North Island Anglers speak out against Duncan

IronNoggin

ATTENTION SALT WATER ANGLERS!
Gail Shea, the Conservative Minister of Fisheries and Oceans has again backed the decision to gift 88% of the Total Allowable Catch of Pacific halibut to a small number of commercial fishermen,​
Leaving the Canadian public the right to access only 12% of the catch.
So what does this mean to you?
Reduced daily and possession limits (reduced by 50% and 33%)​
Never before seen early in-season closures​
In spite of previous DFO promises not to do exactly that​
But most importantly, the destruction of the 800 year tradition​
of free public access to all common property marine resources.​
In response to anger from all sectors of the sport fishing community, Minister Gail Shea compounded the insult to anglers by coming up with un-workable scheme for recreational anglers to lease back commercial quota. This scheme is doomed from the start and nobody is buying into it.​
So where does your North Island MP John Duncan stand?
Does he speak for the tens of thousands of anglers here on the Island? Will he defend your right to access our marine resources that play such a vital role in our West Coast lifestyle?​
Something every federal fisheries minister has never understood.​
NOT A CHANCE….MR DUNCAN IS NO FRIEND OF RECREATIONAL ANGLERS
John Duncan has stated over and over again the he sees nothing wrong with giving away 88% of our public halibut resource to 435 commercial fishermen of which only 120 actually fish.​
Salmon, lingcod, rockfish and crabs and prawns are next in line for this type privatization.
John Duncan has never stood up to do or say enough
We urge you to think carefully before you vote on May 2nd. Its time to elect a Vancouver Island NorthMP that will stand up for the 300,000- 4000,000 salt water recreational anglers in BC.
John Duncan is NOT that person!
Paid for
ANGRY COMOX VALLEY ANGLERS
CAMPBELL RIVER GUIDES ASSOCIATION
WEST COAST FISHING GUIDES ASSOCIATION

Well the North Island Anglers Association feels the same way and is doing everything in it power to take John D. The choice is ours come election day so it is up to us.

Something I noticed.
In all Duncans publicity..including 1/4 page ad in the Comox Valeey Echo yesterday. He STILL REFUSES to stand up for us recreational anglers. All his ad says is he "supports west coast fisheries"
Yes we know him and shea support their 436 quota owners, some of whom will throw $$ at the conservative party

This guy is slimier than a slime eel!

well i got to sit and have a personal convo with him last nite and he has a different tune, honestly i was very impressed with what he had to say to me face to face, mano e mano.....holmes*

Huh? YOU got taken in by his pre-election mumbo-jumbo??
WTF?

Wondering,
Nog

well i got to sit and have a personal convo with him last nite and he has a different tune, honestly i was very impressed with what he had to say to me face to face, mano e mano.....holmes*

OK, holmes, You REALLY need to expand on this comment.

Can you give us more details on what you and Duncan talked about - exact quotes if possible?

WOW Holmes! I'm totally impressed! You sat face to face with Duncan and you're not in jail! Totally would have expected a thread on here today stating "HOLMES GOES TO PRISON: DUNCAN SLAIN!" after that. Good on ya for not lowering yourself to his level.

What's the difference between a politician and a catfish?

Ones a slimy scum-sucking bottom-dweller and the other ones a fish.

While it sounds like Duncan is getting on side, words are cheap. Actions speak loader than words any day. After the election, if he survives, let's see then what he does to back it up. On the flip side, this proves that we as a recreational fishing sector can and will organize, mount and succeed at changing the political landscape. Think about it.

To little... To late for Mr.Duncan... the man needs to go

What he has been saying is the same old crap that he was saying before just more polished.....
Lip service

Well I didn't want my first post to be political but I gotta ask, even though Duncan has been an arrogant dick to the sport fishing community, wouldn't it be better for us to have government representation with the hope of getting him on our side and maybe in the long run could all work out for the best? I am presuming the conservatives win at the polls.

Well I didn't want my first post to be political but I gotta ask, even though Duncan has been an arrogant dick to the sport fishing community, wouldn't it be better for us to have government representation with the hope of getting him on our side and maybe in the long run could all work out for the best? I am presuming the conservatives win at the polls.

We've HAD government representation and he's never been on 'our' side. I want to make a statement in this election that governments oppose the will of the people at their peril. John Duncan (who I voted for in the past) does NOT represent me or my views and I want him gone. I'm sure he will enjoy his solid gold pension that our taxes will provide.

John Duncan has gone well beyond being "an arrogant dick to the sport fishing community". By his very actions he has well indicated that his own Agenda matters FAR more than the concerns and desires of his constituents. He is rumored, along with Lunn and Kamp to have lobbied even more within his Party to side against the cry for positive change. He avoided the issue completely by refusing to attend any of the related meetings within his riding. And actually RAN from and All Candidates Meeting when it became apparent that privatization was to be one of the topics of discussion. Now, the distinct possibility exists that should he be re-elected, he may actually realize his ambition to head up DFO! Can't wait to see what he does to crabs, prawns and salmon if this ambition is left unchecked! :rolleyes:

There is NO "hope of getting him on our side". His position remains the same, full support of the ongoing (and now increasing under Shea's unfortunate move) privatization of marine resources. Under his "guidance" you can be certain that anything but "in the long run it could all work out for the best" will rule the future of West Coast Fisheries.
While he is now attempting to blindside you into believing a cat can change it's spots with these latest ads, this is but a last-moment and desperate attempt to sway sagging support. Read the ads carefully. He says nothing beyond supporting Shea's decision of early this year, and his offer to work towards settling the issue is FAR from genuine. It is simply yet another manifestation of a worried politico saying anything he thinks you might want to hear, in a desperate scramble to continue forward with his own Agenda and Ambitions. Fool me once...

The Conservatives NEED to hear the message. To date they have chosen to blatantly ignore the desires of the voting public. Such arrogance should be accountable, and now, at this exact point, it is. This is NOT a vote for Jacko nor Ignorantoff. It IS a vote against those who place their own ideals before those of the people they are supposed to represent. Methinks Harper et al can hardly misinterpret the message, Ignore the desires of the Common Man at your Peril!

I further believe that ignoring that message would bring down even more wrath down the road. In all likelihood, the ridings that the Conservatives lose in this go-round will once again return to their fold in the future. That possibility of course will rely Heavily upon just how they now respond to the message we bring to bear through this election. Fix It while you have the chance! The options for not doing so have been well presented!

I hope all those within the North Island riding seriously consider just where we want our fisheries to end up both now and down the road when they vote! If Duncan assumes the helm, we may as well start selling off our boats and gear as quickly as possible, and begin to investigate other activities. The words of one particular Fish Lord come to mind: "Let them play Golf". Sorry (NOT) I prefer to fish...

Cheers,
Nog

He had his chance to speak up for his constituents-- he deliberately did NOT!...... Time to go ...

BTW, Duncan's lack of popularity goes well and beyond the issue of simply halibut and the privatization of our marine resources. Here is yet another example...

WEB EXTRA: Duncan deserves support only when he stands up for people's concerns

Published: April 28, 2011 5:00 PM
Updated: April 28, 2011 5:28 PM

Dear editor,
We keep getting phone calls telling us the Conservatives need our vote. In our area, that would be a vote for you, Mr. Duncan.

That would mean you are promising to represent us in Ottawa.

So, will you vote to stop the polluting Raven coal mine, or at least insist on an environmental assessment and aquifer assessment be done before permits are granted? Our atmosphere and seafood industry are at great risk as well as the safety of our highways.

Will your work to give the sports fishers a fair share of the halibut catch? Those resources belong to all Canadians, Mr. Duncan.

Will you work to keep the $57 million in the Fisheries and Oceans domain to assist in keeping the big draggers from destroying our fisheries? Will you work to keep the huge oil tankers away from our coast to further destroy our fisheries? To say nothing of the whales which are declining in numbers.

Will you work to bring our servicemen home from unwinnable wars? Read your Bible, sir, and you will discover that those Eastern countries have been at war since the beginning of recorded history, and will continue to be at war into whatever future we may have. It is their way of life.

It is time to concentrate on our northern regions and defend Canada’s sovereignty in the Arctic. Russia has discarded nuclear waste spreading in those northern waters which are polluting, according to Dr. David Suzuki’s Arctic program last evening (April 12). He also cautions about tanker traffic in unstable ships through our pristine waters.

These are some of the concerns regarding our future and are of vital importance to us as B.C.’ers and Canadians. We expect you to stand up for our concerns, that is why you are sent to Ottawa. Only then do you deserve our vote.

G.F. White,
Union Bay

http://www.bclocalnews.com/opinion/letters/120918194.html

Time to Toss Out The Trash methinks!
Nog

Keep the pressure on and see this through to the end...we need to get our North Island recreational angler vote out. If you live in the North Island riding, and you have family and friends now is the time to call them up and plead our case and ask them to vote against Duncan. Our best solution is to send the only kind of political message these guys understand....unemployment.

Halibut News flash from the future

Jan 1, 2012
From the office of John Duncan
Minister of Commercial Fisheries and Oceans Canada

I am pleased today to announce that last year’s experimental halibut fishery has been a great success. I have meet with retired halibut fisherman and found that they will not be seeking financial assistance again this year if the experimental halibut fishery continues. With this knowledge I have meet with all stakeholders, and except for recreational and active halibut fishers, we have agreement on all sides that this program should continue. Therefore today I am happy to announce that for the 2012 and forward the experimental halibut fishery will be come permanent. The new name for the fishery will be “ Canadian Halibut Integrated TAC” or CHIT for short. In anticipation to many questions I know you may have I have enclosed this short Q&A for your review.

Q- What is the purpose of the CHIT halibut fishery and what is being accomplished?
A- The CHIT halibut fishery will be market-based mechanism that allows an CHIT licence holder to acquire halibut quota from the retired commercial sector to fish for recreational purposes. The slipper skippers will have a steady income for themselves and their future generations and they can be assured not to have to work for a living.

Q-How will this CHIT halibut fishery work?
A-CHIT halibut licences are being made available for the rest of time (your kids will thank us). In addition to the regular tidal water sport fishing licence, recreational harvesters can obtain an CHIT halibut licence, on a mandatory basis, that will allow the licence holder to lease halibut quota from retired commercial harvesters, thereby giving them certainty for retirement planning purposes. The additional quota associated with the CHIT halibut licence will allow individual recreational harvesters to fish beyond the current limits of a standard recreational license (a daily limit of 1/2 and possession limit of 1), up to the amount of additional quota acquired on the CHIT halibut licence.

Q-How will recreational harvesters be able to access commercial quota?
A-The Department will work with participants in the permanent program to direct them to the appropriate information. Commercial Fisheries and Oceans Canada annually publishes a list of 435 commercial halibut licence holders, including the person or company that holds the license and quota. Due to privacy issues this list has been crypto graphed and you will need special glasses to see it. Glasses can be purchased at our Tuktoyaktuk office only.

Q- How will we be able to find commercial harvesters willing to sell quota?
A- The Jim Pattison Group of Companies working with DFO will make available, at all there locations, a coupon book for halibut quota. Pricing has been confirmed and we are happy to report a special rate of ten dollars per pound,+ HST. The new coupon books will be called the “Pension on Ocean Halibut” or POOH for short.

Q- Can I take this CHIT and POOH and stick it up your…… where the sun don’t shine?
A- Currently DFO is not accepting ideas as that’s not the process. If you would like to get involved with the process you can waste your time in countless meetings that are put on for show in you community. The decisions are made back east with the lobbyists that are currently paid by the commercial fishing organizations.

Q-I’m a retired halibut fisherman what’s in it for me.
A-You lucky ******* keep your mouth shut and maybe if we get re-elected you will keep those pension funds rolling in. Better yet send letters to the local papers with your distorted view on how we should run this Canadian Commercial Resource.

Q-I just want to go and have a chance to catch a couple of Halibut what do I have to do?
A- You will have to take CHIT and POOH from us until we have a new Minister.

Back