Now what do you do?

weasonedog

O'k, so you fished the tide, boated one fish and now they have lock jaw, what would be the first thing "YOU" would change to entice a bite, colour, speed, leader length, depth, also would you change your presentation more frequently. Snowing good in Ladysmith

Tony

A few alternatives, from many slow derby hours:

Cycle through every flasher/lure combination in your tackle box.
Or stick to your best tried and true combo -- because it worked before, it'll work again.

Run through depths on multiple rods, 10' up, 10' down, to see if you can find them.
Or keep them where you got last bite.

Troll to another spot, covering territory as you go, or pick up the gear and motor to a new spot.
Or stick and stay and make it pay.

Put on your favourite tune and turn it up LOUD, because choice rock n roll will please the fish gods.
Put on the worst song you can think of, as a sacrifice to the fish gods.

Get mad and shout about it!
Or crack a pop, chill, wait and see.

Seriously though, a few things I believe:

-- sometimes mysto combos work for some reason ... 2' longer leader or that white hootchie, mix it up and see. Better yet, ask around, 'cause if someone will tell you what worked yesterday, that'll save a lot of time.

-- make sure to always have gear in the water....don't pull the gear then waste 10 minutes setting up new gear

-- trolling through unexpected spots can sometimes bring results ... way I figure it, if there's two "hot spots" a few miles apart, the fish have to travel between them, find that highway and you might get lucky

-- being zen about it is always the best bet ... you get a nice fish and are a happy guy; or you don't and have a nice day on the water, beats working; it's all good!

I think the #1 overlooked tip is pay attention to what the current is doing. People catch more fish on the slack because fish from both up and down current can get to your lure. Think like a fish! if the current is cooking and you don't want to get flushed out of a feeding area , where would you be? what direction would you be facing?
I am a big fan "of stay and make it pay" and to me thats what fishing all about.

beemer

don't mess with the gear that’s working and then start experimenting on the other side of the boat. If you put the one fish in the boat at first light maybe run that same gear down a little deeper. On the other side of the boat start changing depths and gear I normally change something every 15mins until you find something that works or you get sick of changing gear. Being confident on what’s on the end of your line is important. If you have your best lure out there and you know it will catch fish for you screw around with the depths and speed and you will find something. I'm sure if you find the fish and put many different lures in front of his face he will hit them!!! Just find the fish. Snowing pretty hard and -26 with the windchill in penticton!!!!

I think fish have 3 moods, positive, neutral and negative. If they are negative it doesn't matter who you are or what you do...they aren't interested.

Crack a beer, turn up the stereo, and make your way to a back eddy or some structure that may push the fish up as they ride the current.

Take a leak, have food in your hands, talk on the cell, generally stop paying attention...always seems to be the time when something happens. I usually leave one rod the same (i.e. whatever worked before) and change up the other one - lure colour and leader length are the first two things I change - usually going shorter (leader) and darker (lure colour). No real reason, just what I do. After that, I usually throw out a hail mary and try something I haven't used in at least a year - helps justify all the tackle I own and seldom use.

Start doing crazy stuff. Speed up, slow down, turn hard one way and then the other. Bring your down rigger up then down. Put on a big plug and scream around. Something will eventualy trigger a strike.

Dave

we usually do this to start off our day on the right foot, but when it is slow - always always always crack a new cold one and "cheers" with the reel!

aside from that, stop paying attention and turn up the tunes and tie gear, etc... keep occupied until the rods get slammed on.

Remembered another one: when things are slow, you can stack lines on each side. This gives twice as much ability for experimentation. But most importantly, it is near certain chaos when you get a strike, with a pretty good chance of losing it -- this pleases the fish gods and should bring on the fish. (and the line tangles!) :)

First....before I even go out, I have my "A" game pre-rigged which I fish first. Then I have my "B" game and my "C" and "D" game.....all thought out beforehand in case one doesn't work. This is based on what they are likely to be eating at that time.

Next:----Where is the tide liable to push the baitfish when it starts running........important consideration around rocks ,islets and large underwater obstructions.

If A,B,C,D don't work.......then I pick "A" go-to lure and experiment with leader length and speed. Regardless of what most people think, leader lengths are not written in stone for hoochies or spoons and you'd be surprised what you nail when you go a lot longer or a lot shorter.

If you bagged a fish on an artificial and now they've got lockjaw ...I would, if I had it on board, immediately switch to real bait. (and hope there's no Dogfish around).

I agree that you can test more gear with lots of extra lines in the water. I like to run 2 lines when fishing for salmon and then you can really keep a close watch on your bait and you don't run the risk of a giant tangle disaster is you get a tyee on the bottom line. If you have 3 or 4 riggers on your boat it maybe easier to run extra lines. Take a look at some of the guys fishing on the great lake they will run 16 rods out of a 20-25 foot boat but there using downriggers,lead core, flat lines and planner boards.

Depends where I am fishing...

In Sooke - I look for Blue Wolf

In PR - I look for No Bananas

In Ucy - I look for a real nice Grady with Spirit Bear on the side

Then I feel much better about myself if they are struggling as well. However, it feels even worse when you see them reeling --- been there. Lol...

I think fish have 3 moods, positive, neutral and negative. If they are negative it doesn't matter who you are or what you do...they aren't interested.

LOL, you met my wife:D If she's not interested I go fishing. I get to go fishing A LOT.....just kidding honey...ouch, gota go.

Seriously, here's the top 10 list:

1. Use your network; find out where/what depth/speed etc - match what's working
2. Change location - the fish are where u find them
3. Fish something you have total confidence in on one side; change up and cycle gear on the other
4. Change up depths in 10 - 20 foot increments
5. Spend effort/time in areas where the fish will be concentrated - pinch points, migration route etc
6. Maintain positive Karma
7. Be patient - putting in extra effort can pay off big time
8. When all else fails, either green splatter back or glow white Hoochie
9. Go whale watching, and
10. If none of the above works, it ain't your day...beers on the dock will cover over a multitude of sins.

I agree wit turn the stereo up, crack a beer. Diligently work your bait. In my experience when the bite is off it is off. If one is going to bite when its off, statistically for me, I'll drum one up on bait. I dont get bored and run through my tackle box and I dont run around all over the map. I dont stray from what has given me my bread and butter........ Anchovies. Especially when your guiding. Lots off extra $ and work running trays off bait but tied tested and true for me anyhow. Life on the Highway in August is another story!

Thats funny Xavier thanks for that!!!!! I have on some of those days send one down way deep look on the sounder sometimes ill see stuff at 120 to 150 ft (bait and fish).I know what your all thinking but its the summer time there up high ... especialy later on inthe season and fog is a factor you really dont know if some killer whales passed by or what?? Ever wonder how on them boys on the banks send there gear down to 200 ft plus and still hammer them well they are the same fish passing by sooke as well. Ive even down the ol tact off of otter in 30ft of water and got them on those days. looks whats going on around you!!!!

At otter look for the guy in the tinny with the red beard who trolls backwards he fishes VERY shallow if you see him getting them well..........He is an awesome fisherman he has more big fish over 50 in sooke than anyone I know my ol friend Don(who passed) used to fish with him. give him respect and give him room he will grunt at you with hows he doing.

I personally dont roll my gear over too much after all the years I know what combos work and dont. ill change sometimes IF I hear one of my close buddies getting them on a certain combo but if you go into it not confident or your doubting yourself dont ask me how or why you dont get as many fish.

good luck Wolf

In Ucy - I look for a real nice Grady with Spirit Bear on the side

LOL! So THAT's why it tends to get a little crowded when it's slower! Thanks for the nod Xavier
3.gif

Much like Wolf, I'll usually dump one down to the mud, and often slow down. When they are "Off" sometimes a simple subtle change can do the trick. Even the trollers can go a few hours without any Joy, even though they're running right over the fish. Been there too many times to count.

I will almost never take off my proven Killer on one side, and it won't wander as deep as the other "experimental" side. I strongly agree with Wolf, it very much is the gear you have the most confidence in that will produce.
That said, I will switch for the lower depths, sometimes needlefish, and sometimes even the (for me) dreaded bait.
Experimentation does pay off, but you can rest assured I will always have one side packing my best known producer for the conditions at hand!

Often it is simply a matter of waiting them out. I know far too many that switch their gear out, and/or wander off where the fish are when the doldrums hit. Then of course, when the fish do turn back on, they are left wondering why the fish won't hit what they're offering (switched from what was working) or why the fellow a mile or two over (that stayed ON the fish) is catching when they ain't. Happens all the time, amongst both Sporties and Trollers.

The doldrums is the time to get to know those Fine Folks on your boat, and perhaps regal them with a few spirited tales from the Coast. Best to stay away from the "hundreds caught right here yesterday" routine then though...
10.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Back