O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Went out Saturdaymorning. Fished same spot as day before with same gear
And not a sniff

We fished from the north arm to the t 10 Saturday and back to the bell. Nothing but dogs at the t 10 but lost something big at the mouth and boxed a 12 lb red at the bell. Seen a guy at the Mcdonald ramp that killed a couple sockey at sand heads . I let him know that they were not open until Sunday but he didn't seem to mind

Depends on where he was. West of the lighthouse was/is open as it is 29-3 and 29-4 out there.
Good to hear you got one, I've been wanting to head out. Did you get that new prop on yet?

Fished the sandheads today from11-5. Limited out on sockeye. Fishing 50-65 ft.

Are you trolling?! Catch my drift? Welcome to the board...first post.... And is your boat name L______ O______????

Hey guys!
Just discovered this forum and it's awesome to have fellow fishing enthusiasts share their stories here.
I launched my boat at the Captain Cove's marina at Ladner at around 7 am today. Never been to this area before (last year fished Squamish for pinks and at the Capilano river mouth). Little did I know that this trip would turn out to be quite an adventure. Before leaving I did check the weather forecast and saw the warning for strong winds around the Sandheads area. Leaving the marina was alright although 1/4 of the way was driving really shallow though 10' of water which got me a bit worried for underwater logs. A lot of commercial boats with their nets in the water had me manoeuvring from one side to the other. Then the big ships started coming inside Fraser. Finally, as I got closer to the boundary between the river and ocean out of nowhere some huge waves appeared bouncing my 17' fiberglass like a doll. I did read about these things before but never did I see those 5-7' waves coming at ya with no mercy. I did not get all the way to the Sandheads and ended up trolling at the mouth for a couple of hours. I did notice a lot of fish jumping from the water which is a good sign.
My questing to you guys is should I take another chance at the Sandheads or just hit the inside Fraser? Maybe I should just pick a different time ( afternoon ) or location for the trip to avoid the low tide. Appreciate the suggestions and hope everyone enjoys fishing!

Welcome BCFishGuy. Sandheads will pick up soon enough. If I were going out tomorrow I'd launch at McDonald Beach and fish off the North Arm. Better chance for springs and fair chance at Sox for now. I'll be out there Tuesday to give it a shot.

Cheers

Hey guys!
Just discovered this forum and it's awesome to have fellow fishing enthusiasts share their stories here.
I launched my boat at the Captain Cove's marina at Ladner at around 7 am today. Never been to this area before (last year fished Squamish for pinks and at the Capilano river mouth). Little did I know that this trip would turn out to be quite an adventure. Before leaving I did check the weather forecast and saw the warning for strong winds around the Sandheads area. Leaving the marina was alright although 1/4 of the way was driving really shallow though 10' of water which got me a bit worried for underwater logs. A lot of commercial boats with their nets in the water had me manoeuvring from one side to the other. Then the big ships started coming inside Fraser. Finally, as I got closer to the boundary between the river and ocean out of nowhere some huge waves appeared bouncing my 17' fiberglass like a doll. I did read about these things before but never did I see those 5-7' waves coming at ya with no mercy. I did not get all the way to the Sandheads and ended up trolling at the mouth for a couple of hours. I did notice a lot of fish jumping from the water which is a good sign.
My questing to you guys is should I take another chance at the Sandheads or just hit the inside Fraser? Maybe I should just pick a different time ( afternoon ) or location for the trip to avoid the low tide. Appreciate the suggestions and hope everyone enjoys fishing!
watch tides and winds biggest thing is if your not comfortable then don't do it. it can get nasty at both arms. if your new to boating maybe take a course or go out with someone experienced . just my 2cents

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I think the biggest fear I have is to catch a huge wave and knowing that I only have a 17' Bayliner Capri that will get bounced around pretty good. To comfortably fish BC waters I believe it's better to have at least a 20' rig. I really want to catch at least one coho or sock this year. The only fish I've ever caught were pinks and small halibuts at the Howe Sound. I guess I'm gonna give it another try better planning my trip next time.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I think the biggest fear I have is to catch a huge wave and knowing that I only have a 17' Bayliner Capri that will get bounced around pretty good. To comfortably fish BC waters I believe it's better to have at least a 20' rig. I really want to catch at least one coho or sock this year. The only fish I've ever caught were pinks and small halibuts at the Howe Sound. I guess I'm gonna give it another try better planning my trip next time.
u really have to know how to drive and maneuver in not so nice conditions that really makes the difference. there were lots of cartoppers out there today

Fished west van yest. Not a sniff, apparently missed the bite. Fished same again today and managed 4 nice fat coho. Lost a screamer spring. Back at it tomorrow. Put in about 3.5 hrs so not a bad morn for van standards.

Hey guys!

It can get a little hairy at the mouth, that's for sure - particularly at the south arm I think.

I fish regularly in my 17' aluminum and I watch the wind reports closely - if the wind is going to be up its less fun even in a bigger boat and can be outright dangerous in a smaller one. I have also turned back a couple of times when conditions were just too rough and waited for the wind or tide to turn a bit - it sucks, but that is the price of fishing the chuck in a small boat.

The mouth still gets ugly at the north arm, but I've had better luck getting through there. Slack tide is usually pretty calm, but of course I like to be out before the tide changes. Once out, I can decide if I want to just stick around the bell, or run to the sandheads or west van, depending on water conditions. I think 17' boats are plenty big enough to fish the area if you use caution, common sense and pick your spots.

Hey guys!

You will be fine with the upcoming fishery. Not sure if you have riggers or not, but if you head out on low wind, low variance in tide days it will all seem pretty easy. Depending on where you end up fishing the usual salmon gear should work. See sockeye posts for specific info. Be prepared, and report back...

Hey guys!

I fish the sandheads in my little zodiac. Smaller then your boat and it works well aslong as the wind is at 10km/hr or less. Anything more is tough

Anyone head out to the mouth this morning? Some weather reports are saying strong winds but that it should die down. Any update would be nice

Back