New non skid

Sculpin

Well, I got a few years out of the job I did 3 years ago. I didn't prep the aluminum properly and the primer had issues :(. I waited till this year to do something about it as most of it had flaked off. I thought about the vinyl tiles from HD and even bought enough to do the job but thought they would be a pain to clean up. I ended up going with the Ferrocon brand of paint that quite a few builders use. It's a one step product after the proper prepping is all done. A friend and my son spent three days prepping the surface. Most of that was getting the rest of the old stuff off that actually stuck like ***** to a blanket. They did a great job and I think it turned out good :).

Continued....

Swim deck.

Gunnel rails.

Hopefully I get some longer life out of this stuff. Time will tell. The main thing is now all I have to do is fix a hydraulic line that fell victim to the prepping, clean her up a bit, and go fishing!!!:D.

looks Great ! did you have to completely grind /sand the old stuff off Sculpin?

beemer

looks great John, always a professional job from you!
that's a sweet ride for sure (coming from a glass guy:p)

looks Great ! did you have to completely grind /sand the old stuff off Sculpin?

beemer

Yup. That was the hardest part of the process. Hand scraped most of it off with various sharp scrapers, hit the non skid off with course paper on a 6" air sander, then finished it off with some 220 paper to roughen up the aluminum. Washed it off and degreased with proper thinner, hit it with some Endura aluminum cleaner and a fine scotch brite pad, rinse again, air dry, mask, and paint.

looks great! hope it lasts for a long time. My boat is in desperate need also with the anti-slip chipping away and faded... going to let it go until everything is 100% mechanically the way I want it, then I'll put some effort into the cosmetics...

Super Clean and tidy job there, aluminum is all about the prep otherwise the paint will not last long at all.

Great job.
Will this product work on fibreglass. Mine is getting close to needing it redone. Any suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try Kiwi Grip. I used it and was very happy with the results. Gets good reviews too. Some others on the forum here have used it as well.

http://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/

Sculpin's non skid looks very good though. Have not heard of the product he used and as he said it is all in the prep work.

Looking good Sculpin. It's been cool watching you fine tune the boat over the years. I think she's ready to sell to the highest bidder so you can buy Reelfast and put the boots to the tuna almost any day you want.

Back