New closed killer whale critical areas

No point pressing the panic button. There are 5 Technical Working Groups formed. They have been tasked with developing management measures that are science-based

The first steps have been to establish which science data is available to help inform potential measures that are considered. It is becoming apparent that we might not have all the data we had hoped for as it is either unavailable or still being developed. DFO has promised to get as much of a rush on Critical data as possible so fingers crossed.

The focus for most participants appears so far to be on finding science-based options that provide a balance between effective recovery outcomes and ensuring responsible use of these Critical Habitat areas can still take place. Our sector still has our work cut out for us because there are some groups participating that bring a single predictable solution to the table. Fun times.

The existing critical habitat in Johnston straight still has gill net and seine openings as well as rec fishing. I wouldn't panic at this point however it is DFO we are talking about.

They didn’t follow science on the new measures and certainly didn’t listen to us about otter point etc. So I can see why many have little to no faith in the working groups and “behind the scenes”
Boy, with kind supportive comments like that, I can see why stuff stays "behind the scenes."

Boy, with kind supportive comments like that, I can see why stuff stays "behind the scenes."

Oh I think it’s a big part of the reason why people that choose to take part in the process keep **** to themselves because when they share, every one just wants to shoot the messenger.

I shared the go fund me on a few Facebook fishing pages and got ripped apart by some fellow sports fishermen.

Got comments like

• This is fake any organization would just raise money themselves and not let go fund me take money off the top.
  • Someone said your better to give money to hatcherys
  • Someone told me that they paid for a liecence so they already contribute way more then everyone else
  • Other personal attacks were lobbed my way and all for just sharing a go fund me that supports sports fishermen
  • Someone told me they don’t care they will just fish anyways
These were from people with hero picks with chinooks on their profiles too. Man it’s hard not to loose faith in sportsfishermen after dealing with that.

Sad to say the lease, we are often our own worse enemy’s

Very sad comments....and unfortunately one of the big reasons why the rec fishery continues to get trampled on. We are badly fractured.

I don't necessarily agree with everything the Department does when reaching management decisions regarding our fishery - but do appreciate that no matter what they do, it is impossible to satisfy everyone. If you need evidence of that, just read the posts on this forum.

What is good IMO, is they have listened carefully to feedback and tried to develop a carefully constructed process to engage all the interested stakeholders in Working Groups to address 5 key topics. They are listening to participants, and trying to work constructively with them to design recommendations for March 1 on short term management strategies to be in place by May 1, and longer term strategies for June 1.

I think it would be unworkable to invite every person or group who ever expressed an interest in this to be involved directly in the process - so if that is what "transparency" looks like, I'm afraid that is just not realistic IMO. Nor is debating every possible aspect of the issues being discussed at the WG table on some sort of internet forum - again, very unrealistic.

I had initially thought sharing some summary highlights of the main issues being developed along the journey would be helpful, but not so sure it is now given comments and will leave that to the Department to communicate out as they see fit.

We really need to ask the brains at DFO why they kill off what they call excess Chinook fry from standard egg take allowances at hatcheries from all over BC every year?! If DFO is so concerned about whales getting a full belly and wanting to ensure that they are not starving to death because they cant have their favorite cheese burger(salmon) to eat at dinner time...then why kill any hatchery Chinook raised for so called enhancement purposes?! There seems to be a REAL Live conflict within DFO itself.

Maybe they dont have to space or money to feed them?

also what about ESSR?

Apparently BC has a Chinook shortage and they are on the verge of extinction in more than a few systems according to scientists. We have issues with starving whales and problems with in river Pinnipeds smogging down on out going smolts and incoming adults. Hatchery systems, not wild rivers, yes they should. Before Europeans the rivers were black during spawn, loaded with fish...DFO is silly to play GOD like they do. Oops! Tooo many smolts, divide off the excess and KILL'EM ALL. Release them and let mother nature do the rest.

Most of the systems that are in trouble are wild systems, with respect to fraser chinook

Unfortunately there are more systems than simply the Fraser with low abundance issues. Hatcheries are part of augmented systems developed to enhance fisheries opportunities for all sectors, let's not forget that history and why they were implemented in the first place. So why kill off innocent l'il excess hatchery chinook smolts on any healthy(disease free) hatchery system that may in fact help feed staving whales in BC waters!? Think of the offset it may alleviate from in river Pinnipeds gorge feeding on the outgoing smolts and incoming adult Chinook salmon.

Yes but with respect to helping the SRKW its Fraser and Puget sound stocks that are of interest.

Careful with this response - where they insert "Tribal Parks" that actually means they are talking about restricting access unless you pay a fee for entry. That is what is being implemented in Tofino - 2019 being a "voluntary" year for businesses to get involved in the program, followed by a "mandatory" tax on all businesses and visitors for 2020. A new 4th level of government taxation. All sounds "environmental" but its really about tax collection IMO.

Careful with this response - where they insert "Tribal Parks" that actually means they are talking about restricting access unless you pay a fee for entry. That is what is being implemented in Tofino - 2019 being a "voluntary" year for businesses to get involved in the program, followed by a "mandatory" tax on all businesses and visitors for 2020. A new 4th level of government taxation. All sounds "environmental" but its really about tax collection IMO.

Bill C-262. if it gets passed will almost assure that we go to a system like that. Not wishing for it but it's probably coming. Just like fish farms will need to pay for access so will we. BC implementing these changes already is just getting out front of what is coming.

Last edited:
You would have to ask Wildman where he dug up this response to the Wild Salmon Policy - who was the author? So far as I can tell its just a response letter from some unknown source. Tribal Park scheme is something I've previously seen an academic from BC promoting for some time. The big issue I have with it is that the scheme is a game changer introducing a 4th level of government taxation - something the Canadian public can ill afford unless we eliminate a current level of government and taxation.

Back