New Fisheries Patrol Aircraft

check out the latest popular boat addition. My next purchase…

Attachments

• DC861C34-0797-4AE1-A3CB-794BA42DB7D7.jpeg
    DC861C34-0797-4AE1-A3CB-794BA42DB7D7.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 107
I’ve kept my eye on this aircraft since they launched it. Man it seems they are really watching sport guys intently. I thought they’d be doing more ‘offshore surveillance’, but no, it seems to really be focussed on West Van, Constance Banks and most other spots we fish. This is this mornings routing.
1E8681FE-E941-41C9-AC3B-AD1F52AEA057.png

The electronics on this plane is incredible,
They did a test and could read drivers licence being held up by guys in a boat as they flew over.

The electronics on this plane is incredible,
They did a test and could read drivers licence being held up by guys in a boat as they flew over.
Tax dollars gone to waste,
I’ve kept my eye on this aircraft since they launched it. Man it seems they are really watching sport guys intently. I thought they’d be doing more ‘offshore surveillance’, but no, it seems to really be focussed on West Van, Constance Banks and most other spots we fish. This is this mornings routing.
View attachment 78483
Just joy to live in Trudeaus surveillance state, spying on a few sportfishermen.

I have no problem with this - we need a good set of eyes on the water that can detect illegal activity that leads to quality enforcement. No one likes poachers, and there's a few of those folks around these days going to great lengths to pilfer our fishery resources.

DFO has had surveillance long before Justin was a twinkle in Fidel's eye (circa 1867 as the Department of Marine and Fisheries), and aerial surveillance since at least 1998. But they have beefed up that aerial surveillance program in 2002, and again in 2017.

And the commercial boats have their VRN numbers for identification purposes on their sides and roofs for many years, as well. Some commercial fisheries (e.g. groundfish, crab & prawn) have Vessel Monitoring System (VMS) satellite tracking as well - along w 3rd party dockside monitoring - that is dictated within their Conditions of Licence:

So one familiar with enforcement and monitoring might instead recognize that the sportsfleet have a much reduced requirement for monitoring than much of the commercial fisheries. It's the lack of overtime allowed for DFO C&P on the ground that really interferes w enforcement capacity.

Last edited:
Quit complaining. The Yanks patrol in a helicopter with the door open and a guy attached to a hoist with a gun on his lap. When we used to fish on the fence ( the southern Canadian boundary ) we got buzzed more than once by these guys. A wimpy DFO plane taking some useless pics is nothing.

Complete waste of money.
Why not hire more officers and spend more time on the water or boots on the ground.

All this is a PR win as the clueless general public thinks DFO is actually doing something.

Complete waste of money.
Why not hire more officers and spend more time on the water or boots on the ground.

All this is a PR win as the clueless general public thinks DFO is actually doing something.
I don't think so, some of those high quality pictures lead to charges or warning depending on what is the most appropriate form of action (education vs deterrence) - evidence is still the fabric upon which a charge will lead to a conviction.

I don't think so, some of those high quality pictures lead to charges or warning depending on what is the most appropriate form of action (education vs deterrence) - evidence is still the fabric upon which a charge will lead to a conviction.

100 percent agree.

I guess we can look forward to some prosecution’s of the illegal net fishery in the Fraser this year then. Can’t wait to read about all the charges from this new plane confirming value for our tax dollars.

View attachment 78483

More than just watching sport guys on the water..

On a side note, when the massive flooding hit bc, this plane and crew were diverted to fly over damaged areas all throughout the mainland/interior, taking highly detailed images , also tasked with looking for damaged fiber optic cables on mountain sides while assessing other areas

DFO's got a lot more priorities besides the rec fishery....illegal crabbing for example, illegal fishing inside RCA's etc. Lots of ghost gear issues taking place off the Fraser. Silly for us to speculate as to what value the program brings and where the aircraft are tasked to patrol. Some of the tasking priorities come from where there are multiple reports made on the report line. If you want to make a difference, call in any illegal activity you see so there is a building record of problem hot spots.

I guess we can look forward to some prosecution’s of the illegal net fishery in the Fraser this year then. Can’t wait to read about all the charges from this new plane confirming value for our tax dollars.
Seems to me that with over 300 nets removed DFO is pretty familiar with the problem and where the nets are...they must be getting intel from somewhere?

Seems to me that with over 300 nets removed DFO is pretty familiar with the problem and where the nets are...they must be getting intel from somewhere?
Over 300, that’s quite a few and likely not all got caught. Was this publicly reported?
How many were charged with illegal fishing.
I would expect this plane as was stated with awesome picture taking technology will be able to put together many cases to be prosecuted and hopefully bring an end to this practice.

Back