Nootka Guide busted

salmonkiller01

Just read this in the courier islander, wow dfo is out there!!

http://www2.canada.com/courierislander/news/story.html?id=a51d653d-3eb5-4b75-bfbb-e3e7a231a45e

Raid on Nootka Island Fishing Lodge alledges serious fisheries violations, could lead to larger investigation
Dan MacLennan, Courier-Islander
Published: Friday, September 04, 2009
Fisheries Act charges are pending and more are expected following a DFO/RCMP raid on the Nootka Island Fishing Lodge last week.

And that raid may only be part of a much larger investigation, says DFO.

Members of the DFO's Gold River field office and Nootka Sound RCMP visited the site, not far from the mouth of Nootka Sound, off the west coast of the Island Thursday evening.
According to Jason Knight, DFO's Gold River field supervisor, they arrested a fishing guide, seized a fishing boat and gear, and interviewed guides and clients.

"We apprehended a recreational fishing guide operating out of Nootka Island Lodge for some serious violations of recreational fishing regulations," he said. "Fishery officers were acting on information that was received from the general public, as well as an observed history of violations, conducting an extensive investigation utilizing both traditional patrol and surveillance techniques as well as plain clothes operations fishing alongside the violators in a vessel.

"Numerous violations of the fishing regulations including chinook conservation rules, were documented by the officers on more than one of the employees of the lodge."

Knight wouldn't go into specifics, saying the investigation is ongoing. He said the investigation started last year.

"We've laid some charges already and are looking at further charges in regards to barbed hooks and the conservation corridor for the chinook, and coho regulations for wild coho returning to the Fraser River. They were caught in an area where they're not allowed to retain wild coho that would be transiting stock.

"There's many violations, (including) failing to record chinook on a licence. There's a lot of issues."

Knight said RCMP seized a quantity of marijuana as well.

A Nootka Island Fishing Lodge spokesperson was unavailable for comment at press time.

DFO has established conservation 'corridors' in the area to protect and support spawning chinook. Knight said they're trying to protect chinook over 77 centimetres in length because many of them are females returning to spawn in west coast streams, loaded with eggs.

"The sportfishing industry can still have an opportunity to fish but we're trying to protect the larger females to get back into the system to spawn so that they can try and get the stocks to come back to historical levels," he said.

Knight said the DFO investigation isn't restricted to the one lodge.

"This isn't necessarily an isolated event with one group or one lodge," he said. "We are continuing to investigate similar events in other locations. I can assure you that it's more than an individual lodge but we're not quite sure of the scope at this time."

DFO is asking the public to report any violations on its toll free line 1-800-465-4336.

I was pretty shocked reading this, never thought that guides would break the rules putting their lively hood is on the line. I too hope it is isolated.

x2
quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

more common then you think, when paying guests are on board and the pressure is on, there is always the temptation to bend the rules.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - a new Fishing forum

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Knight said RCMP seized a quantity of marijuana as well.

Maybe he just "forgot"...[8D]

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Unknown, can't agree with you more the hole printing your own copy off on the computer is BS. how hard is it to plan ahead a few hours and get one at the store. I like washington states thing where you have to mail it back to them or you could face a fine, then they will have a better idea what's being caught.

I don't think he's being Naive at all. While there are some abusing the fishery, it is relatively hard to fill a license and few and far between. My family could take 80-120 Spings before worrying about filling licenses (pretty excessive quota REALLY.)

To those few actually exceeding their limits, it's only a matter of time.

It was pretty easy to fill the quota of 15 keepers for the Inside this year. With that hot spell in Nananimo at one point you couldnt keep springs off your line for more than 5 mins.

DFO was waitng in there boat at Freindly Cove in august waiting for guys to come in from offshore. I was at Critter cove and watched lots of wild coho getting filleted. A few guides in Port Renfrew were fined last year.

What do I take you for? I dont take you for anything, I dont even know who you are. However,I do fish pretty much every day in a given season and I honestly dont know anyone who fill 30 slots. If a person does fill 30 slots, then theyre probably selling their fish, and those people probably wouldnt record their fish anyway.
quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

...not! What do you take me for - just because you may not catch and record that many chinook doesn't mean others don't and of the ones that do there is a percentage that loose their license every year and get another so that they can continue killing. You are pretty naive to think that it does not happen, when in fact it happens a lot.

- UNKNOWN -

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Having fished the area for many years I wondered how a few guys were getting away with fishing in the corridor. I would see the same boats fishing illegally all the time. I guess it has finally caught up with them. Good work DFO! As a guide it pisses me off as the rest of us get tarnished too. Take the boat, sell it, take the privilege of fishing away for a few years too and then a hefty fine.
All licenses issued should come with an electronic card that would give you access to a terminal where catch data can be uploaded. (make it mandatory to do so) With accurate data comes the ability to manage fisheries properly and avoid 2 things..overfishing stocks that truly need protection and just as important preventing unnecessary closures that only hurt all users.

Then there's "subsistence" fishing... Sort-of like "subsistence" hunting... Hmmm! Oxymoron???... For slothfullness??? Buy a calf, raise a cow. Dig a pond, raise some fish... Too much like work, no fun. Too much responsibility. Neighbours complain... until they're invited to the BBQ.

I've never been with a guide all tags weren't marked right away... except... by one of the biggest corporate outfits, once... & I've never been back. And, except that once, every guide I've used checked for my license & my 'lines' before I got on the boat.

In a year, I could eat 30 pinks and maybe 30 socks. Probably 30 coho. I'm not sure I could eat 30 chinook (25#+) in a year on top of that. Now, a seal... I'd bet that would take a year to chew through, and save ... How many salmon, steelhead & cutties?.. Plus the herring-feed left for salmon?.. I see a solution here!

Cheers!

DFO booked charters last year (plainclothes) in Renfrew and gave out some good fines later, barbs, closed areas etc. But are the dfo guys sort of guilty too because they were fishing also. They are getting tricky , the guy fishing next to you in ocean or river could be undercover just waiting.[:0]

Back