New hooks, getting away from pricey gammies and looking for equal alternatives

smashingsprings

Looking into some sickle hooks.
Wanting to pre tie around 500 leaders for this season so I am going to be buying 1000 hooks, wanting some input to some good hooks for a good price.
cheers.
SS

maruto,, japanese commercial fishers couldnt be wrong, so i use em!!!

Marutos I got from PNT...first thing Rob told me was they WILL rust....

He said they were 'special design'...two years in the making......I wasn't impressed.

They don't look any better than any other good quality hook around......

owners....its what could be the connection point between you or your guests trophy of a life time, don't be cheap when it comes to hooks. The only other hook I would consider would be the mustad copy of the gami barbless octopus. Derby Used to get me those ones, not sure if he is still carrying them.

owners....its what could be the connection point between you or your guests trophy of a life time, don't be cheap when it comes to hooks. The only other hook I would consider would be the mustad copy of the gami barbless octopus. Derby Used to get me those ones, not sure if he is still carrying them.

Owners are overpriced for what you are getting. I really doubt you will put more fish a box fishing with Owners. Owners rust too.

im just getting the last of what is left this spring 5/0 size only..then they are done......did you want a few... :) I can always give some of my stash...I like them for the thompson river

I agree 100%, not only that, but every hook rusts eventually, even some so called stainless and not only that, but stainless will get brittle over time and will break at the eye. Just because a hook rusts, does not stop its effectiveness. I would be more concerned about hook strength and it's ability to keep an edge. For some reason people like to keep their hooks for way too long. I haven't tried the new Japanese hooks yet, but I will give them a go as soon as I locate some.

We are getting some of those hooks you are talking about at PNT this spring...singles ,trebles and siwash.. they look pretty good from what I have seen... :)

Pre-tying hooks is fine but you should consider leaving the bulk of your pre-ties at home --- just bring out on the chuck what you'll use in a couple of trips--otherwise, you're asking for rust.

Also, regarding hook quality and being ready for "the fish of a lifetime" etc etc ---in my humble opinion, what stands between a cheap hook and an expensive hook is....

a file.

Take a $ .05 cent per hook 3/0 Mustad out of a box. With a degree of finesse, apply a file to it. You now have a .30 per hook 3/0 Gamakatsu

Yes, the sexy blue and red and green looks good under the sun but bury it in a blue label herring and it's just a hook.

When it has a sharp point on it (as in "sticky" sharp on the thumbnail) , it's a premium hook buried in a blue label herring.

well...I fished River's Inlet in the early 90's and the entire inlet musta been fluking out in the biggest way....I will never forget the first night I flew in and saw 9 on the dock from 52 to 58.5 pounds and another 20 from 37 to 49 pounds.

Gamis and Owner's were no where to be seen or found....and we used 25 pound test on Hardy Longstones with a non existent drag....or Shimano 200 GT's.

Just my .02 ....

I don't think that's the point FM....The technology has improved in hooks, reels, etc, a better drag and ultra shrp/strong hooks won't guarantee anything but it does make a slight difference..And that slight difference could mean the difference between landing a fish of a lifetime and missing a hookup, I will go for the new technology.

well...I fished River's Inlet in the early 90's and the entire inlet musta been fluking out in the biggest way....I will never forget the first night I flew in and saw 9 on the dock from 52 to 58.5 pounds and another 20 from 37 to 49 pounds.

Gamis and Owner's were no where to be seen or found....and we used 25 pound test on Hardy Longstones with a non existent drag....or Shimano 200 GT's.

Just my .02 ....

Speaking of rust. Do you fish rusty hooks? They can still be sharp, but don't look appealing to fishermen. Do fish care?

fishig magician.......I was not saying that the eagle claw/mustad brand hooks weren't good. I guided on the central coast and in the charlottes for a decade and very rarely were premium hooks hanging from my hook keepers. I have seen many slabs hit the dock, 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s all caught on the inexpensive hooks. We also used mostly shimano 4000's so I know they can easily put fish on the dock.

The awnser to this thread is there aren't any hooks which are equal to the owners or gamies for sharpness and consistency right out of the box. When the bite is on I don't want to be sharpening hooks I want super sharp every time and right now.

When i'm spending hundreds on a days fishing weather a hook costs me 5 cents or 50 cents is the least of my worries......I just want them to all be super sharp.......you will not get this with a mustad or eagle claw out of the box.

I aslo find that the gamies and owners can easily stand up to multiple days fishing as long as you are using the black nickel finish. So anyways for these "new fancy" chemical sharpened you will pay a premium and I absoloutly think they are worth every penny.

When the bite is on I don't want to be sharpening hooks I want super sharp every time and right now.
That says it all.

On another note VMC used to have some killer Octopus hooks but since Rapala took over they aren't nearly as popular you don't see them around here much at all.

9299-octopus-black-nickel.jpg

Speaking of rust. Do you fish rusty hooks? They can still be sharp, but don't look appealing to fishermen. Do fish care?

I went fishing once with a guide who was showing a local guy how to fish. He looked through the tackle box and picked out a likely looking spoon whose hook was really rusty. When the guy asked if he should change the hook, the guide said with a straight face: "Rusty hooks hold better" The new fisherman laughed like it was the funniest joke he ever heard. The guide's face never changed. Slowly the laughter died, and we put the spoon down, rusty hook and all. it caught all the fish, and we didn't lose a single one.

I don't think rusty hooks should have a place at the table in a C&R fishery. And even if tetanus isn't in the cards for a fish I'm turning loose, I toss them because it's in the cards for me if I get stuck with one

Back