Oar Rests

Time

When I went from a pontoon boat to an aluminium last year one of the things I found was that there was no place to have the oars out of the way (and out of the water) except by laying them over the gunwale by the stern. But that didn't work with rod holders on the gunwale, so I started looking for an oar rest that would hold the oar.

Never found one, so had to build my own. After a number of attempts (clamp on's, screw on's etc.) I think I've come up with a pretty good solution.

There are two pieces for each side.

First is a Mounting Clip which is permanently mounted on the gunwale with screws (or, if you prefer, bolts, depending on what the boat is constructed of). The clip is about 1 1/4" long, 1/2" high, and 1/2" wide. It mounts below the top edge of the gunwale, so it won't interfere if loading on a roofrack, and, with a 1/2" protrusion near the stern, won't interfere if sliding into the bed of a pickup.

The second piece is the Oar Rest, which slides into the mounting clip. The small downward facing 'U' fits into two holes on the clip, which holds it in position at 90 degrees to the gunwale. The oar rests within this, and it is wide enough to hold the oar shaft or the blade.

The Oar Rest easily slides in and out of the Clip, but, while possible, it is extremely difficult to unseat the Oar Rest from the Clip by hitting it from below with the oar, and it is virtually impossible to accidently knock it out completely.

All of it, oar rests, clips, and screws are made from stainless steel.

I have some material left, and the bending jigs I had to build to get the shape I wanted, so I thought I would offer them to see if anyone was interested.

Not sure what they would be worth. Any suggestions? I was thinking $15 - 20.00 for a set, postage included.

Thanks

Doug

Some pictures.
AUT_5903.jpg
[/img]

AUT_5901.jpg
[/img]

AUT_5906.jpg
[/img]

AUT_5902.jpg
[/img]

AUT_5834.jpg
[/img]

Thanks Dogbreath
It was a pain and a lot of trials to get right, but they turned out good.
If anyone is interested, I checked on postal rates and am offering these for 15.00 a set, postage included.

Thanks

Back