New rules for Sproat and great central lake

I think imposing the single barbless rule in these lakes is ridicules. No need for it, sad move, alot of ppl will get bitten by that this yr

All you gotta do is keep the pressure on the line so as long as you have 2 working arms.....
I made the switch after a few too many times I couldn't get the hook out....not really "fighting" a fish if you can't even get the hook out yourself, lol.
Try it.
You'll like it.

I think it's good, I'd rather fight and lose the fish on a single then have the fish in the boat with a throated triple hook that more likely than not kills the fish. Mind you I fish trout for fun not for food.

Cut-throats are catch-and-release anyway in Sproat Lake, I believe.....so you might as well use a hook that doesn't kill them.

I like fishing a single barbless hook it makes releasing the fish easy. I only use a treble (still barbless)if it's close too lunch and I don't have a shore lunch fish. In fact in the Nwt barbed hooks aren't permitted for sport fishing. It's also a real bonus not too be barbed if you happen too drive one into your hand by accident. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It saddens me to see that these responses are so egosentric.... In the world of regulations, once the public give something up, it is gone forever. If you ever try to get it back, it will never happen.
You can choose to not use barbs when your actually allowed, but for those less experienced or less fotunet anglers might still want to use them. Having a barb might assist them in landing what ever they might have a chance at. Fishing is suppsot to be fun and family orientated. Especially trout fishing where most kids get there start.
Sproat lake and great central lake have a healthy amount of fish in them, a healthy fishery on them and a hatchery that enhances them both, why i state that there no reason for the changes.
It is true that experienced fisherman will loose less fish on barbless then beginners, but the traditional gang troll and flat fish style far too common on both lakes is going to be alot tougher to land fish, even for the experienced!

I think imposing the single barbless rule in these lakes is ridicules. No need for it, sad move, alot of ppl will get bitten by that this yr
Im not sure why you would call it a sad move.... using barbless helps the fishes' chances of swimming away to live another day! If anything its a great move, and if people with minds same as yourself dont like it then maybe there will be less fishing pressure as well! Plus, with barbless, it takes more skill to bring in the fish, because you need to keep tension on the line the whole time, instead of cranking the fish in as fast as you can. So its all pluses, More c and R = Bigger fish. Less people fishing= More fish. The need to use barbless hooks and learn how to keep tension on the line= Makes you a better fisherman. Defence rests.

My children when they were just old enough to handle a rod fished barbless and still managed to land lots of fish and enjoy fishing. To bad there's to many grown men that can't handle it. Glad they are making it the rule in more and more places. Sick of seeing guys ripping half the face of small trout to retrieve their lures.

Yes, catch and release only for cuttys in Sproat Lake, And Dutch Poacher, I guess your name says it all, yes it probably is true that a barbed triple would increase the chance for a inexperienced angler to land a fish, however if that fish is a cutty that needs to be released, is that inexperienced angler going to be able to remove a throated barbed triple hook, I can tell you no way! Im sure there would be alot of floating fish.

If your a experienced fisherman you will not loose more fish -it's called tension, remember no barb means the hook goes farther in there head if know how set a hook properly ,for the inexperienced fisherman I can see them loosing more fish, if you want to go against the rules it's a 150$ Fine

I told myself I wouldn't respond but...

FYI DutchPoacher...there is NO hatchery enhancing trout stocks on Great Central or Sproat. The only exception would be residual steelhead smolts. Robertson Creek is coho/chinook/steelhead. No local trout.

I told myself I wouldn't respond but...

FYI DutchPoacher...there is NO hatchery enhancing trout stocks on Great Central or Sproat. The only exception would be residual steelhead smolts. Robertson Creek is coho/chinook/steelhead. No local trout.
Ya, ok so all the 12-18" rainbows that get caught aren't steelhead smolts.....

Yes, catch and release only for cuttys in Sproat Lake, And Dutch Poacher, I guess your name says it all, yes it probably is true that a barbed triple would increase the chance for a inexperienced angler to land a fish, however if that fish is a cutty that needs to be released, is that inexperienced angler going to be able to remove a throated barbed triple hook, I can tell you no way! Im sure there would be alot of floating fish.

And would a size 10 single be any easier when throat hooked and it is being pulled out of the stomach lining?
For the inexperienced, well, we where all that person at one time and had to learn. I personally never had a problem and would guess most ppl didn't have a problem. The odd one might die, but on the same not the odd one will die with single hooks too. I dont believe fisherman go out with the intention to not care about the environment or the fish stocks of the water they are on. Some anglers are just not as talented or experienced as others but the odd fish will die from C&R, even from the hands of the pros
To enlighten, i actually dont use trebbles, i would like to see it left as it was, where an angler could choose how they'd like to fish. Leaving the fishery as it was, alot more stimulating for family fishing with youngsters and inexperienced fishers. Leave the trophy lakes in out area for the picture hunters.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sorta walked into this one. Not really forum speak ;). I see your point. Once it's taken away...closed areas,bait ban, fly fish only etc. It's gone for good. I also understand what you mean for the inexperienced angler, any little advantage helps ;) Here's a couple of points to ponder. First, and it was already mentioned, the inexperienced are more likely to drive a hook into a finger if it's a kid...you want it barbless. Second and it's to your point of C&R . Mortality is factored into C&R, it's likely that the powers to be deemed the mortality rates to high and acted to improve them. I agree with it. Keep areas open, but make them single barbless. They could counter with a slight increase in limits on stockers, win win.

Get with the times DP. YOU are the one with the problem. Kids, new fishers these days can enjoy fishing these days even if it doesn't mean a tub full of fish. Losing fish, releasing fish unharmed is all part of the fun now. Some can even enjoy a day without catching anything. So unless you've got the newbies all pumped up in your ways, you are wrong about your theory in regards to new beginner fisherman. I have the kids to prove it.

I'd gladly see barbs and trebles banned everywhere there is a C&R fishery. I sure there will always be some mortality. Haven't yet seen a trout swallow a unbaited hook. I have seen the complications of treble hooked fish. Damage is usually done during the removal.

I see i struck a nerve with some of you by bringing this up for disscusion, i am glad i did as it needed to be brought to attention more so to inform ppl of the new changes.
I have had several good conversations with locals due to this thread and i welcome more!

Thanks for the comments boys

Let us know how it goes, like I said, I made the switch to single barbless about 2 years ago for everything, salt/fresh, big/small...EVERYTHING...and I love it, NEVER going back to barbs or trebles ever !
I'm also mainly on shore, not in a boat so give it a try and you'll probably never go back.

Back