New Elk Lake Buoys

The following is a copy of an e-mail letter just sent to
the CRD Parks Department. It is self explanatory.

Had an angler report to me last Friday May 14 that new buoys were placed on Elk Lake
that day. I was out fishing on the lake on Saturday May 15 and observed at least 16 new
buoys of various sizes and shapes in white, yellow and orange/red. They were placed
from the Rowing Centre and extending out into the lake roughly parallel to the Pat Bay
Highway. There does not seem to be any pattern to their distribution as some are strung
in a straight line while others are running perpendicular to this and not looking to be
connected to the line.

There was no apparent use of these buoys by rowers on Saturday although there were
numerous rowing shells out on the lake. No other lake users were observed in this
area other than anglers.

I would like to know what these buoys are for, who placed them and whether the Elk/
Beaver Lake Recreational Use Advisory Group members were consulted before the
placement of these buoys. If the Advisory Group was not consulted once again, then
it raises the question as to what purpose the Advisory Group serves (other than to
approve events, such as rowing regattas, which require boating restrictions).

I, and others, are aware that Transport Canada is the authority with respect to buoy
placement and we are all aware of the illegal buoys placed by the Victoria Rowing
Society. This continues to be an ongoing issue which the public is becoming more
frustrated with.

However, the CRD has considerable say in this matter as they have a Licence
Agreement between themselves and the Victoria Rowing Society which was re-
newed in 2008 for a period of 10 years. The agreement contains clauses which
put conditions on the VRS with respect to buoy placement application, approval
and reporting. I believe it is entirely within the CRD's power to order the VRS
to either not place buoys or to remove buoys which they have placed without
permission or support from the Advisory Group.

Please respond at your earliest convenience. The public is waiting for an answer.

[?][xx(]

Back