Ocean conditions improved in 2021

searun

Some may find this both interesting and possibly heartening to see ocean conditions were ranked 2nd best in last 24 years - this could bode well for a number of salmon which are currently struggling under what was the warm blob.

Summary of Ocean Indicators for 2021​

2021 was a very productive year off Newport, Oregon, characterized by an early spring transition, strong upwelling, cold salty, low oxygen water, and high chlorophyll concentrations on the shelf. These conditions resulted in higher than average biomass of cold water northern copepods and lower than average biomass of warm water southern copepods.

Our ocean ecosystem indicators ranked second best in the 24-year time series (2008 ranked first). The indicators on the stoplight chart of ocean conditions are mostly green, signaling productive ocean conditions for juvenile salmon and other marine species. The early onset of upwelling led to cool and productive ocean conditions during the winter and early spring. This winter 'pre-conditioning' was likely the driver of the highest annual biomass of northern copepods observed in the 24-year time series.

Some may find this both interesting and possibly heartening to see ocean conditions were ranked 2nd best in last 24 years - this could bode well for a number of salmon which are currently struggling under what was the warm blob.

Summary of Ocean Indicators for 2021​

2021 was a very productive year off Newport, Oregon, characterized by an early spring transition, strong upwelling, cold salty, low oxygen water, and high chlorophyll concentrations on the shelf. These conditions resulted in higher than average biomass of cold water northern copepods and lower than average biomass of warm water southern copepods.

Our ocean ecosystem indicators ranked second best in the 24-year time series (2008 ranked first). The indicators on the stoplight chart of ocean conditions are mostly green, signaling productive ocean conditions for juvenile salmon and other marine species. The early onset of upwelling led to cool and productive ocean conditions during the winter and early spring. This winter 'pre-conditioning' was likely the driver of the highest annual biomass of northern copepods observed in the 24-year time series.
This is great news and very interesting. The data pretty much coincides with my memory’s of 98/99/00“trolling around in a watery desert”. I was wonder what my next job was going to be but things got much better in the early/mid 2000

This is great news and very interesting. The data pretty much coincides with my memory’s of 98/99/00“trolling around in a watery desert”. I was wonder what my next job was going to be but things got much better in the early/mid 2000
Certainly appears to be very good news for many stocks that depend on access to good groceries out on the high seas. Stream-type Chinook, steelhead chum and sockeye in particular suffered poor ocean survival thought to be related to the warm blob. I'm not so optimistic for Stream-type Chinoook and Steelhead whom depend on cold water fresh water conditions for 1 to 2 years (or more) - they will continue to suffer from the impact of climate change and I'm not too sure what we can really do to mitigate that. Hatcheries maybe, but many of the enviros think hatcheries are evil.

Certainly appears to be very good news for many stocks that depend on access to good groceries out on the high seas. Stream-type Chinook, steelhead chum and sockeye in particular suffered poor ocean survival thought to be related to the warm blob. I'm not so optimistic for Stream-type Chinoook and Steelhead whom depend on cold water fresh water conditions for 1 to 2 years (or more) - they will continue to suffer from the impact of climate change and I'm not too sure what we can really do to mitigate that. Hatcheries maybe, but many of the enviros think hatcheries are evil.
Yes good reminder regarding salmon and steelhead over summering, particularly this past summer and now flood events this fall. IMO hatcheries pay dividends when these weather events impact water sheds so severely.

Back