Nootka Sound

oguard

This past week I was up in Nootka sound fishing.Plenty of fish but not alot biting.I did get my limit of springs and the weather was also good.Tons of makeral eating the bait so we switched to lures and had more success.Luna the whale was a big problem,The whale played with a 25' boat for about an hour making a mess of it.I guess it will take a death for the government to do something about it.The fishing should pick up if the rains come.

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Both,They closed Burrwood so Luna the whale had somewhere to go lol.We ran out to Washer Rock a couple days and the rest was spent fishing the inside The Wall and The Slide.Camel Rock was a real zoo so we stayed away from that.One warning Cougar Creek has a real problem with bears so keep your coolers locked away and out of sight.Dick will fill you in when you arrive there.

Mike

Just came back from Nootka. Fished up to 12 hours a day, and all over the place. As many as 50 boats were at Camel Rock battling for a few springs. Basically, slow all over the place. On Friday morning, there was a bit of a bite at Camel Rock. Apparently, there was a good bite down from Critter Cove but alot of fish were lost to ignorant boaters not giving any room to the guy who hooked a fish.

It may be that the Alberni problem of the sockeye running up the flooding rivers is what happened at Nootka, as few dark fish were caught, and what was caught was silver. There should be some fresh late runs coming through. Be careful with the closed areas as DFO and RCMP are out in force protecting Luna and ticketing guys at Canal Island inside the Tahsis closed area like crazy. Licences and gear are also being checked by DFO when Luna is behaving itself and DFO has nothing to do.

By the way, a boat had its kicker knocked by Luna bending the bracket, and another had the hull knocked. Critter Cove staff say one of the float cabins was also bumped by Luna as he is haning around the marina.

Drewski

Is it just me or ironical that when a Bear becomes a threat or problem in a certain area, it is searched out and destroyed because it is a threat to human life. Is there a radical difference here? Protect the whale until he does cause a loss to someones life or injury. Sorry but I just dont get it.

B Gibb

It will not be long until someone is injured or killed by this whale.It has no interest in other whales.When pods of whales come in Luna goes and hides.There is no difference in a problem bear and luna except for the size.

Mike

Luna is a pain! We were at Critter Cove the week of July 15-22. He came into the harbor on the 21st He rubbing on several boats and he tore apart the fish cleaning dock water pump. I don't think Cameron was too pleased to seem there. Needless to say the fishing went downhill when he showed up. I've got pictures, but it doesn't look like this board allows them.

There was an artical done in the evening news this weekend. Sounds like the concensus is he needs go before someone is killed.

Luna is at least entertaining when the fishing is no good. But then again, is that the reason the Salmon are not showing up?

By the way, to all you guys thinking of going crabbing in the usual Mutchulat Inlet spot, don't bother. Some A Hole is again cleaning out traps so all you are doing is feeding this slob. I pulled my traps after a few days. At least the traps didn't get wrecked like last year.

Drewski

Me and 3 other guys are heading up to Nootka Sound for 4 days fishing.

Any advice?

Seems like the fishing (like everywhere else is a bit slow) Sigh!!!!

Sharp hooks and full traps!

You might need to go alittle deeper maybe 60'to 70'and use something that makes them mad.The morning bite was non existent but there was an afternoon bite.Good luck!

Mike

I was wonndering if anyone has any up to the minute info on Nootka since the rains of last weekend! Did many fish get drive into the inside> I'm taking a day trip Saturday and then another 3 day August 15-17. I know it's been sporadic just curious if it has picked up and what the latest on Luna is?

SW COWBOY

I do the Fishing, God does the Catching!

Anybody just back from Nootka, or heard any good things?

SW COWBOY

LAdy at work here got call from hubby today. Fished all day yesterday only got two. This morning = two hits.

The sad thing is that these guys are no rookies and go up there often. They said that the rains have made no positive difference....yet.

Fished Nootka and area Aug 5-7. Ferrer Pt was hopping around afternoon slack. Loaded up on springs 18-31 lbs, anchovy 18-35 ft. Evenings fished Hoiss Pt and Wall. Slow...managed 1-2 fish per night. Inside fishing in general was much slower than past years. Luna was at Critter every day playing with dock and boats. I avoided Critter, except for fuel and only went when Luna was not there. All in all a good trip.

Just got back from a Nootka day trip on Saturday and the fishing was somewhat spotty but still managed to get our limit of 4 springs all between 20-24lbs. We fished Hoiss Pt, Friendly Cove, Argonaut Point and they all had small windows of oportunity where the bite turned on. We lost two more right at the boat and had one take our trail hook on the anchovy and another one take the teaser head and hooks, as well as a couple other good hits that didn't hook up. We were also running into tons of makarel as they are fully inside now and starting to become a nuisance. Only caught 7-8 in 12 hours but that's still a pain!! Oh well it was still a great day on the water, saw BlueOrca up there and he seemed to be doing about the same! MOre info to come as I'm heading up for three days next Monday-Wednesday! Till then let her run!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SW COWBOY

Any body up recently? I'm heading back up for three days on Monday and will post a report when I get back! Would love to hear if anyone's been out in Nootka and how they made out?

SW COWBOY

A friend of mine just got back,dropped some fish her and was on his way back.Fishing has picked up a little.

Mike

Back