Notice of Victoria SFAB Meeting - Wed 21st March 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Little Hawk

Thanks again to Chris Bos for all his efforts on our behalf.
Let's all bring a few friends AND ROCK THE JOINT!

Greetings fellow anglers, Spring is soon upon us and we need to hold our local Sport Fishing Advisory Board meeting. I have confirmed with DFO and the hotel a suitable time and date. So please add the following details to your diaries: *_Meeting:_* Victoria and area Sport Fishing Advisory Board Committee *_When:_* Wednesday, 21st March 2012 between 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. *_Where:_* West Shore Ballroom, Sheraton Four Points Victoria Gateway Hotel 829 McCallum Road, Victoria, BC (250) 474-6063 *_About location:_* The hotel is located in Langford on McCallum Road beyond Costco. Parking is free. The West Shore Ballroom is downstairs. I have attached a draft agenda to this email, please let me know if you want any fisheries topics added. I can't express strongly enough how important this particular meeting will be as several crucial aspects of our local fishery will be discussed. It is with great concern I share with you that DFO are now suggesting that this summer's chinook salmon fishery may be closed. Yes, you read correctly, between June 15 and August 31 is the time frame specifically. This meeting applies to all anglers who fish the tidal waters around Jordan River, Sooke, East Sooke, Pedder Bay, Metchosin, Colwood, View Royal, Esquimalt, Victoria, Clover Point, Oak Bay, Cadboro Bay, Gordon Head, Sidney, North Saanich, Brentwood Bay and the southern gulf Islands. Please plan to attend and make sure you share this invitation with all the anglers you know. Regards, Chris _____________ Christopher Bos Victoria and Area Committee Chair Sport Fishing Advisory Board (778) 426-4141 C.Bos@shaw.ca

Note, that DFO is proposing a closure to summer chinook!!!!!!!

Thanks again to Chris Bos for all his efforts on our behalf.
Let's all bring a few friends AND ROCK THE JOINT!

Greetings fellow anglers, Spring is soon upon us and we need to hold our local Sport Fishing Advisory Board meeting. I have confirmed with DFO and the hotel a suitable time and date. So please add the following details to your diaries: *_Meeting:_* Victoria and area Sport Fishing Advisory Board Committee *_When:_* Wednesday, 21st March 2012 between 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. *_Where:_* West Shore Ballroom, Sheraton Four Points Victoria Gateway Hotel 829 McCallum Road, Victoria, BC (250) 474-6063 *_About location:_* The hotel is located in Langford on McCallum Road beyond Costco. Parking is free. The West Shore Ballroom is downstairs. I have attached a draft agenda to this email, please let me know if you want any fisheries topics added. I can't express strongly enough how important this particular meeting will be as several crucial aspects of our local fishery will be discussed. It is with great concern I share with you that DFO are now suggesting that this summer's chinook salmon fishery may be closed. Yes, you read correctly, between June 15 and August 31 is the time frame specifically. This meeting applies to all anglers who fish the tidal waters around Jordan River, Sooke, East Sooke, Pedder Bay, Metchosin, Colwood, View Royal, Esquimalt, Victoria, Clover Point, Oak Bay, Cadboro Bay, Gordon Head, Sidney, North Saanich, Brentwood Bay and the southern gulf Islands. Please plan to attend and make sure you share this invitation with all the anglers you know. Regards, Chris _____________ Christopher Bos Victoria and Area Committee Chair Sport Fishing Advisory Board (778) 426-4141 C.Bos@shaw.ca

So, if DFO decide to close the summer Chinook down will this set a precedent for future seasons ?
Will they continue to close it until the southern Orca residents rebound ?
If so, it will be a final nail in the coffin of the south island sport fishery.
I'm at a loss as to what action can be taken.
More letters,emails,phone calls to fall on deaf ears ??? :(:eek:

It will be interesting to see what strategy our local SFAB has to win this battle. I know the direction I'm leaning if DFO is stead fast on playing hardball and singles out southern V.I. for a total Chinook closure all summer long. I will want all of BC to go to 1 Chinook a day with southern V.I. the same. These fish don't spend their entires lives in southern waters. They are caught in Alaska, Haida Gwai, WCVI and therefor to have any real impact all must cut back. This would put more fish into JDF and ultimately into the Fraser than by just shutting us down and leaving the rest of the coast open. Oh ya...I want verifiable data that the FN fishery in the Fraser is reduced by 50% as well. We all share the pain, not just us all the time. Maybe then we will have a broader range of support from all anglers with these ongoing issues.

If this goes through it will be disasterous precedent! All I can say is that every guides, lodge owner and rec. angler who lives and fishes from Jordan River to Sidney needs to be at this SFAB meeting on March 21. We will not have a hope in hell of changing DFO's mind on this potential closure if that meeting room is not packed. No more excuses, no more letting a handfull of guys represent you all. This will be a time to put your money where your mouth is. We must have some solidarity and strength in numbers on this issue or you might as well start selling your boats and tackle now!

One wonders what other areas are going to be effected?
Mouth of the fraser? All the Vancouver area? Nanaimo area?

Just makes no sense to shut dwn JDF, Majority those fish are intercepted long before that. Im with RR.

Renny might be a tad busy this year.

4 points might not have enugh room for this one. I have over 15 confimed to come along so far, and thats just family.

Posting on behalf of Chris Bos

I would like to clarify my earlier email about the Victoria SFAB Committee meeting on Wednesday March 21st 2012. (text copied below). I used the phrase "It is with great concern I share with you that DFO are now suggesting that this summer's chinook salmon fishery may be closed."

Having just spoken directly to DFO about this matter, I was informed that my earlier suggestion was in fact incorrect. I misunderstood this information after conversations with people who attended a recent SFAB/DFO meeting in Vancouver about Fraser chinook stocks, that a closure was indeed a possibility. DFO is considering management measures related to summer-run Fraser River 5-2 and 4-2 chinook. But I have learnt a fishing closure is not being considered at this time.

It is my understanding that summer-run Fraser River 5-2 and 4-2 chinook brood year, due to return as adults this summer, were in extremely low numbers when out-migrating as juveniles. Therefore, there is some uncertainty around the abundance of adults returning this year. The objective for DFO to achieve a 30,000 chinook river count to meet conservation objectives has brought about these management discussions and considerations. If it appears the number of Fraser chinook returning is below 30,000 then DFO are likely to implement further management measures on the recreational fishery. This issue will be covered in much more detail at the 21st March SFAB meeting regarding what measures are being considered and when measures might come into effect.

In conclusion, let me apologise for inadvertently creating a misconception amongst local anglers. It was not my intent to alarm anyone, hence I originally used the term "... may be closed" and not stating it will be closed. This does however highlight the importance of attending the March 21st SFAB meeting. Clearly this meeting is your opportunity to hear DFO first hand what new plans they have for us, learn about the process, ask questions and give your input to the SFAB, which is very important.

I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday 21st,

Regards,

Chris
____

Slot fishing begins off Sooke on March 1. In all fairness, if it occurs in 20, it should hold for everyone. Not like the "oops" factor last year where we were slotted and others upstream had wide open fishing.

Back