No Anchovies in 2022 Again?

I usually fish a medium or large Herring on one side and chovie on the other. Find the bites to be 50/50. Pinks will hit chovies but stay away from Herring. So dollar per pound it's Herring for me. Speaking of the Fraser mouth fishery.
Always more available as well it seems

I usually fish a medium or large Herring on one side and chovie on the other. Find the bites to be 50/50. Pinks will hit chovies but stay away from Herring. So dollar per pound it's Herring for me. Speaking of the Fraser mouth fishery.
If fishing is slow I can fish the same anchovy for 8 hours and it will come out of the water in as good a shape as it did when first put in the water...herring will loose all their scales and not look like it should be alive and swimming.

If fishing is slow I can fish the same anchovy for 8 hours and it will come out of the water in as good a shape as it did when first put in the water...herring will loose all their scales and not look like it should be alive and swimming.
The small Herring don't hold up nearly as well as the medium and large ones. I also brine my bait. I've checked Herring many a time and sent them back down after inspection. The thought of dragging the same piece of bait around for 8 hours is depressing. Lol. I'd be impatient and change bait or tactics long before then.

Anyway. Let's hope we get our hands on some decent chovies this summer. They do fish well and I've landed some beauties on them.

Island Outfitters has Fire Cracker size..18 to a pack. Got a pack to try....just to see how firm they are and what it takes to get them to roll nice. I usually go for bigger stuff.

As of an hour ago the Canadian Tire in Duncan had a freezer full of the mini-chovies for $13.99. I only bought two packs as I don’t have mini teaser heads and smaller hooks to go with them.

Last edited:
There will be less anchovies than two weeks ago.
Just read this on ABC news.

Thousands of anchovies wash up on Bay Area shore California.

Thousands of dead anchovies washed ashore on the Bolinas Lagoon shore in Marin County, California, earlier this week, according to photos and video shared with ABC San Francisco station KGO.

This is just one of those times where we kind of get to see just the sheer number of the size of these schools of fish," Marin County Parks director Max Korten told KGO. "So it's kind of amazing."

There is still uncertainty about why the fish washed up on the shore. Referencing biologists, Korten explained, "What likely happened is, you know, some kind of predator out in the ocean encountered a school of anchovy somewhere near the mouth of Bolinas Lagoon," according to KGO.

Thousands of dead anchovies washed up on the Bolinas Lagoon shore in Marin County, Calif. this week.© Marin Country Parks via Instagram Thousands of dead anchovies washed up on the Bolinas Lagoon shore in Marin County, Calif. this week.

He said this possibly pushed the anchovy more toward the shallow water, where they sucked up the limited oxygen and suffocated, according to KGO.

A volunteer researcher told KGO News the anchovy could have been going where the food is.

Jim Ervin also told KGO this La Nina year is generating more food production and the foraging fish are following. He explained the cool water is bringing in more anchovy than seen in the last 10 years off the coast and in the bay.

Ervin said seabirds are feasting. "There's more fish than they know what to do with," he told KGO.

Officials said there is no reason to panic over the mass die-off, saying similar events have happened several times over the last few decades.

tons of the smaller sized anchovies available at Cabelas in Nanaimo. There is some nice herring there as well, which I figured were the ideal sized anchovies until I looked closer at the red labelling.

Picked up 3 packs of 10, 6 inch anchovies @ Bass Pro at Twaswassan, $14 each

Were they Rhys Davis? Last year when I bought there, they were some brand I've never heard of. Didn't catch a damn thing on them.
Columbia River Bait Company, vacuum packed, look like they will do the trick. I got them from the freezer.Maybe you grab the rubber Baitrix, those never work,

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:
I know there is a thread in General Forum but that area is not Salty enough for me to visit much.
So looks like the answer to anchovie shortage this year is a new Brand of Alaska Bait Co.

Looks like there is a gold and silver label but product and price looks the same. Any difference?
They look to be big and not as shapely and shiny as the Rhys Davis.
Anyone tried yet?
Do they roll well? Do their bellies hold up?

I have seen stock in Victoria at:
Trotac = $18.99
Island Outfitters $16.99
Can Tire $14.99

At least there is an option for when August gets here. Meanwhile the shortage has forced me to use more hardware with great results which has built my confidence and I have always been a bait guy. Said many times, nothing imitates bait like ... Bait.
Lots of small bait so far in the areas I have fished.

A friend just came back from Bremerton's West Marine store and he picked up a 1/2 case of shinny, extra large anchovies which are nicely vacuumed packed. The bellies of the anchovies appear to be empty. If they are getting larger anchovies in Washington, you would think there should be some making there way north.

Columbia River Bait Company
Naselle WA.

Attachments

• Anchovies.jpg
    Anchovies.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 70
Back