New to me boat, what should we rig it with?

I'm considering repowering with a brand new 115 Yamaha but, there is no built in tank just a couple that portables.

Any suggestions on options, on fuel consumption, how much should be a minimum on board?

I'm considering repowering with a brand new 115 Yamaha but, there is no built in tank just a couple that portables.

Any suggestions on options, on fuel consumption, how much should be a minimum on board?
You'll probably only be burning 15 liters/hr when cruising with that motor, and there's plenty of 20+ gallon "Portable" tanks. Unless you're doing 100+ mile trips, you should be fine.

My Yamaha 100 gets me about 1.25 NM/L, and I have about 95L of capacity, I can get to fishing grounds 40 miles away and back.

Before you go buy a "20+ gallon Portable tank" realize no marina or gas station is knowingly going to let you fill it while it's on the boat. Portable gas tanks have to be on the dock or ground for safety, and that tank is going to be close to 160 lbs when filled. Not much fun lifting off the dock, even less off the ground on to a trailered boat. I have a 115 Yamaha on an 18' fibreglass boat with a built in 145 litre tank, that's equal to about six of the most common 5 gallon portable tanks. Gettin kinda crowded on deck. A better option may be installing a built in tank. More bad news, your new motor adds 130 lbs. to your transom, 8 horse kicker = 90 lbs, kicker bracket = 15 lbs. Now some good news, I don't think you need that much motor on a tin boat that size. North King Lodge put 60's on those boats 'cause they work. If you still want more power a Yamaha 70 uses the same 996cc power head as your 60 and only weighs 6 lbs more, step up to a Yamaha 75 and the power head used is 1596cc and about 100 lbs more. The 70 Yamaha is also about $4000 cheaper than the 115

...and while you're deciding which outboard to hang off the stern, consider installing a couple of simple gauges that might just save you a lot of money - or if the motor has the capability, make sure to put them up on your displays. I have an older 115 Yamaha 2-stroke, and I installed a water temp gauge, and a water pressure gauge - as cheap insurance.

I have a buddy who was heading out on a nice summer cruise with his Yamaha 115 4-stroke at high speed, with the tunes turned up pretty loud - apparently. He - unfortunately - ran over a plastic shopping bag, which wrapped itself around the leg, and blocked off the water intakes.

As no one I know of just leaves the helm and walks back to the stern to check the tell-tale while underway, and with the tunes turned up, he heard the over-heat buzzer at just about the same time as the motor tossed a rod out the side of the block.

With water temp and pressure gauges, either old style or up on your displays, most people do scan gauges from time to time. Noticing water pressure dropping to zero and temp heading rapidly upwards to the red zone could have saved him from poking a huge hole in his wallet.

....just a thought.....

if the boat can handle a 90 good...go for
as many ponys as the boat can hold. as
far as portable gas tanks go i have run
them all my life and have never had
to pull them out to be filled. i have two
so when one runs out i know im exactly
half way in my fuel consumption.

You'll probably only be burning 15 liters/hr when cruising with that motor, and there's plenty of 20+ gallon "Portable" tanks. Unless you're doing 100+ mile trips, you should be fine.

My Yamaha 100 gets me about 1.25 NM/L, and I have about 95L of capacity, I can get to fishing grounds 40 miles away and back.
Cool thanks a lot for your input.

Before you go buy a "20+ gallon Portable tank" realize no marina or gas station is knowingly going to let you fill it while it's on the boat. Portable gas tanks have to be on the dock or ground for safety, and that tank is going to be close to 160 lbs when filled. Not much fun lifting off the dock, even less off the ground on to a trailered boat. I have a 115 Yamaha on an 18' fibreglass boat with a built in 145 litre tank, that's equal to about six of the most common 5 gallon portable tanks. Gettin kinda crowded on deck. A better option may be installing a built in tank. More bad news, your new motor adds 130 lbs. to your transom, 8 horse kicker = 90 lbs, kicker bracket = 15 lbs. Now some good news, I don't think you need that much motor on a tin boat that size. North King Lodge put 60's on those boats 'cause they work. If you still want more power a Yamaha 70 uses the same 996cc power head as your 60 and only weighs 6 lbs more, step up to a Yamaha 75 and the power head used is 1596cc and about 100 lbs more. The 70 Yamaha is also about $4000 cheaper than the 115
I've heard good things about the 70, but I don't think the fueling up is an issue. I've had 50L "Portable" tanks before, and no marina I filled up at ever made me take it out. But good point with the weight

Awesome pointers guys, the transom is rated for 115 so I have been told by westbridge and so I was leaning towards more ponies than less. In saying that I figured fuel consumption is going to increase. I currently have two portables in the boat. Weight of big portables your right would be a pain in the back if you had to pull them in and out of the boat.

I may look closer at the 90s as another option.

Picked up a new Lowrance HDS7 Gen3. With an Airmar p66 transducer. What settings do you guys that own them, run them at for clearest picture?

Back