New Fisheries Patrol Aircraft

Over 300, that’s quite a few and likely not all got caught. Was this publicly reported?
How many were charged with illegal fishing.
I would expect this plane as was stated with awesome picture taking technology will be able to put together many cases to be prosecuted and hopefully bring an end to this practice.

ITs gets reported on almost every year, I'm surprised you don't no that with how much you read these forums.

ITs gets reported on almost every year, I'm surprised you don't no that with how much you read these forums.

I asked how many got charged? Don’t see that anywhere in the articles you posted.
If no one ever gets charged and convicted why would the practice ever end?

I think a jet boat for the Fraser and a zodiac patrolling Howe sound and the gulf islands might have been a better use of alot less money. How is it possible these huge , slow bayliners can keep coming out of the lower mainland and poaching everything within a 25 mile circle and not get caught? These things stick out like a sore thumb and in March and April are probably one of very few boats out there and yet dfo can’t figure it out. It’s embarrassing.

I think a jet boat for the Fraser and a zodiac patrolling Howe sound and the gulf islands might have been a better use of alot less money. How is it possible these huge , slow bayliners can keep coming out of the lower mainland and poaching everything within a 25 mile circle and not get caught? These things stick out like a sore thumb and in March and April are probably one of very few boats out there and yet dfo can’t figure it out. It’s embarrassing.
It’s called law and order. If you don’t charge and prosecute the perpetrators then it’s a free for all like the jewelry store smash and grabs they have in California. Same goes for the illegal net fishery in the Fraser. Only way to stop it is to enforce the law.

My understanding is crown prosecutor don’t think it’s illegal for First nations to fish. So charges against individuals don’t get approved.

apprently they were recently able to get some prosecutions to go though but they had to be fishing during early Fraser stocks of concern timing.

If they fish during later timmed where it’s closed but there is not necessarily endangered stocks, especially if other sectors can fish for the same stocks or it’s been open for full scale fsc
But closed at the time, then they have had a harder time getting charges approved.

most of the time the nets are unattended and fishing

they also recently were able to get a katezi band member illigal selling but apprently only charged the buyer.

you can blame DFO but ultimately criminal code, First Nation protocol, and a series of precedent setting court cases are they way things are.

DFO also got In trouble when they spent to many hours Patrolling and investigating First Nations. Discrimination, so they basically have to try to spread there hours out among all sectors

Anyone in the director level and up in DFO can be all fired, useless shills that do what they think there political Masters want and fail to act as public servants

Last edited:
Of course the nets are left unattended.
You don't illegally set a net and sit on it.
Most of the times there is look outs before it gets pulled. With look outs for the DFO boat that will either launch in Hope or island 22. Pretty easy to get around....The only productive DFO measures for the illegal netting on the Fraser is undercover patrols or flyovers in the helicopter.

Almost all the poachers are repeat offenders and know nothing will happen.

Wildmanyeah is completely correct on the charges not sticking. The whole justice is a joke, and not just in the fisheries department.

Here's the real answer...read it carefully - explains how Crown Prosecutor Service have their hands tied on S-35 cases....now you might see why taking pot shots at C&P enforcement and the tools they use isn't the right tree to bark up. Pretty challenging to do your job when the playing field has been tilted in a particular direction. In my mind a poacher is a poacher - they should all be treated exactly the same under our "in"-justice system.

Last edited:
No "pot shots" just facts.
The fisheries officers are just as frustrated as anyone else in the know. Their hands are tied.

The only bright spot is the FN enforcement from Lytton and other surrounding bands that are actually patrolling and making a difference in catching the poachers. Those DAILY patrols are actually having results.

Back