O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Was out yesterday noon to 5pm. We got our limit of 12 but took a while to find them. Had the most luck along the tide lines off of Sandheads in about 350 of water. 65 feet on the downrigger.
We used 2 dummy flashers on each rigger and then 2 stacked rods per side. small pink hootchies. did not seem to matter which one. Great calm, hot day on the water. looks like that might be the end of the spectacular weather though.

Out again tomorrow.

Supposed to be heading out in Friday morn but looks like it could be snotty out there. Calling for 15-20 NW early mornin.

Just back from the North Arm. Landed one, lost another due to me fumbling the net (fishing solo). Was pretty stoked to catch the fish with an old Gibbs chrome plated dodger that belonged to my Grandpa...the dodger is older than me!

Pineapple Express.....

Channel 16 is for distress and calling only. The Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) provides continuous service (monitoring, response, weather alerts) on VHF channel 16 (156.8 MHz), and on 2182 kHz.

Channel 16 is a channel that can save your life, its not for friendly hello's.

while along the (BCC) "British Columbia Coast" area, channel 69 is an authorized frequency for pleasure craft.

Use Channel 69, not 16. Cheers.

I will be out tomorrow, if the radio is on, you can get me on Ch 69.

PS very cool using the antique dodger. Have dodgers, but never use them. Maybe I will give one a swim tomorrow.

Pineapple Express.....

Channel 16 is for distress and calling only. The Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) provides continuous service (monitoring, response, weather alerts) on VHF channel 16 (156.8 MHz), and on 2182 kHz.

Channel 16 is a channel that can save your life, its not for friendly hello's.

while along the (BCC) "British Columbia Coast" area, channel 69 is an authorized frequency for pleasure craft.

Use Channel 69, not 16. Cheers.

I will be out tomorrow, if the radio is on, you can get me on Ch 69.

PS very cool using the antique dodger. Have dodgers, but never use them. Maybe I will give one a swim tomorrow.

Yup, understood, I've been around boats all my life and know the purpose of channel 16 but this is good info to have posted up. I'll change my signature. Thank you also for letting me know about channel 69. I remember when I was young the fishing chatter was often on channel 9. I've been told that locally fishing chatter is also on channel 88A, but I haven't figured out how to tune my radio to that channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out this morning bright and early at the North arm , Started around 7 hit a double header right off the bat ,then it went a bit quite just a fish here and there then at 1030 -11am it went off for us . got our limits same again 75'-80' on the rigger chartreuse double glow all around and onion , lost some here and there another fun day . also hit a spring again on the sockeye gear .The last three times iv'e been out a spring has taken the hootch ! .I think i'll bring Anchovies when it's slow :D Cheers !
IMG-20140828-00436-1.jpg
IMG-20140828-00430.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been told that locally fishing chatter is also on channel 83A, but I haven't figured out how to tune my radio to that channel.

It's actually 88A. You have to change your settings on your radio to the USA mode as opposed to Canada to get 88A. You'll still get the normal stations like 16 etc but you can now hear the fishing banter. My handheld is always in US mode but now on the boat we switch to US mode while fishing and back to Canada when we're done.

It's actually 88A. You have to change your settings on your radio to the USA mode as opposed to Canada to get 88A. You'll still get the normal stations like 16 etc but you can now hear the fishing banter. My handheld is always in US mode but now on the boat we switch to US mode while fishing and back to Canada when we're done.

OK! Thank you

Out this morning bright a early at the North arm , Started around 7 hit a double header right off the bat ,then it went a bit quite just a fish here and there then at 1030 -11am it went off for us . got our limits , lost some here and there another fun day . also hit a spring again on the sockeye gear .The last three times iv'e been out a spring has taken the hootch ! .I think i'll bring Anchovies when it's slow :D Cheers !
View attachment 13766

Great to see REELTIME ! Good on you, your hard work and attention to detail R paying off. Have Fun out there !

Nice Bonus Springer too ! They are always a nice surprise.

Good luck to you !

HT

BigWaveDave is showing 5 to 10 winds so looks like a great day. Just enough wind to keep it a little cooler on the water.

Can anyone give a disgruntled sooke fisherman a general idea of depths (rigger and water) to fish for sockeye off the Fraser? Thinking about making the long run across on Monday. Is north arm or south arm better or anywhere in between

Can anyone give a disgruntled sooke fisherman a general idea of depths (rigger and water) to fish for sockeye off the Fraser? Thinking about making the long run across on Monday. Is north arm or south arm better or anywhere in between

Anywhere from South Arm (Sandheads) to the North Arm ( off Point Grey in Vancouver). Depths on the rigger are generally anywhere from 50-80ish but that is not a set rule. ;) Many will catch them 25-100 but that 60-70 depth has been the ticket for most if you read back thru this report thread.

We've had more success in water deeper than 150' as you'll also see if you read back a few pages most have been fishing anywhere from 125' to 300+'. Find a school on your sonar.....wait for the hit(s).....clear lines, reset and troll back where you just hooked up.

Morning bites have been much, much better as a general rule. Lots of info on sox in Vancouver as almost all of the recent reports in this thread are about them.

Anywhere from South Arm (Sandheads) to the North Arm ( off Point Grey in Vancouver). Depths on the rigger are generally anywhere from 50-80ish but that is not a set rule. ;) Many will catch them 25-100 but that 60-70 depth has been the ticket for most if you read back thru this report thread.

We've had more success in water deeper than 150' as you'll also see if you read back a few pages most have been fishing anywhere from 125' to 300+'. Find a school on your sonar.....wait for the hit(s).....clear lines, reset and troll back where you just hooked up.

Morning bites have been much, much better as a general rule. Lots of info on sox in Vancouver as almost all of the recent reports in this thread are about them.

Thanks, Pippen.

- A disgruntled former Sooke turned Vancouver fisherman...

Got my engineer/jock son into about 12 today. 7 made it in the box. He took the mother of twisted tangles at 11:30 as a sign that we didn't need 8. Smart kid. Good times before he heads to Europe for 2 years of a Masters degree. I'll be out tomorrow before heading home to the Okanagan. We saw the schools at 60-80 but most of ours came from 85-105.

Ran across again today. Lines in at 7:30. Much slower for us until around 10:00 when we found a nice school and managed to stay on it. Wind was a bit of a pain. Triple header and steady action until we were done at 10:30. 100 ft on the rigger was the ticket for us today. Crossing was decent both ways. Another good day.
image.jpg

Back