OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Nice looking fish Reeltime, that is an efficient outing!
I got out again last night in and around T-10, released 3 pinks, lost one spring and landed another at 14lbs. Was out from 4 till sunset, all action came off the top rods in between 30-40 on chovies.

Last edited by a moderator:
heading over to the city tomorrow hope its stays at light winds
and the fish are still about .

Nothing at sandheads today. Didn't see much. Maybe I missed a few caught?
Sat down to eat my lunch and my buddy drove both rigger lines over a buoy for a trap or something. He's not allowed to drive anymore and he forfiets his right to the rod for a few fish I'd say. Managed to get us off that with some maneuvering and my gaff.
But like I say. Didn't see much happening.

Out at the bell again today not the same back to back hits like the day before but 3 springs on and 1 in the box all on hootchie ... long day fun day out there pretty sweet weather :cool:... Seen a bunch of boats at the North arm wondering how was ? ... they were a tight moving group hmmmm :confused:

Lights up like a neon light ...Thnx

Interesting color hooch
nice job buds

fd

Launch at Vanier yesterday morning and another 4x4 truck was stuck on the east side ramp at low tide and his butt end was filled with water ..
the bottom of the ramp is like quick sand on the east side . Caution !

They were sweet looking fish el.Pereh

fished the freighters and off the Cap marker from 1630 -2030 last night lots of fish on the sounders top to bottom but none that wanted to play. spoon, herring and chovie but nada. Only a few boats out, guess everybody knows but me?:confused: a few boat right at the mouth of the Cap after jumper but don't know if anybody caught anything. Marked lots of fish between the marker and Stanley park

:... Seen a bunch of boats at the North arm wondering how was ? ... they were a tight moving group hmmmm :confused:

I was trolling around north arm, pretty sure I tacked past you a few times off the jetty. There was a quick bite @ sundown.

I managed 2. whole herring no flasher. saw a couple other nets out. just a beauty evening.

What's goin on everyone. Havnt been out in about a month ( since point Atkinson was the hot spot) I'm finally getting back out tommorow and bringin the old man along. Any tips on what's been hot latleys appreciated. I'm thinking of trolling T10 to sand heads and back with chovies. Hoping to get into some nookies

This is going to be a busy weekend for fishing and festivities in Vancouver. Hopefully the weather cooperates as there are 2 fishing derbies and 1 festival planned:

1) Aug 29-30: Vancouver Chinook Classic (C&R) in support of PSF - http://vancouverchinookclassic.com/
2) Aug 30 (morning): First Catch Derby - The 1st annual event to take Big Brothers & Little Brothers out fishing with fishermen/guides volunteering their boats/time
3) Aug 30 (noon-4pm): PSF Pink Salmon Festival - Free Salmon BBQ at Kits Point - https://www.psf.ca/event/pink-salmon-festival

Hope to see a lot of you on the water or at the festival this weekend.

I would say that is very good strategy CRKiller. The chinooks has been coming in and caught in waves but if you find a good bite stay on them and you will be rewarded. Bait has been the best option lately and it also helps to keep off the pinks and especially the sockeye that need our help right now. Look forward to your report. good luck

What's goin on everyone. Havnt been out in about a month ( since point Atkinson was the hot spot) I'm finally getting back out tommorow and bringin the old man along. Any tips on what's been hot latleys appreciated. I'm thinking of trolling T10 to sand heads and back with chovies. Hoping to get into some nookies

I would say that is very good strategy CRKiller. The chinooks has been coming in and caught in waves but if you find a good bite stay on them and you will be rewarded. Bait has been the best option lately and it also helps to keep off the pinks and especially the sockeye that need our help right now. Look forward to your report. good luck

ThNks for the reply. Jus curious if you guys have been running a flasher off the anchovy or not? I usually use a flasher and about a 5 foot leader to the chovy but never have had much success off bait. The good old pink hoochie has gotten me a few nookies this year so I always run 1 rod with that.

It's different almost everyday... Last Saturday @ 7:30 and 9:30 between north arm and T10 we went 3 for 6. We had Chovies and hoochies out between 65' and 75', all fish were caught with anchovy behind a Bon Chovy Flasher. Later that day between 1-2:30 we went 0 for 2 on the Hootchie rod and cought a pink on the anchovy no flasher. Who knows anymore! lol...

It's different almost everyday... Last Saturday @ 7:30 and 9:30 between north arm and T10 we went 3 for 6. We had Chovies and hoochies out between 65' and 75', all fish were caught with anchovy behind a Bon Chovy Flasher. Later that day between 1-2:30 we went 0 for 2 on the Hootchie rod and cought a pink on the anchovy no flasher. Who knows anymore! lol...

Yup, that's why I fish three lines. Something differnet on each until a pattern emerges...

Funny you mention three lines... That makes for some hectic fights during a double header with only 2 guys on the boat. We had 3 lines out and lost one, almost 2 fish as they wrapped around the third line... Of course it didn't help that our net was to small (Left he big one in the truck and brought the smaller sockeye net)... If I learned anything last Saturday, it's the importance of having the right sized net to get the fish in quickly.

Just dropped in at the bell about 15 mins ago. One 15lber in the box so far , bloodnose on a moon jelly flasher 57'.

image.jpgJust following up on my brief report earlier. Just after I posted that we had a pin popper that ended up long line releasing , then nothing but the odd pink up until about 630. We moved west of the bell bouy and the water came alive . Jack herring boiling everywhere. Still took until 7 o'clock for our next Chinook hookup, and from 7 - 8 we ended up with 5 to the boat , and putting 3 more 15 - 18 lb fish in the box. All fish in the last flurry came on a green lable herring stuffed in a glow chovy teaser , run straight up above a purple haze dummy at 65', flasher chovy on the other side similar depth didn't get a sniff after the first fish. Gorgeous night out there to boot.

As most have already gathered it was an epic afternoon out there. Not sure how early in started but me and the Mrs. arrived around 2pm at Sandheads and it was one fish after another. In all the years of fishing had never experienced so much consistent spring action without pinks. Just unreal. And seemed everyone was into to them. We were running brined anchovy with scent but I'm guessing just about anything would have worked today. Seemed the UV teaser head was most consistent. 35 to 45 depth and the sounder was full of fish. We lost a half dozen springs before getting our limit then stopped using chovy looking for some pinks or coho on spoons or pink squirts but nada. Seemed the crazy action subsided by 4pm but still saw regular hookups with one big spring taken beside us right at 6:30 before leaving. Had contemplated heading to Bamfield this week and thank god we didn't waste the $500 return ferry cost.
Also wondering about people's feedback with using either single of treble hooks for your trailing teaser hook....more success with either one?
Out again tomorrow afternoon!

I've always used a treble with a single singer however the other afternoon I used a double single hookup for the anchovies and was very pleased with the results, didn't loose any on that setup and lost one on the standard setup. also nice for not snagging the net and unhooking your catch to get reset also makes releasing so much easier, I think i'm gonna be a convert to the 2 singles for now and see what happens.

I use approximately a 6 foot leader for my chovies if i'm using a flasher 5 feet should be ok just make sure you don't go longer than your rod length.

Flasher in front of chovy yes.:)

I simply use the length of leader which is the span between my two hands when arms are outstretched to opposite sides approx. 60inches. Good old Gibs green flasher has always produced even though I mix in other colors but it's my fav.
IMO 75% of it is being at the right place at the right time!

Back