OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got up this morning checked the weather and went back to bed thinking the river mouth could be nasty. Fished 4-8 instead. It was a beautiful night! Had two hits that did not stick. Then hit a spring at 7pm, evrything went really well until I tried to net him early solo, choked up on the handle a bit much and ran out of reach just a bit before I had him all the way in. He was not a happy fish and bolted under the boat and broke off. That's fishing. Hooked him at 44' on chovie at the bell. It's either picking up a bit or I had horseshoes on board this weekend.

Thanks for the report, maybe I'll giver a go tomorrow.

None stop rollers early morning yesterday ... stuck in closer to the harbour in 150' of water by Jericho beach and fish beside a ship used as a shield.
haha.. was great water was like glass behind the ship , 10 min in dropping the lines landed a 15lb red ,i started laughing i wanted to be at the bell but couldn't because
of the sloppy water could have done it but sucks doing the bobble head . water mellowed a bit worked my way almost to the bell ...no other hits .

fish took the spoon yesterday .. Dogs were very hungry i put the bait away .

edit :took it at rigger 47'

Last edited:
Fished out at the sandheads sunday 3 undersize seen a couple nice ones get hooked but got off.About 14 boats or so in the area.
Was at sandheads at 1000 am
Weather was a bit lumpy but turned out ok
Trolled with anchovies, herring, spoons and hootchies one big bite around 4 pm only saw 2 undersized caught from a few charter guys
Seemed to be lots of action on the sounder between 35-60 ft but no takers.

So took off for couple days and sitting here at work with a coffee. If 29-6 and 7,9,10 closed how does one fish sandheads or the mouth. Seems some people were there last couple days. Just sitting here scratching my head.

So took off for couple days and sitting here at work with a coffee. If 29-6 and 7,9,10 closed how does one fish sandheads or the mouth. Seems some people were there last couple days. Just sitting here scratching my head.
Have a look at Berrys Bait & Tackle saltwater report, they have a map with 29-9 and 29-10 closures marked. Easy to see how you can fish by looking at the map.
I was out at Sandheads from 3 pm to 6:30, three undersize to the boat.

So its not the whole 29-9 just a slice?

K... Got it thanks. Fishing through the traps is open. That's where I did well last week.

Last edited:
Was at sandheads at 1000 am
Weather was a bit lumpy but turned out ok
Trolled with anchovies, herring, spoons and hootchies one big bite around 4 pm only saw 2 undersized caught from a few charter guys
Seemed to be lots of action on the sounder between 35-60 ft but no takers.
We got 3 undersize one of the guide boats had a screamer on but they lost it!

Was out yesterday from 8:30 to 2 at the bell. Caught one just under 77' around 10 and had a solid hit that didnt stick same depth 20 mins later. Both in tight, south of the marker in about 80'. Marked a lot of bait and fish pretty far east along the shoreline. Then it was dogfish city. End of day.

Plotted the boundary line for 29-10, all it represents from the coordinates is the shoreline from the north jetty to Gary Pt to the light at Steveston... Where are the seaward coordinates ( maybe included in 29-3, 29-9 and 29-12.... WTF.
I also plotted out 29-9 and it's just the shoreline, no seaward coordinates.
I think it's half butt info with no importance!

Last edited:
Plotted the boundary line for 29-10, all it represents from the coordinates is the shoreline from the north jetty to Gary Pt to the light at Steveston... Where are the seaward coordinates ( maybe included in 29-3, 29-9 and 29-12.... WTF.
SNAFU!! I give up, I'm going fishing

Yes it is not a huge hardship the banana closure with the boundaries they have set. Most of the better water is open to fishing. The only section that I fish regularly that is closed is the shallow water inside the north arm jetty to Point Grey. Most of the best water is still open, so all the guys pissing and moaning about the closure need to take a good look at the map. This does not significantly impact fishing off the Fraser mouth.

I think I'm going to give the Bell Bouy a shot tonight. The wind report looks good, and there is a very small tide exchange in the evening. Looks to be good conditions for fishing this evening, hopefully that translates to some fish.

Yes it is not a huge hardship the banana closure with the boundaries they have set. Most of the better water is open to fishing. The only section that I fish regularly that is closed is the shallow water inside the north arm jetty to Point Grey. Most of the best water is still open, so all the guys pissing and moaning about the closure need to take a good look at the map.

Agree

On my way back from Sooke yesterday, I saw salmon jumping at sandheads, just outside the banana. It was getting dark so I didn't stop to fish but I did stop and have a look with the Sounder for a minute. Saw lots of marks, nice to see finally

Caught an unreal Coho off the north arm 7:30 pm tonight. Good 14-16 pounder. It was a mental jumper. Haven't had a fun jumper like that in ages. North arm just off bottom bouncing for springs in 65 - 70 ft of water. Caught it on a 3 in Tom Mac 50/50 spoon 5 feet behind a Abe N Al flasher bent to be a dodger. 2.2 mph or so trolling towards the north arm marker.

Caught an unreal Coho off the north arm 7:30 pm tonight. Good 14-16 pounder. It was a mental jumper. Haven't had a fun jumper like that in ages. North arm just off bottom bouncing for springs in 65 - 70 ft of water. Caught it on a 3 in Tom Mac 50/50 spoon 5 feet behind a Abe N Al flasher bent to be a dodger. 2.2 mph or so trolling towards the north arm marker.

Nice one mate.

Been trolling the north arm since 4:30, nothin.

No bait, just spoons. The dogs ate all my bait last wednesday

Out for a quick troll this morning while waiting for the tide to rise to get my boat on the trailer at vanier. Trolled the mile markers to the bell. Picked up my biggest fish of the year off the middle marker. 26 lbs bright red beauty at 56 feet with the big ugly. Real soft bite, I grabbed it felt a little something thinking most likely a keeper called my wife and handed off as it was her rod. A minute later the thing took off like a train and didn't stop. My wife had to give the rod back. What an arm burner. Took quite a few net attempts but we got. Awesome fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back