New to me boat!

SSwilson92

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0KMVixk4paPSPjQ-L7wnx2ORA#Cates_Park

After fishing my first two saltwater seasons out of my 16’ Sangster I decided to upgrade to a purpose fishing boat. 1992 Sea Ray Laguna with a 2006 Merc Verado 175. Gotta install sounder/rigger wiring and hope to have it out for some winter action ASAP. Going to give it a good scrub this weekend and will add some more pics!

Cheers

Congrats on the new toy.

Looks like a dandy boat, lots of room in the center console models. Never go wrong with a SeaRay.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0KMVixk4paPSPjQ-L7wnx2ORA#Cates_Park

After fishing my first two saltwater seasons out of my 16’ Sangster I decided to upgrade to a purpose fishing boat. 1992 Sea Ray Laguna with a 2006 Merc Verado 175. Gotta install sounder/rigger wiring and hope to have it out for some winter action ASAP. Going to give it a good scrub this weekend and will add some more pics!

Cheers
Wow 175 Vrod !!!! that thing gotta boogie, looks like you will have fun.
I love my Laguna

Also, I will be swapping out the swivel seats at the helm for a leaning post. Hoping to stick with the pedastal mounts in the floor and would ideally like something I could sit on as well. If anyone has any suggestions or feedback on different post setups it would be much appreciated as this is going to be the first mod aside from rigging the fishing gear.

EDIT***

Also, if anyone has a leaning post to sell please let me know as I'm going to be swapping out soon

Cheers

Last edited:
Here's a couple more detailed shots of the sloop after a bit of a cleaning. The seats have to go so I'll be adding the bench/leaning post in the next couple weeks. I've been looking around and would really like to use the existing post mounts with a bench that's backrest flips to either side. They appear to be around $1000 USD from what I can see is that kind of the going rate? This next question may seem a little obvious, but I am still a relatively new boat owner, is the seal between the console and deck is falling apart and all mildewy so I am going to scrape it out and and re seal it. Is there any special silicone to use or just the desired colour?

Attachments

• IMG_1996.PNG
    IMG_1996.PNG
    888 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1996.PNG
    IMG_1996.PNG
    888 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1995.PNG
    IMG_1995.PNG
    933.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1994.PNG
    IMG_1994.PNG
    905.2 KB · Views: 125
Here's a couple more detailed shots of the sloop after a bit of a cleaning. The seats have to go so I'll be adding the bench/leaning post in the next couple weeks. I've been looking around and would really like to use the existing post mounts with a bench that's backrest flips to either side. They appear to be around $1000 USD from what I can see is that kind of the going rate? This next question may seem a little obvious, but I am still a relatively new boat owner, is the seal between the console and deck is falling apart and all mildewy so I am going to scrape it out and and re seal it. Is there any special silicone to use or just the desired colour?

I'm not a fan of silicone sealants. Especially on boats. 3M makes an excellent line of sealant/adhesive products. Available at any chandlery. Sicaflex is another great sealer.
I use 3M 5200 for most jobs. Ask your chandler for advice. Some products are fast dry, some are sealants & some are sealant/ adhesisives. If you ever want to take the joints apart again, use the sealant type, rather than the adhesive stuff.
I have used both brands & like the 3M products a bit more. Sicaflex is usually less expensive, especially if you buy the caulking gun size tubes.
Both brands harden in the tubes fairly quickly after opening, so I suggest not buying more than you need. I like to find fresh stock, because even unopened, the sealant hardens over time in the tube.

I am planning to build a leaning bench for my boat, too. Your pedestals should work great. I'm going to use pressure treated 5/8" plywood ('cause I have some lying around) for the seat base. A length of 6" high density foam on top, with a good quality vinyl stapled over the foam for a pad. I'll probably carve the foam to form a rounded top and do something to pad the plywood edges. I'll work that out when the time comes. Maybe glue 2" foam along the sides, covering the plywood edges & the sides of the 6" foam. Pretty easy to do a nice job cutting foam with an electric carving knife. Spray contact cement works well for gluing foam together.
If 5/8" ply is too flexible, I'll double it up & glue the pieces together.
A local upholstery shop has sold me leftovers of vinyl & foam for a good price in the past. Something to check out if you can't find the materials you need elsewhere.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of silicone sealants. Especially on boats. 3M makes an excellent line of sealant/adhesive products. Available at any chandlery. Sicaflex is another great sealer.
I use 3M 5200 for most jobs. Ask your chandler for advice. Some products are fast dry, some are sealants & some are sealant/ adhesisives. If you ever want to take the joints apart again, use the sealant type, rather than the adhesive stuff.
I have used both brands & like the 3M products a bit more. Sicaflex is usually less expensive, especially if you buy the caulking gun size tubes.
Both brands harden in the tubes fairly quickly after opening, so I suggest not buying more than you need. I like to find fresh stock, because even unopened, the sealant hardens over time in the tube.

I am planning to build a leaning bench for my boat, too. Your pedestals should work great. I'm going to use pressure treated 5/8" plywood ('cause I have some lying around) for the seat base. A length of 6" high density foam on top, with a good quality vinyl stapled over the foam for a pad. I'll probably carve the foam to form a rounded top and do something to pad the plywood edges. I'll work that out when the time comes. Maybe glue 2" foam along the sides, covering the plywood edges & the sides of the 6" foam. Pretty easy to do a nice job cutting foam with an electric carving knife. Spray contact cement works well for gluing foam together.
If 5/8" ply is too flexible, I'll double it up & glue the pieces together.
A local upholstery shop has sold me leftovers of vinyl & foam for a good price in the past. Something to check out if you can't find the materials you need elsewhere.

Thanks for the great info. Sounds like you've got a pretty sweet bench in the works! I didn't really think about building one initially. I've been leaning towards the TODD universal bench/post that adapts right to the existing pillars but it's only 31" high and I'm 6'4. Another 3-4 inches would be ideal but we'll have to see.

If you're looking for something off the shelf, TODD makes something designed to do exactly what you're trying to do. Not free, but quick and ready to go. It will give you an idea of what it costs for something off the shelf vs. self fabricated. Since it's in USD you may as well budget for double the listed price, or $1500 Cdn, landed here with tax and shipping and exchange taken into account.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|7504|2290169|2290172&id=1972478

Features:

• This "New" system allows for easy replacement of old chairs to a new leaning post, without the removal of existing pedestals.
  • The (2) 3-1/2" "Magnum" Pedestal Posts adjust from Port to Starboard
    • Leave your old 2-7/8" Pedestals in place
    • "Magnum" Pedestal Posts are oversized to fit over existing seat posts
    • Post Material: Anodized Aluminum
    • New posts adjusts from 21" on center to 28.5" on center, as well as adjusting front to back
  • Dimensions Outside 15-3/4" D x 37" W x 11" H

EDIT: I just noticed West Marine has this same post for the same money. Upside of that is West Marine will ship it to your closest USA West Marine store for free. Save a ton of money and headache that way.

Last edited:
Back