-ecmwf.pdf

***EDIT*** I just posed a question about weather stations for "real time" info on WindyTy's Facebook page. Will update if I get a reply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back