new trailer lights

Bows Up

Like the title says it is time for new trailer lights. LED vs bulb vs build a bar and to hell with remembering to unplug before launching. Leaning towards LED but wonder whether the submersible claims are true in salt water.

Opinions, gentlemen ?

Gone through two sets of LED from Princess auto and they failed in less than a year in both cases. Im running cheap bulb style now with dielectric grease and if I halve to replace again its cheap...

I have LED's. Going on 5 years. Only one has gone bad. Do not know what brand, but can look when I go to storage yard.

I use LED lights in all my trailers. Not the ones from princess auto though. I use the round sealed ones that you might see on freight trailers and log truck trailers. I made the brackets out of 1/8th aluminium. Filled the plugs with dilectric grease. Do not unplug when backing in and have had no problems in over eight years of fairly constant use. The lights are hemetically sealed ( l think that's the word), and were quite dear when l got them, but l see the price has dropped since then.

Doing a better job of the trailer light to trailer wire connection helped me make the Princess Auto lights last longer. Previously the copper was black in both directions. It's wrong, but I used wire nuts and packed a big gob of sikaflex in and around the open ends, still going 3 years.

Marine grade butt crimps with self-sealing heat shrink would be the proper way, but I can't find that stuff around here.

I've had LED's for 2 years now with zero issues. They are 3 times brighter than the regular incandescent units. They are double sealed really. Don't know anything about the unplugging thing. I have always left them plugged in. Should last me a long time (knock on wood).

By previous post's, don't buy the ones from Princess Auto. Most times (especially in this application) it doesn't pay to buy the cheapest.

I've had LED's three years now with not a single problem on my Roadrunner trailer. I unplug when trailer gets dipped. The old 3057's were a disaster. Always replacing them. I used to keep an extra set of lights in my SUV on any trips up the Island just in case as they always failed. LED is the way to go. I have confidence they are not going to fail while I am on the road. Not sure who Roadrunner gets their lights from but they have been consistent performers.

I have mounted my LED lights on a 8ft 2x4 and hang them off the back of the boat. The lights never get submerged and have always worked for the last 12 years. Would never go back to lights mounted on the trailer. Immersing lights and electrical connections in salt water is a problem waiting to happen IMHO.

You can also seal the connections by wrapping in black poly electrical tape and then coat with PVC glue. Will melt the tape in to a solid seal.

I use Liquid Electrical Tape , it seals connections, works well. I find it easier to paint on odd shaped
connections compared to wrapping tightly with tape. I think the last can I bought was from Canadian Tire and comes in different colours too.

Back