No Announcements

Powerset

Isn’t it more likely that DFO will go into the new 2019 Sportfishing License without any formal announcement on Chinook retention? I think so because they made quite a few changes last year, so is one year of new trials really a proper sample size to say we suddenly have to do more again this year! That’s not their style. I also looked at many of the Chinook forecasts for this season, not awful, unless we’re talking upper fraser. That’s a real concern, and the government has announced major funding initiatives to help with that. I hate being a doom and gloomer all the time. I hope we get our time on the water. It’s important to all of us. My best friends and I fish together. It’s the most fun we have every year. Not because we get to catch fish, but because we get to fish period!

I am expecting an announcement from DFO around March 28
The new licenses come into effect April 1.
That's the way DFO work.
My guess is more restrictions for Southern Vancouver Island and nothing new for the West Coast.
Or worse!

That's the way DFO work.
My guess is more restrictions for Southern Vancouver Island and nothing new for the West Coast.
Or worse!
I am pretty sure they will wait until everyone buys there new license then they will make announcement that's how they work

I would expect an announcement some time in the first two weeks of april. There will be pain coming

SOG south and the JDF will be hit hard, I've made arrangements to store my boat north Island, going to pull it up their probably in june and leave it there to september.

sad would like to fish local but don't see it

That's the way DFO work.
Or worse!

We were told at our Nanaimo meeting that the decision would be made some time in April. That means we would still fish to last years restrictions ( at least that is how it was explained to me) until the changes roll in. Personally I would rather have the announcement be late.

Just to clarify we have to stop the attitude in south that they are the victim. It's my fishery too but other areas such as area 18 were under restrictions for years for Cowichan chinook.

Many south areas like Sooke and Vic were wide open for years while you couldn't fish 18. No one seem to care there.

This time it is going be shared pain so Sooke and Vic won't be alone. This time it's a different ball of wax...

I would hope DFO have the common courtesy to make an announcement
prior to the 2019 on-line licensing begins.
I'm pretty sure that a Chinook closure will severely impede the sale of new licenses.

Back