New Lowrance gen3 with chirp

albernifisher

Gee, I havn't even figured out all the options on my gen2 and the gen3 is getting ready for release. Looks pretty good and I love the chirp function.

Most of the same features and speed of the Smirad NSS evo2, but still keeps the good outward looks and size of the current HDS touch series. Chirp, Broadband sonar, structure scan, wifi, bluetooth etc.....A few additional buttons on the right.
http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/HDS-Gen3/

Multi touch like the NSS as well

I just wish the NSS7 evo2 did custom splits like the hds' and I'd buy one; they are beautiful.

I've been saving up and resisted buying one of the touch units that are on sale to see what gen3 offered; it turns out that's a lot of extra's for only a couple hundred - should launch pretty pretty well because the tech has been in the simrads.

I'd imagine the Touch series will start getting blown at a good prices

I haven't seen chirp yet, but I think to really get quality chirp you have to have a pretty spendy transducer (750$). I notice they have added chirp to even the lower-end models, so you can chirp a normal transducer, but I can't really appreciate how it would be useful in the lakes these things will be used in. Chirping with a good transducer would be really useful looking for hali's etc.

Crazy how all this military tech is exploding into the fishfinder market and prices are becoming less obscene (relatively lol).

Just bought a touch 7, structurescan and a radar because the price was so low. Guess everything is launch in January in time for boat shows, not Xmas like regular electronics?

Not available to purchase until March apparently. I think I might just buy a touch

After reading a bunch last night I'm not convinced how useful this new affordable chirp is yet. Looks like, currently, this type of chirping will clean up the display a little, rather than a bait ball of fuzz it separates the arches a bit, and offers better target separation, but it's a hefty price when you factor in the transducer ($750); of all the screens of the striper guys using chirp and comparing it to broadband, there is definitely a crisper return but it illustrates the same information if you are comfortable interpreting sonar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back